What bank has the best English mobile app/website?

On 7/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, Wannaretire said:

First post and new member to the forum!

I'm planning my retirement next year ...

I did PM you some information on how to apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A (long-stay) Visa.

That Visa can provide you with almost 2 years of IO hassle-free stay in Thailand without the need of tieing up money in a thai bank-account or having to make monthly income-transfers.

Since October 2019 applying for that Visa now requires an IO-approved health-insurance policy, making it more difficult to apply for that Golden Visa.  However, if you know how, it is relatively easy to meet that mandatory health-insurance requirement.

>> To access your PM-messages just click the letter-icon next to your profile when logged-in to the Forum.

20 hours ago, CLW said:

I use KBank app. Works well for me.

I don't have another bank account.

On a side note, no app will allow installation on rooted / jailbreak phones even if you have security net installed.

FYI I have a rooted Android phone. No problem with Kasikorn, Krung Thai and Krungsri apps so far. You should use and set Magisk so that they don't see you are rooted.    

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stef said:

FYI I have a rooted Android phone. No problem with Kasikorn, Krung Thai and Krungsri apps so far. You should use and set Magisk so that they don't see you are rooted.    

You will not be able to log in to Bangkok Banks app with a rooted phone. Even with Magisk installed. At least it didn't work a year ago. I read some posts about it on other forums. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

You will not be able to log in to Bangkok Banks app with a rooted phone. Even with Magisk installed. At least it didn't work a year ago. I read some posts about it on other forums. 

Second that, I used Magisk with all possible settings I could find from the Internet, latest version of KBank app didn't work and with an older version of the app you can't access the services, too. Must always use the latest version for security reasons.

It'll be more a case of which bank will let you open a bank account !!
I had trouble and finally after visiting 18 bank branches in Chiang Mai (on a 1 year ED Visa btw) I got BKK to open one.

Their app is excellent and in English too but if you travel overseas they insist on sending OTP for payments to your Thai mobile number as they cannot apparently send to overseas numbers......I'm now stranded in Vietnam because of the virus and I cannot pay any bills in Thailand (except ones pre-registered when I was there as the OTP comes just once for each Payee set-up).

So, if you travel a lot overseas, avoid BKK.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:10 PM, CLW said:

Second that, I used Magisk with all possible settings I could find from the Internet, latest version of KBank app didn't work and with an older version of the app you can't access the services, too. Must always use the latest version for security reasons.

I sussed this out, you have to rename Magisk app to something else and it works fine !!

Also, of course use the Magisk Hide feature to ensure that BKK is selected.

You will find instructions on YouTube on how to rename it.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 5:46 PM, QPRFC said:

It'll be more a case of which bank will let you open a bank account !!
I had trouble and finally after visiting 18 bank branches in Chiang Mai (on a 1 year ED Visa btw) I got BKK to open one.

Their app is excellent and in English too but if you travel overseas they insist on sending OTP for payments to your Thai mobile number as they cannot apparently send to overseas numbers......I'm now stranded in Vietnam because of the virus and I cannot pay any bills in Thailand (except ones pre-registered when I was there as the OTP comes just once for each Payee set-up).

So, if you travel a lot overseas, avoid BKK.

You could enable roaming on your SIM, and keep your phone number active. Then just use that sim (or an old mobile) when you need to do banking.

Also, DTAC has an app that will send SMS over a data connection, so you don't even need roaming to get them, just an active DTAC number.