How to unlock a PDF?

Captain Monday

I just looked at my W10 and find I needed to install the MS app for print to pdf. It was not installed yet. 

Oops,,,,,,cancel that I do have it listed in my Devices and Printers,,,,,,,,,,,sorry!

Edited by longball53098

Locked pdfs usually have security restrictions on printing.  You may be able to print to paper, but you probably won't be able to print to another pdf, even using a different pdf print driver like the Microsoft pdf printer option.

There can be multiple locks on a pdf, so the password to open it for viewing and or printing to paper, may not allow you to save as or print to a new pdf.  There may be a separate password to give you full access to the file.

Screenshots or taking photos with your phone is one option.  If you can print to paper, you could then use your phone and an app (several good ones out there) to capture the individual pages and put them together into a new pdf.  They will just be images inside the pdf file (unless you run OCR on the images) so not searchable, but it'll give you a pdf you can at least send along.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I did the screenshots but I had to upload 9 screenshots for one doc. Not elegant hope it is accepted.

If you use Firefox and install the Fireshot addon, you can take a single screenshot from the whole PDF file and save it as a PDF

Fireshot Thaivisa.pdf

Edited by Susco

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

If you use Firefox and install the Fireshot addon, you can take a single screenshot from the whole PDF file and save it as a PDF

Fireshot Thaivisa.pdf 582.91 kB · 1 download

Not what I think the OP wants.  They want to save a protected PDF without the protection.  Very different thing from saving a web page.

Fireshot will capture an entire web page and save to pdf,  but it does not appear to capture an open pdf (that is open in the browser window) to a new pdf.

• Like 2

Command line program that lets you manipulate the different kinda of password on a PDF file:

https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-server/

You could remove the password from the existing file and mail the unprotected copy. If you then add a new, different password to the copy, it is again protected but you don't have to tell the recipient what the current password is. The program's "cat" operation just makes a new copy of some file.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

I did the screenshots but I had to upload 9 screenshots for one doc. Not elegant hope it is accepted.

You 'could' have rebundled them into a separate PDF. 

I'm assuming the document in question is a copyrighted work that the author is allowing you to view, but not copy or print, and is using the PDF security feature to protect their interests. If so, then discussing options (besides the simplistic screenshot option) might be in violation of the forum rules.

If the pdf document belongs to you, or the organization you work for, or there is no copyright or financial stake to protect, or someone unintentionally secured it then that might change things. This I understand as I have had to undo unintentional PDF locking for people who didn't understand the repercussions of password protecting their own documents.

Hopefully whatever it was you were trying to send is now sent and, as you hope, accepted by the receiving party.  

On 7/28/2020 at 8:26 PM, Captain Monday said:

How can I unlock a 9 page pdf file so I can attach it to an email without giving the recipient the password?

Let me get this straight in the first instance.  You are in possession of a pdf document that is password protected to open the document and you want to remove the password protection and then email the password-free document to your recipient?

If so, then it's quite easy to make the pdf document password-free but you may need an additional app.  So, in the first instance, you need to open the pdf document and enter your password.  Then you need to print, i.e. CTRL+P on Windows.  In the 'Name' dropdown of the print dialogue box you need to check if you can print to pdf, Nuance or suchlike.  If you can, then select the print device but don't press 'Print' just yet, merely enter the 'Properties' dialogue box to the right of the 'Name' field and goto the 'Security' tab.  All the options are then laid out before you.  You can restrict/un-restrict editing and/or password protect/unprotect the document.  

One last point, if you can achieve removal of the password then when you save the unrestricted pdf document then save it under a different file name, otherwise the password removal doesn't work, i.e. if you opened the original pdf document as Acme_Licence.pdf then when you come to save the unencrypted version then save it as something like Acme_Licence2.pdf. 

My employer does not permit unencrypted attachments to be transmitted by email so I password protect/unprotect pdfs every working day and our app is Nuance.  

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dave s said:

Command line program that lets you manipulate the different kinda of password on a PDF file:

https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-server/

You could remove the password from the existing file and mail the unprotected copy. If you then add a new, different password to the copy, it is again protected but you don't have to tell the recipient what the current password is. The program's "cat" operation just makes a new copy of some file.

Awesome little piece of software, but I don't think it'll work.

In my reply just above (assuming I get this reply in quickly) I created a test pdf file.  I set two passwords - "a" and "b".  "a" allows opening but not changing the document.  "b" allows changing the document.  Here were my results:

image.png.bb1c2677b2f67cd76aee9a08e6c7c4b5.png

The second try with the "b" password generated the new file "worked.pdf"

image.png.63188ed18198d14ad960154ac77ff0f4.png

But a great little piece of software!

Edit:  Of course it might work if the command line arguments I used aren't right.  Couldn't find anything else but there could be something.  Any ideas?

Edited by asiacurious
Added last line about possibility of other command line arguments working.

14 minutes ago, asiacurious said:

The problem is that pdfs can have two passwords with different permissions for each level.  One level can allow opening with a password but prevent printing, editing, removing passwords.  The second level can allow all of that.

If the OP is in possession of both of those passwords then he can restrict/un-restrict access as he sees fit.

I don't think we need to overcomplicate this as, unless I'm missing something, the OP merely wants to remove the password that opens the pdf document and email it to a friend and my solution works.

7 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Locked pdfs usually have security restrictions on printing.  You may be able to print to paper, but you probably won't be able to print to another pdf, even using a different pdf print driver like the Microsoft pdf printer option.

There can be multiple locks on a pdf, so the password to open it for viewing and or printing to paper, may not allow you to save as or print to a new pdf.  There may be a separate password to give you full access to the file.

Screenshots or taking photos with your phone is one option.  If you can print to paper, you could then use your phone and an app (several good ones out there) to capture the individual pages and put them together into a new pdf.  They will just be images inside the pdf file (unless you run OCR on the images) so not searchable, but it'll give you a pdf you can at least send along.

Just tried printing a password secured PDF (CC monthly statement) to MS PDF printer. Worked fine and the new file opened with no password.

What sort of document is it, why does the recipient need it unprotected, and what sort of protection is being used??

A protected PDF can be emailed and viewed, but depending on the protections enabled, may not be able to be "saved as" a new document, printed or altered..

More details on the problem can refine the answers.

I'm a bit confused as to the OP's position. Assuming he does not have the password/locking code (otherwise he could unlock, save as, print, scan & make new pdf, etc.

I am not going to discuss the various methods of opening secured pdfs, but to cut to the chase the below graphic is of one of dozens of similar programs which will do the job for you. Websites visible on all search engines. Search engines are your friend if you need to look further; I use this program for company business.

decrypter.jpg.51eb4d2c74b3f9307f13de4032322814.jpg

"Print" the file to XPS format and attach that. If recipient has a Windows machine, he'll be able to open it natively.

Password protected files generally can't be saved as files without password from just viewer/internet browser that supports PDF viewing. With Acrobat Professional however you can remove password and save it any way you want.

Using XPS, Microsoft's competitor to PDF that works in more or less the same way, is format conversion, hence password is removed.

• Like 1

This is very easy to accomplish. Google “unlock pdf” and you will get multiple free sites where you upload your pdf and then unlock and a unlocked version will automatically download.

i do it all the time. 

20 hours ago, WorriedNoodle said:

I've always had success with VeryPDF PDF Password Remover (my last version was v3.1 but YMMV). Available in the usual places.

I have had no luck with different "Unlockers" on a US Tricare form. If I contact you would you be willing to try this app on the form?

An easy way to unlock or edit a protected PDF file is to upload the file to Google Drive using Chrome. Once the file is uploaded, double click the file (from within Drive) to open it (with Chrome). It will now be possible to e.g. copy/paste the contents.

If you want to then save an editable copy of the PDF, use the Print function in Chrome but change the Destination option to "Save as PDF", NOT "Microsoft Print to PDF".

4 hours ago, longball53098 said:

I have had no luck with different "Unlockers" on a US Tricare form.

Some PDFs are simply 'flagged' as password protected, and unlocker apps can clear the flag.

But the owner/author can additionally choose to "Encrypt with password".

• 6 months later...

The PDF password cracking tool I often use now is recommended by Google. Like this tutorial:

https://www.passgeeker.com/crack-pdf-password.html

It involves 4 methods to crack passwords.

Or try John the Ripper to Crack PDF Password.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6970-john-the-ripper.html

It should be noted that when using John the Ripper, there are many points to be careful. It is a software involving more text content, which is not a good choice for novices.

Edited by Ballpom