Divorce when you're on a marriage extension

SteveK

I've just had the Labour Department ask for my marriage certificate and wife's ID for my work permit, the first time in 28 years. I'm on a Non-O which wasn't based on marriage because I got that visa in 1992 and didn't have a legal marriage until 2005.  I'm getting divorced shortly so I'm wondering if I'm going to run into problems next year.

I was just shocked to hear that if you end up getting divorced, they want you out of the country immediately!

Edited by ubonjoe
removed quote of a removed post and a comment about it

28 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

A total stranger starts talking about his divorce...

Best people to talk with, as long as they don't know your name or address.

A bit like posting on ThaiVISA.

Best advice to the German, don't divorce her, what's the rush?

Let your extension run out first, or maybe even renew.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I was just shocked to hear that if you end up getting divorced, they want you out of the country immediately!

Why should you surprised since you signed the acknowledgement of the terms and conditions for the extension when you applied for it

image.png.57a7bd891c49c3a63ad87b1b5b9dfdd6.png

They don't expect you to leave on the same day and as I wrote a divorce does not happen overnight. You have time to leave the country to get a visa and etc or apply for a different extension. I have suggested to people getting a divorce to go to a nearby consulate to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa before it happens that would remain valid after the divorce.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

If he has children here he can get an extension of stay based on that. Correct me if I'm off on terminology Joe.

Yes he could but he would have to at least have joint custody of his child from the divorce.

Even applying for a 60 day extension to visit them would be possible if more time was needed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They don't expect you to leave on the same day and as I wrote a divorce does not happen overnight. You have time to leave the country to get a visa and etc or apply for a different extension. I have suggested to people getting a divorce to go to a nearby consulate to apply for a multiple entry non-o visa before it happens that would remain valid after the divorce.

In Thailand the divorce happens when you sign the papers at the amphur office, so it effectively is overnight.

Then they want to boot you out? Felt a bit sorry for the guy.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

We got talking and he told me that he was getting divorced from his Thai wife and that meant that he had to leave the country the same day! Please tell me this is not true.

if he goes to amphur in a no contest divorce, then YES, unless he goes to immigration to give him 7 days for 1900 baht, normally...but with amensty ...

8 hours ago, SteveK said:

I've met people here who talked about much stranger things.

I met an Albanian guy in Bangkok who wanted to rent my house in the UK for for an insane amount of money and wanted to give me a million baht upfront. I imagine that he would be using a lot of electricity.

I met a British guy in Savannakhet who told me that he had contracted HIV and had essentially become a con artist.

I met a Kuwaiti guy who was hiding from his wife's family because they found out that he liked men.

And there's many more like that.

You seem to attract a lot of weird people. They must be reading you, right or wrong. I don't have the problem except occasional a girl asks me a question or will smile at me (pre masks). If their eyes squint I can only assume they smile. I don't strike up conversations with guys though.

The question referred to Non O Marriage visas, I think. Extension a Non O Marriage would be difficult if no longer married. Usually they want the wife to go to immigration with you.

Edited by checkered flag

7 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

How would you know? We foreigners have to sign a paper that says that your extension is invalid in case of a divorce. 

I wouldn't know because I'm still married, but on a retirement visa. It seems to be part of the divorce procedure. In other words your free and finished, plus your out of here dude.

Yinn is a sweet young thing that's never been married, so this is way beyond her. However she knows a lot about how things work in Thailand. If she gets married I pity the guy that crosses her. 

Edited by checkered flag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, checkered flag said:

I wouldn't know because still married, but on a retirement visa. It seems to be part of the divorce procedure. In other words your free and finished, plus your out of here dude.

I don't know in your case as I'm not retired yet. ????  We can change to another extension when the kids are young or on a depended extension when the kids are older. Retirement is also an option if you don't have a work permit. Business as well but that one ends also the day you end employment. They changed a lot a couple years ago, after 25+ years I lost track of the changes.

7 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

I don't know in your case as I'm not retired yet. ????  We can change to another extension when the kids are young or on a depended extension when the kids are older. Retirement is also an option if you don't have a work permit. Business as well but that one ends also the day you end employment. They changed a lot a couple years ago, after 25+ years I lost track of the changes.

Your are screwed then . As I said "your free, finished and out of here. In hindsight you should have been nicer to her.

Nowever a non O B might work? It's going to cost you.

1 hour ago, SomchaiCNX said:

How would you know? We foreigners have to sign a paper that says that your extension is invalid in case of a divorce. 

You didn't get it, go back to the post and then look at Yinns again, she has a sense of humor ????

She can also bite, I hear ?

Last year I had to sign the paper work that I unserstood I would need to leave if the marriage was finished. I do not remember exact details of how soon but yes you would need to leave after divorce. Unless of course you could work out some deal for another visa. Hard to do with everything closed at present

12 hours ago, SteveK said:

I met an Albanian guy in Bangkok who wanted to rent my house in the UK for for an insane amount of money and wanted to give me a million baht upfront. I imagine that he would be using a lot of electricity.

I met a British guy in Savannakhet who told me that he had contracted HIV and had essentially become a con artist.

I met a Kuwaiti guy who was hiding from his wife's family because they found out that he liked men.

You travel in strange places....

Its good to see you like to mix with the elite here in Thailand and elsewhere :whistling:

11 hours ago, SteveK said:

In Thailand the divorce happens when you sign the papers at the amphur office, so it effectively is overnight.

"In Thailand the divorce happens when you sign the papers at the amphur office, so it effectively is overnight."

Then the only way is to stall until you have to sign. That might give him some time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On Soi 4 I met girls who wanted to have sex with me.

I wonder if anybody marry any biatch for any other reason but visa ? Then why divorcing ? Are most men born idiots ?

And if it the biatch who wants to divorce, who really cares what she wants ? She is here to obey and follow, a real man should explain her !

Edited by salsajapan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, SteveK said:

Your visa expiring at the day of divorce isn't a big issues. As you can prepare for it.

But If I remember correctly, this also applies for the death of wife/husband!!!!! The same day!