Urinating at night

I have to urinate lots of time at night and I think my sleep is suffering because I am the whole day very dizzy and I don't have balance when walking. I am 78 so it should be "normal"! I got Firide 5 mg (Proscar) for it but it seems to take half a year before it start working! (?) I really am fed up because I cannot do anything anymore! Somebody can give me an idea for a solution? 

track down some real cbd oil and take it before bed every night. not a solution by any means but it will help you in some areas. one possible help is  that it may allow you to sleep for a longer period of time before you are woken up needing to go.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

I would support consulting an urologist, and then be ready to undertake a PSI and urine test and go from there. A PSI score of >10 is an indication that the prostate gland needs investigation. Dizziness may not be a consequence of waterworks medication, and I would also suggest taking an ECG, as it's common for elderly people to suffer from arterial blockage. 

Top Urology Hospitals In Bangkok

1. Bumrungrad International Hospital
  2. Vejthani Hospital
  3. BNH Hospital
  4. Yanhee Hospital
  5. Sikarin International Hospital

Neither options are dirt cheap, but it's better for your longer term health, than hoping it will go away. It won't. 

Thank you Stephenterry! I thought however, that the dizziness is because of nocturia! 

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I am 72, since a couple of years the same symptoms. 

I learned to live with it. 

The last thing I want is to see a doctor who will tell me to stop doing, eating, drinking all the things I like. 

It will probably be the last thing you do, then...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

Thank you Stephenterry! I thought however, that the dizziness is because of nocturia! 

I suffered similar symptoms. Last December while waiting for a hernia op, I had an ECG test - amongst many others - which resulted in identifying an aortic valve being partially calcified and preventing normal blood flow. I now take Vit K2/Vit D3 supplement which is (hopefully) clearing the arteries, and my dizziness is now minimal, if at all.

Not saying it's the same as yours, but better to be safe than suffer.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

As an older man, if I drink a lot of water before I go to bed, I tend to be up and down all night.  Best to stop drinking anything after say 5pm, bar maybe a coffee, which is a slight diuretic and contrary to popular myth, unless its an espresso, will not keep you awake. Seems to work for me. The other interesting phenomena, for me at least, is to have sex before sleep, that works too. 

Good advice not drinking after around 5 PM. As a Type 2 diabetic I used to have to go about 5 times a night. Now i drink lots of water mornings and afternoons to make sure I don't dehydrate and stop around 5 o'clock. Now I get up just 2 or 3 times a night which I can live with. I also stop eating around 4 or 5 pm which also helps your internal organs to rest. 8 hours sleep is achieved easily now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

I have to urinate lots of time at night and I think my sleep is suffering because I am the whole day very dizzy and I don't have balance when walking. I am 78 so it should be "normal"! I got Firide 5 mg (Proscar) for it but it seems to take half a year before it start working! (?) I really am fed up because I cannot do anything anymore! Somebody can give me an idea for a solution? 

Firide 5 (aka Finasteride) is to stop your prostate getting any larger, it doesn't fix the problem.

Doxazosin is the drug that allows you to wee normally again by relaxing the blood vessels around the prostate..

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Firide 5 (aka Finasteride) is to stop your prostate getting any larger, it doesn't fix the problem.

Doxazosin is the drug that allows you to wee normally again by relaxing the blood vessels around the prostate..

Wow! One doctor gave me Firide and Doxazosin and another one told me not to take them together!

25 minutes ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

Wow! One doctor gave me Firide and Doxazosin and another one told me not to take them together!

Firide 5 mg MAY decrease the size of the prostate gland in patients of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). ... Firide blocks the enzyme responsible for the production of dihydrotestosterone and lowers the level of dihydrotestosterone, which is responsible for growth of the prostate.

Doxazosin is indicated for the treatment of urinary outflow obstruction and symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). Doxazosin may be used in BPH patients who are either hypertensive or normotensive. Doxazosin may be administered in the morning or the evening.

I take both, and have been for the past 18 months.

Finastreide 5mg every other day to inhibit Prostate growth (it doesn't appear to decrease the size of my prostate).

Doxazocin 6mg every evening to facilitate normal urination.

If I stop taking the Finasteride (aka Firide), it makes no immediate difference.

If I stop taking Doxazocin, 2-3 days later I have problems urinating again.

The doctor telling you not to take them together was incompetent, as it's perfectly normal to take both.

Finasteride may cause erectile dysfunction (I'm not suffering that effect)

Doxazocin may cause dizziness when standing up, and blocked nose (I'm not suffering those either)

When first taking Doxazocin you need to start at minimum dose 2mg, and work up in 1mg steps every two weeks until you can urinate normally (max 8mg). You also need to monitor your blood pressure when taking Doxazocin, as it lowers BP, in my case 6mg lowers my BP from 120/80 to 90/60 .... which is the level for me than enables normal urination.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1