Urinating at night

I have had this problem of having to get up to pee at night. Admittedly not more than once at night but still annoying. The urologist said stop complaining you are getting old ha ha ( I am 76). I also take the prostate support made by now and the problem has gone away. I also had a problem staying asleep during the whole night, I tried melatonin but it didn’t help. I am now taking an antihistamine, Loratadine and I sleep like a dream. @Sheryl Is there any long-term risk from a daily antihistamine?

Cheers

Nick

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The dizziness may be unrelated and in itself needs investigation. Could be cardiac cause. Or could be an inner ear problem. When did you last have a complete check up?

As Sheryl notes, Dizziness can be from BPPV due to crystals in the ear,
There are some exercises that can help clear it. The Eply maneuver, the Half-somersault maneuver

The main sites also show you how to check for which ears are affected, so you could check.
In you condition, I think you should ensure that if you try any of the maneuvers do it with assistance.

Initially and until you are used to them be careful, they can spin you wildly. If you have the problem the checks will also do that.

I used the Half-somersault maneuver and can confirm its worked twice for me.

Edited by jojothai
correction
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:28 AM, mr mr said:

track down some real cbd oil and take it before bed every night. not a solution by any means but it will help you in some areas. one possible help is  that it may allow you to sleep for a longer period of time before you are woken up needing to go.

Yea that sound ok ,But he may "Go" whilst he is Sleeping an than he will have a Wet Cot.????

OP,

Not sleeping well will certainly make you tired but would not account for the dizziness. From the additional medical history you have now provided I suspect the cause is neurological and you had best see a neurologist, bringing all your past records with you. Assoc.Prof.Dr. Kanokwan Boonyapisit is very good and can be seen at either Bumrungrad or Siriraj

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Kanokwan-Boonyapisit

You may need an EEG

It also sounds like your sleep problems are of long standing and you were advised to have a sleep study to see if you had sleep apnea but did not do so, is that correct?

I am confused by the fact that you are on both finasteride and doxazosin but seem to have never seen a urologist. Who advised you to take these? Have you never had a PSA  or manual prostate exam? An ultrasound? For your symptoms, both prostate cancer and prostate infection/inflammation (prostatitis) need to be rules out before attributing it entirely to benign enlargement. Again you need to see a good urologist. In Bangkok, I recommend this doctor:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Viroj-Chodchoy

Can get a PSA level done first at an outside lab to save money.

When you say you are planning to go to your Australian doctor, do you mean you intend to return to Australia (and is that possible with COVID restrictions?)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OP,

Not sleeping well will certainly make you tired but would not account for the dizziness. From the additional medical history you have now provided I suspect the cause is neurological and you had best see a neurologist, bringing all your past records with you. Assoc.Prof.Dr. Kanokwan Boonyapisit is very good and can be seen at either Bumrungrad or Siriraj

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Kanokwan-Boonyapisit

You may need an EEG

It also sounds like your sleep problems are of long standing and you were advised to have a sleep study to see if you had sleep apnea but did not do so, is that correct?

I am confused by the fact that you are on both finasteride and doxazosin but seem to have never seen a urologist. Who advised you to take these? Have you never had a PSA  or manual prostate exam? An ultrasound? For your symptoms, both prostate cancer and prostate infection/inflammation (prostatitis) need to be rules out before attributing it entirely to benign enlargement. Again you need to see a good urologist. In Bangkok, I recommend this doctor:

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/doctors/Viroj-Chodchoy

Can get a PSA level done first at an outside lab to save money.

When you say you are planning to go to your Australian doctor, do you mean you intend to return to Australia (and is that possible with COVID restrictions?)

No, the Australian is a doctor here in a hospital!

Concerning the "sleep apnea" I slept good before so I think it was that they couldn't help me more! 

Those two medicines are given by my "standard" Australian doctor.

No, I didn't had an prostate exam that's why I concluded to do a "Green Scam". 

Saw palmetto, and both stinging nettle leaf and nettle root are remarkable tonics for the prostate and bladder. Forget big pharma. Go with nature. I use both. They help alot. They also help with general health of the prostate. 

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

Studies in people suggest that stinging nettle, in combination with other herbs (especially saw palmetto), may be effective at relieving symptoms such as reduced urinary flow, incomplete emptying of the bladder, post urination dripping, and the constant urge to urinate.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

No, the Australian is a doctor here in a hospital!

Concerning the "sleep apnea" I slept good before so I think it was that they couldn't help me more! 

Those two medicines are given by my "standard" Australian doctor.

No, I didn't had an prostate exam that's why I concluded to do a "Green Scam". 

if there is an Australian doctor practicing i nBangkok please send me the deatils (either posting here or by PM). Or did you mean Dr. Ian in Pattaya?

As mentioned you definitely need to see a  urologist for proper diagnosis. I do not know what you mean by a "green scan". The tests you need for sure are a PSA and a manual rectal exam, and possible, depending on the results of these, an ultrasound. Note that for the PSA it is important not to ejaculate for at least 72 hours prior as it can throw off the results.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

if there is an Australian doctor practicing i nBangkok please send me the deatils (either posting here or by PM). Or did you mean Dr. Ian in Pattaya?

As mentioned you definitely need to see a  urologist for proper diagnosis. I do not know what you mean by a "green scan". The tests you need for sure are a PSA and a manual rectal exam, and possible, depending on the results of these, an ultrasound. Note that for the PSA it is important not to ejaculate for at least 72 hours prior as it can throw off the results.

No it is dr. Nick Walters from Mission

I personally take Saw Pelmetto and it works for me. My brother who is older than me took the medication prescribed by the doctor for a few years and a month ago had to have an operation. 

I find that alcohol makes matters worse. It is worth trying the Saw Pelmetto before trying anthing invasive and expensive. Doctors for the most part are peddlers of drugs and operations so I would do my own research if I were you.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

My Glucose is under 100, around 97 before taking somwthing early morning!

..well you didnt mention that did you in your initial Post..not the place to ask what appears to be a complex issue..best get a Physician to do a full work up on you...Good luck.

50 minutes ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

No it is dr. Nick Walters from Mission

"

How GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy Works

GreenLight laser prostatectomy is a procedure in which the excess prostate tissue is removed to relieve constriction of the urethra, allowing easy passage of urine.

During the procedure, which is also known as photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP), the patient is sedated. The physician passes a cystoscope, a thin tube with a very small camera, into the urethra, the vessel that carries urine from the bladder through the penis and out of the body. A small fiber that transmits laser energy is then passed through the cystoscope.

The laser is used to vaporize excess prostate tissue that is limiting the flow of urine. Most patients can expect very rapid relief of their BPH symptoms, often within 24 hours of GreenLight Laser prostatectomy.

For most men, GreenLight laser prostatectomy is an outpatient procedure, allowing them to return home the same day."

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

You had my messages Sheryl?

2 hours ago, Bangkokianbaba said:

"

How GreenLight Laser Prostatectomy Works

GreenLight laser prostatectomy is a procedure in which the excess prostate tissue is removed to relieve constriction of the urethra, allowing easy passage of urine.

During the procedure, which is also known as photoselective vaporization of the prostate (PVP), the patient is sedated. The physician passes a cystoscope, a thin tube with a very small camera, into the urethra, the vessel that carries urine from the bladder through the penis and out of the body. A small fiber that transmits laser energy is then passed through the cystoscope.

The laser is used to vaporize excess prostate tissue that is limiting the flow of urine. Most patients can expect very rapid relief of their BPH symptoms, often within 24 hours of GreenLight Laser prostatectomy.

For most men, GreenLight laser prostatectomy is an outpatient procedure, allowing them to return home the same day."

This is not a diagnostic scan. This is a surgical treatment to reduce the size of the prostate in BPH. Not available in Thailand as far as I know.  Before even thinking about such treatments you need to get a handle on your condition: size of the prostate, whether any indication of cancer or inflammation.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:35 AM, colinneil said:

I would disagree with you about catheters.Not a good idea even thinking about using catheters.Catheters need inserting under strict hygienic conditions, not just inserted by yourself.

UTIs can be very unpleasant, and can be caused by improper insertion, attempting to do it on yourself is crazy.

Now before you come back and tell me i am wrong, the amount of times i have been hospitalized with UTIs is far too many.

You're taking the p**s, Colin????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Saw palmetto, and both stinging nettle leaf and nettle root are remarkable tonics for the prostate and bladder. Forget big pharma. Go with nature. I use both. They help alot. They also help with general health of the prostate. 

Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)

Studies in people suggest that stinging nettle, in combination with other herbs (especially saw palmetto), may be effective at relieving symptoms such as reduced urinary flow, incomplete emptying of the bladder, post urination dripping, and the constant urge to urinate.

Are they available in Thailand? (stinging nettle and saw palmetto)

Any particular brand?

The Thai name?

Edited by ravip

Haven't looked for stinging nettle but saw palmetto is available. This is the one I take. A bit expensive. I found these in a pharmacy supply wholesale warehouse among the vitamin rack.

20200730_145211.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 1:26 AM, J Town said:

I'm always amazed that anyone would ask a bunch of people like you & me for medical advice. Get thee to a doctor.

Wait, Stadtler is a doctor and Stadtler's advice is go see a doctor or use The Chinese Communist ZOOM and have a teleconference with one.

8 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I am not a doctor either but I have had prostate problems for over 20 years and it is

no joke.I also take Firide 5 mg and this does make your prostate smaller.But what the doctors

here in thailand don't say is Urirf 4mg to take as well.Which is available here in thailand.I got 

this from my brothers doctor in the USA.Now I take 1 each Firide 5 mg per day and if you 

start on the Urief 4mg take 1 in the morning and 1 at night before bed.After 4to 6 months of

taking Urief 4 mg you can stat cutting back to 1 pill before bed.It really works and I don't

even get up at all during the night. I hope this helps you as much as it helps me.Good luck!

But the major side-effect of Urief is that it constricts ejaculation - this is unpleasant, particularly if you're in a steady relationship!!!

I have chronic anxiety to the point where it feels you need to pee even when you don't have too.

The doctor back in England gave me 5mg oxybutynin hydrochloride.  It works well for me.  And you can buy it in Thailand in bigger drug stores.

Edited by johnray

"I have to urinate lots of time at night and I think my sleep is suffering..."

If a female (~50) is having this symptom, what could be the cause? Any recommended tests?

(I am not trying to hijack the thread. Posted here as it is similar) 

Just now, ravip said:

"I have to urinate lots of time at night and I think my sleep is suffering..."

If a female (~50) is having this symptom, what could be the cause? Any recommended tests?

(I am not trying to hijack the thread. Posted here as it is similar) 

Diabetes.

46 minutes ago, johnray said:

I have chronic anxiety to the point where it feels you need to pee even when you don't have too.

The doctor back in England gave me 5mg oxybutynin hydrochloride.  It works well for me.  And you can buy it in Thailand in bigger drug stores.

in someone with an enlarged prostate this could cause dangerous urinary retention leading to infection etc. Not advisable for OP's situation which is quite different from yours.