New French Europe minister - Brexit deal possible but not 'at any price'

snoop1130

New French Europe minister - Brexit deal possible but not 'at any price'

2020-07-29T082008Z_1_LYNXNPEG6S0J9_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-BORDER.JPG

FILE PHOTO: European Union and British flags flutter in front of a chancellery ahead of a visit of British Prime Minister Theresa May in Berlin, Germany, April 9, 2019. REUTERS/Hannibal Hanschke/File Photo

PARIS (Reuters) - France will continue to take a tough line on defending the rights of French fishermen in Brexit talks but a deal with the United Kingdom is still possible, France's new European affairs minister Clement Beaune said on Wednesday.

"We will not accept a deal at any price," he told France Inter radio in his first public comments on Brexit since his appointment on Sunday. "Better no deal at all than a bad deal," he said while adding that a deal was nevertheless the best outcome for all concerned.

Britain and the European Union clashed last week over the chances of securing a free trade agreement, with Brussels deeming it "unlikely" but London holding out hope one could be reached in September.

France is one of the coastal states that has pushed hardest for EU fishermen to keep the right to fish in British waters after a transition period ends at the end of this year.

Before becoming Europe minister, Beaune served as President Emmanuel Macron's Europe adviser. A self-described anglophile, he has advised Macron on Brexit negotiations since the 2016 referendum.

He said France would be "intransigent" on fishing, and will not be "intimidated" by Britain in the negotiation "game".

"Let's not kid ourselves, if there is no deal, it will be a difficult issue," he added. "We'll have to organise a response for sectors like fisheries. Support our fishermen financially. We're not there yet."

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-29

8 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

hmm, right I see, those rights

but then defending rights is hardly adequate language

argue for rights

fight for rights

demand rights

would be more to the point and easier to understand

defending rights you don't have on the outset doesn't go down easily

I think you're right there. ????

5 hours ago, Victornoir said:

France like its neighbors prefers to sacrifice its miserable artisanal fishing for the benefit of highly profitable financial services.

This statement for the sole purpose of containing the future demonstrations of disappointed fishermen.

And, where will these demonstrations take plaice ?:whistling:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Victornoir said:

France like its neighbors prefers to sacrifice its miserable artisanal fishing for the benefit of highly profitable financial services.

This statement for the sole purpose of containing the future demonstrations of disappointed fishermen.

Was that pun intended?

9 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

france, known for their excessive holidays and numerous strikes for nothing & everything

Yes, but I think Air France and Paris ATC will probably give it a miss this year. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

The rights the UK will have to grant if it wants the right of tariff-free access to the single market in return. 

It will be an interesting test of EU solidarity, if the other 26 member states, want a deal and France holds out so its Fishermen can clean out British waters as they've done to their own.

Self interest in the EU has been bubbling for some time. France and Spain are the two that want to fish British waters.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, transam said:

They'll have a Dab at it, if they come out happy they will be doing the Conger, though I think they won't and call it a load of Pollock's...????

Cod almighty, you are really Floundering now, just for the Halibut.????

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

With Malin aforethought I guess?

Cod off, I saw the bloke on a Skate, thought he could get aRay, I Guppy'd him with a left Hook, which left him Flounder-ing in the Surf, what a Sprat....

• Haha 1

Just now, sammieuk1 said:

Will the next breaking news be no more wee wee in our channel or will Boris back down and say you can wee wee all over me tense moist times ahead ????

Please move this to your favourite Fetish Forum.

• Haha 2