New French Europe minister - Brexit deal possible but not 'at any price'

snoop1130

13 minutes ago, transam said:

Ah, another anti-British jibe, really does make you look...............????

But hey, envy shows in different ways eh....????

Don't worry probably from 1 Jan.2021 It could happen  I start pitying the U.K.  ???? however that shall need a 2 weeks before it starts in full  ????

Edited by david555

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Your wording and knowledge of the English language is also lacking. I quote:

"Which meant that come 1983 and the Common Fisheries Policy, there were very few British boats fishing in British coastal waters. So as the quotas were based on historical catches, most went to the countries who had historically caught more in those waters than the tiny British coastal fleet had".

This reads as if the CFP commenced in 1983. But it was there from the off, within The Treaty of Rome.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/factsheets/en/sheet/114/a-kozos-halaszati-politika-kezdet-es-fejlemenyek

The CFP is the reason why Norway never became a full member of the EEC/EU and I bet they are happy about that now.

Such a shame we joined, rejecting Le Club would have saved so much upset.

Now TGIF and I'm off for my Guinness and Chips (no fish due to the CFP).

0/10; poor effort.

Nothing in the part you have quoted, or any other part of my post, is incorrect.

I know the history of the CFP; I linked to it, remember? Same link as yours, in fact.

I repeat my quote from that document

3. CFP regulations and reforms

a. The 1983 regulation

In 1983, after several years of negotiations, the Council adopted Regulation (EEC) No 170/83, establishing the new generation CFP,

(7by7 emphasis)

What about "establishing the new generation CFP" is that you can't comprehend?

Of course, as I again said, that regulation has since been superseded several times, the last being in 2013.

You dropped a ballock. I know you'll never admit it, but better to have kept quiet than embarrass yourself further with the above feeble excuse.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, transam said:

<snip>

the UK's fishing industry was decimated by being in the EU

No, the UK's fishing industry was decimated by the refusal of  British fleet owners to convert the distant water fleet to coastal fishing after the cod wars. Preferring instead to scrap the vessels and make the men redundant.

Even then, the situation would not have been so dire if the British government had not allowed British licence holders to sell their licences to the highest, usually foreign, bidder.

I refer you once again to Privatising the seas: how the UK turned fishing rights into a commodity and suggest you read it this time.

38 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, and they should sort all those immigrants out that are camped up on their soil, instead of helping them to get to the UK....

If you, @Loiner and others who make the same accusation are so sure about this, why do you never produce even a single credible source to back it up?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, transam said:

They can fish in their own waters again

The UK fleet already catches most of it's fish in UK waters with the second highest source being EU waters; Statistics show where UK vessels fish and what is landed from our waters

In 2017, UK fishing vessels landed the majority of their catch from UK waters; 80 per cent by quantity and 83 per cent by value.

The waters of other EU member states were the second most important region for the UK’s fleet; accounting for 13% by quantity and 9% by value of the UK’s total landings in 2017. Landings from third country waters (such as Norway) and international waters made up the remainder.

Not how much comes from French waters; 14,000 tonnes, £17 million.

I'll grant you those figures are three years old; but if you have more up to date ones showing a different picture, please produce them.

I'll also grant you that much of the fleet, and hence the quota, is foreign owned; thanks to the actions of the British government (see my post above). But they still land much of their catch in the UK and employ British crews. Brexit trade deal: Who really owns UK fishing quotas?

Current rules say even if vessels are 100% foreign-owned, they must have an "economic link" to the UK. That means they must meet one of five conditions, which include landing more than half their catch at UK ports or having majority British crews.

Note also

Under plans outlined in the Fisheries Bill, which is currently going through Parliament, the government does not intend to return the foreign-owned quota to UK fishermen.

So what, exactly, will Brexit achieve for British fishermen?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Yes, of course I know. , as does everybody in the UK.

You know that how?

Where would you know any different from - are you close to the illegals?

You are the one claiming to know all about people smuggling across the Channel; so how close are you to the migrants and smugglers? (See, I can make absurd accusations, too!)

So you think a couple of scallops may have been caught by a UK fisherman, which makes it OK for the EU to demand rights to plunder the UK's sovereign waters? Yes, that's just your whataboutery and anti-UK prejudice at it again.

It is not a couple of scallops; it's tonnes!

From my previous: "Note how much comes from French waters; 14,000 tonnes, £17 million."

For more facts; see my previous posts.  

Not that'll you accept those fact or even try and find some with which to dispute them. Your attitude to facts is summed up by 

14 minutes ago, Loiner said:

Because we are not playing your 'teacher setting homework' games. Some of us have more to do than waste time google trawling for dubious backup as you.

You've plenty of time to waste posting absurd, unfounded myths which are easily disproven. Maybe if you devoted a fraction of that time looking for facts to support your arguments you wouldn't make a fool of yourself as often as you do!

Edited by 7by7
Addendum
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 7:14 PM, lungbing said:

I thought France had a very long coastline of its own.  Go and fish there.

Over the years they have so overfished it that all the fish stocks have been hoovered up. That is why they are so desperate to keep access to the UK fishing waters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 7by7 said:

0/10; poor effort.

Nothing in the part you have quoted, or any other part of my post, is incorrect.

I know the history of the CFP; I linked to it, remember? Same link as yours, in fact.

I repeat my quote from that document

What about "establishing the new generation CFP" is that you can't comprehend?

Of course, as I again said, that regulation has since been superseded several times, the last being in 2013.

You dropped a ballock. I know you'll never admit it, but better to have kept quiet than embarrass yourself further with the above feeble excuse.

Talking your usual and, now, expected riddles. Yes, the CFP was altered in 1983 but the existing one had already caused enough damage. 

My nuts are secure in their sack. Thanks for your concern.

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Really?

Then explain how the UK fleet alone is able to catch an average of 14,000 tonnes a year in French waters. (Source)

With difficulty, apart from them poor scallops. 14,000 tonnes a year is nothing. It is a maximum of 1.7% of the total UK catch weight (from the  data within your own source). 

• Like 1

I was and if the option was still there a remainer, but now we have played our hand and covid has helped us realise our position early, difficult. Whilst things maybe not how they were, leaving without a deal allows us to show the EU what hundreds of years of networking globally has done. We are a superpower and we have the backing of the US and of they mess with us you know the US will honour us and do a sweeter deal and that will prompt EU to bend over and lube up.

It's Great Britain for a reason and it's time to ensure nobody ever forgets that again.

We did a deal with the EU once we will do a better deal very soon. 

Sturgeon shut up time to fall inline you are not even a hair on our British ass.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Loiner said:

They won’t keep their illegal immigrants on their side of it. Do you honestly expect they would even try to keep their own fish thieves on their side?

hardly, but it would be the task of the UK Navy/CoastGuard's to safeguard the fish in UK waters

anyway,

how many / how large UKish fishing quotas have been sold/rented out to French companies?

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

No, the UK's fishing industry was decimated by the refusal of  British fleet owners to convert the distant water fleet to coastal fishing after the cod wars. Preferring instead to scrap the vessels and make the men redundant.

Even then, the situation would not have been so dire if the British government had not allowed British licence holders to sell their licences to the highest, usually foreign, bidder.

I refer you once again to Privatising the seas: how the UK turned fishing rights into a commodity and suggest you read it this time.

If you, @Loiner and others who make the same accusation are so sure about this, why do you never produce even a single credible source to back it up?

Hello, and how are you today....?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The UK fleet already catches most of it's fish in UK waters with the second highest source being EU waters; Statistics show where UK vessels fish and what is landed from our waters

I'll grant you those figures are three years old; but if you have more up to date ones showing a different picture, please produce them.

I'll also grant you that much of the fleet, and hence the quota, is foreign owned; thanks to the actions of the British government (see my post above). But they still land much of their catch in the UK and employ British crews. Brexit trade deal: Who really owns UK fishing quotas?

Note also

Freedom, our land and waters once again our control, something that you will never understand..????

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Note also

UK waters quotas will be a thing of the past, or controlled by the UK, not the EU...........Freedom.....????

Though about 30 years back, I was told I could not bring Cod ashore via boat using rod and line, Cod stocks were stuffed it seems...

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, CG1 Blue said:
On 7/31/2020 at 1:47 PM, 7by7 said:

Really?

Then explain how the UK fleet alone is able to catch an average of 14,000 tonnes a year in French waters. (Source)

Considering the French are our neighbours, 14,000 tonnes out of a total of 581,000 tonnes is not a lot. 

Didn't say that it was. I'll take your word for it that 581,000 tonnes of fish is caught in French waters each year.

Thank you for helping to prove the absurdity of @herfiehandbag's comment about the French and French waters

On 7/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Over the years they have so overfished it that all the fish stocks have been hoovered up. That is why they are so desperate to keep access to the UK fishing waters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, nauseus said:

With difficulty, apart from them poor scallops. 14,000 tonnes a year is nothing. It is a maximum of 1.7% of the total UK catch weight (from the  data within your own source). 

Not the point. The point being that there are fish in French waters.

Hence the absurdity of @herfiehandbag's comment about the French and French waters

On 7/31/2020 at 1:12 PM, herfiehandbag said:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1