New French Europe minister - Brexit deal possible but not 'at any price'

snoop1130

26 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes the only thing which will bother you is the exchange rate.

Thats because you are in Thailand rather than doing your patriotic duty and returning to the UK to help forge the UK into the world leader it once was. Who better to lead the country to the sunny uplands complete with unicorns than the plucky Brexiteers with their Dunkirk spirit ????

Really, well some have to retire ol' chap, and me in my eighth decade, I think I am entitled to, don't you..?  Can you not think outside your box about that stuff....?

I suppose you are in Scotland then....?...????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Yes the only thing which will bother you is the exchange rate.

Thats because you are in Thailand rather than doing your patriotic duty and returning to the UK to help forge the UK into the world leader it once was. Who better to lead the country to the sunny uplands complete with unicorns than the plucky Brexiteers with their Dunkirk spirit ????

re patriotic duty;

don't neglect that much patriotism has been offered and spoken from the vantage point of Thai barstools

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Wont it be ironic if your business fails because of Brexit?

Still, as you lock the door for the last time you will be able to say to yourself "Well I had a good run now I will be able to find something more exciting to do. Like picking fruit and vegetables on a local farm". 

What you describe as being negative many of us call being realistic.

Because its what the evidence is pointing to.

Even the government are telling businesses and the NHS to stockpile in order to overcome the expected disruption come January. 

First I was confronted by those that wanted to remain in the EU with a wish that all the ‘older’ generation would die off and the younger voters would then ‘sensibly’ reverse the decision to leave.

Now I sense a feeling in your reply that you would be elated if my business failed.

After working 7 different jobs in 6 different industries and starting 3 businesses in my 52 year working life, my business may change due to Brexit, but the only thing that will make it fail is failing to adapt or not getting out of bed to work when I could have retired 12 years ago.

I am realistically positive I will survive, my business will survive, the world won’t come to an end and beer will still be available.

Evidence is when you have a scientifically presented outcome that can be repeated. Not a presentation of ‘possibilities’ and predictions. Perhaps if you came up with a truly devastating scenario, then as a non voter I may be persuaded to join the ‘remainers’.

And to sum up, I haven’t listened to a great deal the UK government has said in the last 31+ years.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

More assumptions and scare mongering from a scaredy..... ????

Are you really calling Boris and his government scaredy (sic)?

Because that is where the warnings and advice to stockpile are coming from!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

I have done 4+ years of commenting over Brexit, now Brexit is done, the UK moves on, but now, I am having fun with you and a couple of others who are wading in their own miserable stuff and can't move on...It's my daily routine to see what comes up regarding Brexit, good fun...????

You have done 4+ years of childish insults and baseless facts. The amount of posts of yours which contain anything of substance, let alone evidence to back up your opinions, can be counted on the fingers of Captain Hook's left hand!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, transam said:

I don't need to cheer up, Brexit is done, and nothing will affect me up or down except the exchange rate....Those who are wallowing should get over it.

"Nothing will effect (sic) me. up or down" Which sums up the position of TVF's expat Brexiteer's succinctly. In other words, it wont affect you so you don't care.

You're right; it won't, but those of us here in the UK do care because we will be affected as GDP drops, unemployment rises, not just because of Covid 19 but Brexit also, prices rise, food standards drop to accommodate the USA, farmers go out of business because WTO rules mean we have to accept cheap imports, ditto for fishermen, etc.

But you should be worried, because as you also say "except the exchange rate." What will you do if (when?) Brexit causes Sterling to fall so low that your income from the UK is no longer enough for your visa? 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Are you really calling Boris and his government scaredy (sic)?

Because that is where the warnings and advice to stockpile are coming from!

When your head is in the sand, it's hard to know who's talking 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

"Nothing will effect (sic) me. up or down" Which sums up the position of TVF's expat Brexiteer's succinctly. In other words, it wont affect you so you don't care.

You're right; it won't, but those of us here in the UK do care because we will be affected as GDP drops, unemployment rises, not just because of Covid 19 but Brexit also, prices rise, food standards drop to accommodate the USA, farmers go out of business because WTO rules mean we have to accept cheap imports, ditto for fishermen, etc.

But you should be worried, because as you also say "except the exchange rate." What will you do if (when?) Brexit causes Sterling to fall so low that your income from the UK is no longer enough for your visa? 

Mine's already down there.

10 minutes ago, nauseus said:

No he hasn't. Insults were exclusively owned by remainers for a very long long time before they corrupted us civilized leavers via their bilious verbal attacks.   

Let's call a truce, and perhaps share a few beers at sunset on New Year's Eve, as we watch the last remnants of the British Empire commit financial suicide in the name of sovereignty.

We could even play football on no man's land, on Christmas Day naturally.

I expect Thai Visa will sponsor us, or at least pay for the ball 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Yeah I knew what I was voting for. If the Scots want to leave the UK then more fool them. I certainly won't be shedding any tears that's for sure, I'll be laughing when the EU tries to pull your pants down for EU membership though.

"Warning" me that the Scots might vote to leave the UK is a bit like warning me that my Mother In Law might not come to stay for Christmas ????. OOOhhhhh, really scary!!

Excellent then give us the section 30 order so we can be out of your way.

Oh no you cant can you.

Your English exceptionalism prevents it.

What else was on your mother in laws list?

No access to the EU single market?

Selling the NHS off to American healthcare?

New trade deals with the rest of the world?

Mass unemployment?

The city of London moving overseas?

OOOhhhhh scary aint it. But you knew what you were voting for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lormak said:

Listen my friend....  I retired early after running my own successful business in the UK for 25+ years. I gave employment to 16-18 people.  I paid a shedload of tax. I've done more than my share for the UK.  What have you contributed to the UK?

I have properties in the UK (providing housing) as well as other investments.

My monthly income is at least double what I spend here and way above the requirement for a retirement visa. I have no need nor desire to work..

But surely its your patriotic duty to go back to England and help it become everything Brexit promised it would be?

Your country needs you.

And what I have done for my country far outweighs paying tax. What I have done is pay my full amount of tax with no evasion or avoidance and served in the British army for 8 years in both foreign and domestic wars.

But of course you are a patriot and I am not.

By the way. I retired at the age of 47. How long did it take you? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaLa said:

First I was confronted by those that wanted to remain in the EU with a wish that all the ‘older’ generation would die off and the younger voters would then ‘sensibly’ reverse the decision to leave.

Now I sense a feeling in your reply that you would be elated if my business failed.

After working 7 different jobs in 6 different industries and starting 3 businesses in my 52 year working life, my business may change due to Brexit, but the only thing that will make it fail is failing to adapt or not getting out of bed to work when I could have retired 12 years ago.

I am realistically positive I will survive, my business will survive, the world won’t come to an end and beer will still be available.

Evidence is when you have a scientifically presented outcome that can be repeated. Not a presentation of ‘possibilities’ and predictions. Perhaps if you came up with a truly devastating scenario, then as a non voter I may be persuaded to join the ‘remainers’.

And to sum up, I haven’t listened to a great deal the UK government has said in the last 31+ years.

Hit a raw one there didn't I?

I have no wish to see your business fail. Why would I? Snuffing your candle does not make mine any brighter.

However I can foresee your business having far more issues trading with the EU than it had before Brexit.

I would be right about that wouldn't I.

So whatever issues befall your company please remember. You support it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Let's call a truce, and perhaps share a few beers at sunset on New Year's Eve, as we watch the last remnants of the British Empire commit financial suicide in the name of sovereignty.

We could even play football on no man's land, on Christmas Day naturally.

I expect Thai Visa will sponsor us, or at least pay for the ball 

Just an admission of guilt will do fine. I will accept that as my pressie.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Excellent then give us the section 30 order so we can be out of your way.

Oh no you cant can you.

Your English exceptionalism prevents it.

What else was on your mother in laws list?

No access to the EU single market?

Selling the NHS off to American healthcare?

New trade deals with the rest of the world?

Mass unemployment?

The city of London moving overseas?

OOOhhhhh scary aint it. But you knew what you were voting for.

Looks like Hogwarts was badly affected by the lockdown too.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/3/2020 at 6:40 AM, bannork said:

Plenty of time for Stormer to pull the party round. Let the hard left and woke characters go into oblivion. Johnson, meanwhile, has very little time to avoid the financial disaster of Covid combined with a hard Brexit.

Not worth responding to,but obv you will lol    Personally I hope scothland gets independence,really,get shut,and no coming back.  A read few days ago scothland economic advisor whatever spelt it out and truly I hope it goes according to his plan

Uk saves 73 billion,causes riots near continent,beautifully done,and as for that pile of s.hite eire,cut off from reality

• Sad 1