EPacket to USA now available ! Similar to airmail but just a bit more expensive it seems

salsajapan

Have you actually sent anything by EPacket from Thailand? 

In China, you have to have a registered business to use the EPacket system.  At least that's what they told me at China Post...

I'm asking because I don't know.  Not to make some kind of point...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

In Hong Kong it's called E-Express and is indeed a lot cheaper than EMS: minimum charge to the U.S. is about US$5.50 for 50g or less, or around US$23 for the maximum weight of 2kg. (EMS costs more than twice as much.)

Anyone can use it, including individuals, but you have to register an account first and then print out the special shipping label yourself and pay online.

(It's quite possible that mail from Thailand to the U.S. gets transhipped through Hong Kong, Taipei, etc these days.)

Edited by taxout
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, impulse said:

Have you actually sent anything by EPacket from Thailand? 

In China, you have to have a registered business to use the EPacket system.  At least that's what they told me at China Post...

I'm asking because I don't know.  Not to make some kind of point...

Sent epacket to several different countries, no business requirement. Its good because its trackable too. BUT lower insurance cover, think max is 1500.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, taxout said:

In Hong Kong it's called E-Express and is indeed a lot cheaper than EMS: minimum charge to the U.S. is about US$5.50 for 50g or less, or around US$23 for the maximum weight of 2kg. (EMS costs more than twice as much.)

Anyone can use it, including individuals, but you have to register an account first and then print out the special shipping label yourself and pay online.

(It's quite possible that mail from Thailand to the U.S. gets transhipped through Hong Kong, Taipei, etc these days.)

That's good news, but....

I order a lot of stuff from China (AliExpress) that's shipped via EPacket that costs less than $5.50 all in.  That includes the cost of the goodies AND the cost of the EPacket shipping. 

Still, nice to save 1/2 off EMS.  But if Thailand wants to get serious about being competitive in International E-Commerce, they need to play hardball next time they negotiate international postal treaties.  Like China keeps doing...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Hong Kong and Mainland China operate different postal systems.

I believe Aliexpress has some sort of bulk arrangement with USPS that can make individual shipments very cheap. I also think that at least around Asia they ship bulk to Singapore and then re-mail via Singapore Post at very cheap rates. (That's one reason why Aliexpress shipments can take some time to arrive.)

For Thailand, in addition to bureaucratic considerations, there's the question whether the volume of shipments is sufficient to make striking a special deal worth the effort. There's no Aliexpress/Tmall in Thailand driving overseas sales.

• Like 1

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/article_detail/product/549/9168

epacket_F2019_5d53c1946df04.jpg

Is a new international service developed by the PO to support international business and promote international  e-commerce  . That is continuously expanding Is a cheap service Can monitor delivery status And can be used in conjunction with the additional warranty services according to the limit But without compensation or loss in all cases And there is no signature of the receiver        

Conditions  : 
1.        Shipping items in envelopes or boxes  (Package)  weight not over  2  kg.  Except for destinations in England, sending up to 5 kilograms
2.        Fees are calculated according to the actual weight of the carrier. Without charge by the volume of a box  (Volumetric)  no fuel  (Fuel Surcharge)  and VAT.  
3.        Standard delivery to recipients abroad within  3 - 9  days depending on the destination country.  

*** Note: In the event of an emergency or disaster May have an impact on shipping standards in certain areas Resulting in delays beyond the specified standards ***

Available destination countries :   

Group 1 countries are South Korea, Vietnam, Taiwan, China, Bhutan, Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong.
Group 2 countries are Germany, France and the United Kingdom.
Group 3 countries are Russia. 
Group 4 countries are Greece, Denmark, Netherlands, Brazil, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Finland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United States of America, Austria, Italy, Canada, Turkey and Norway.

EPacket  Service Fee   : Click here

Compensation rate :    International outbound ePacket  service There will be no indemnity or loss in all cases. But can use the  ePacket Plus service by paying an additional 30 baht to receive damage / loss coverage By compensating up to 1,500 baht  

Conditions of prohibited items in each country Click here

On 7/30/2020 at 7:57 AM, impulse said:

Still, nice to save 1/2 off EMS.  But if Thailand wants to get serious about being competitive in International E-Commerce, they need to play hardball next time they negotiate international postal treaties.  Like China keeps doing...

Edited yesterday at 08:01 AM by impulse

How do "Postal Treaties" work?  Something I've never been aware of.

6 hours ago, dddave said:

How do "Postal Treaties" work?  Something I've never been aware of.

Here's a little background on the controversy surrounding the Universal Postal Union and EPackets.  Postal treaties also cover how the post office handles (and charges for) import duty clearance, and is one of the reasons the post office usually charges a lot less than FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc, for import clearance formalities.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/10/trump-changes-terminal-dues-and-epacket-rates/573337/

https://www.vox.com/2018/4/3/17192600/president-trump-amazon-jeff-bezos-usps-epacket-china-subsidy-washington-post

https://www.forbes.com/sites/wadeshepard/2017/11/05/how-the-usps-epacket-gives-postal-subsidies-to-chinese-e-commerce-merchants-to-ship-to-the-usa-cheap/#1eeed68240ca

Here's a little snippet from the Forbes link, showing that $5.50 isn't going to make Thai e-vendors competitive internationally...

As you browse through the listings on sites like Amazon and eBay it is almost impossible not to be amazed at how cheaply China-based merchants are selling products for: xlr cables for $.99, a necklace for $.78, 10 watch batteries for $.78 -- all with postage included. Perhaps you may feel a little suspicious or even a touch indignant about these low prices, as you know that you can't possibly send packages for anywhere near this price internationally or, for that matter, even across the street. How cheaply the Chinese are able to ship products to the U.S. has become a mystery of sorts in online portals and message boards:

Edited by impulse

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone provide a link to the most recent ThaiPost international mail status?

I seem to recall it was a googledrive PDF link, but cannot find it.

Thanks.

Found it, thanks MrBrad...  https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178064-american-expats-and-absentee-voting/?do=findComment&comment=15736892

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OGkBLRXkgaOuA-x2N-I2fLe0faBrUXeu/view

Edited by mtls2005