Looking for advice on a naked 300

Hello lads i just took a msf course in the states, and im in the market for a starter bike, a naked 300.

I have been looking at the yamaha mt-03 and the kawasaki z300... Im 5'7 ????, which bike would be best for a shorter guy? Does anything else come to mind? I stay in chiang mai by the way

Cheers

Yep, If you look for a starter bike, it can not be much more starter than that. 300cc is not a lot to call a motorcycle, but sure the Kawa 300 is good for what it is.

Your height is nothing to bother about regarding most bike. You´re not that short. Thais are not known to be the longest race in the world. They drive them all the time.

Im worried about being able to walk it inbetween cars during heavy traffic ect. Id consider lowering it or shaving the seat, maybe if i need a couple inches i can seach for a mechanic that can install a lowering kit. 

3 hours ago, ZergBurger said:

which bike would be best for a shorter guy? Does anything else come to mind?

Honda rebel 300 (low easy rider frame)

Honda Cbr 300f (taller sports frame)

Can be had second hand for 50k-90k, single cylinder, ABS.

Plenty advertised on Facebook marketplace around Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

The MT03 is a great bike. Also has a low seat height, plenty low enough for someone 5'7" so no need for any seat shaving.

There's a nice second hand one on BahtSold for 79,900 but unfortunately for you it's in Pattaya. Should be loads in Chiang Mai though.

Get something like this and you could sell it in a year for about the same price.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/yamaha-mt03-abs-full-service-history-79000-pattaya--400856

• Like 1

Just in case you consider the KTM Duke 390. Forget about it. It's too high for you. Sorry.

I don't know how small you want to start. I have a Suzuki Raider 150. That's what I would call a good beginner's bike.

It's small and is perfect for traffic. But it still has enough power (about 16HP) to easily accelerate fast to 100km/h.

And it's so low that it will be easy for you to get your feet on the ground anywhere you like.

And obviously it's a real bike with 6 gears manual shifting and a clutch.

2020-Suzuki-Raider-R150-FI-Black.png

• Like 1

+1 for MT03, it's a great bike, more power than anything in it's class, it's actually 321cc. But most importantly it has a very upright seating position, all Kawa bikes are more bend forward types,  suppose to be sporty, but very uncomfortable after an hour...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alx123 said:

Z300 is good. I wonder how slipper clutch feels like, I haven't ridden a bike with it yet. 

It feels pretty good. It makes downshifts during deceleration much smoother if you let the clutch go a bit too fast. Especially for beginners a really really good feature.

I like the MT-03 and would recommend a second hand one because the savings can be substantial and there's a good once one wants to upgrade to something bigger after a year or two. ???? And the dealers never give discounts here...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Id be quite happy with a naked 21    The limited edition Uni Version....mint     lean n mean  fast n furious

What is a "naked 21"?  Bar girl?  University version better?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It feels pretty good. It makes downshifts during deceleration much smoother if you let the clutch go a bit too fast. Especially for beginners a really really good feature.

I like the MT-03 and would recommend a second hand one because the savings can be substantial and there's a good once one wants to upgrade to something bigger after a year or two. ???? And the dealers never give discounts here...

I think using engine braking is one of the best way to slow down the bike aside from the brakes but as someone who also owns a scooter I think I can easily get acquainted with the slipper clutch. 

Mt-03 has no slipper clutch right? Then maybe OP is right, that the Z300 is better suited to him. 

35 minutes ago, alx123 said:

using engine braking is one of the best way to slow down the bike aside from the brakes

Not many other (sensible) options left.... stick your foot on the tire  like we did  as kids on pedal bikes , run it into a brick wall,aim for the chubbiest person on the zebra crossing...I haven't tried a parachute ????

1 hour ago, alx123 said:

I think using engine braking is one of the best way to slow down the bike aside from the brakes but as someone who also owns a scooter I think I can easily get acquainted with the slipper clutch. 

Mt-03 has no slipper clutch right? Then maybe OP is right, that the Z300 is better suited to him. 

Engine braking to slow down on public road riding is quite disputed as a good option, sure on the race track it is used to prevent brakes getting too hot and more control on the bends, but needing to down-shifting hard coming to a traffic light just means you didn't slow down properly before, and dangerous...

As they say brake pads are cheaper than engine, clutch and transmission parts...

Also from what I hear slipper clutch is a safety feature, means if one down-shift accidentally hard, the back wheel does not lock up and skid, instead gear just pop out and not shift down- I can imagine if going fast, not braking and relying on engine brake, you probably hit the car in front  if that happen - on a traffic light ...!!! 

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

Engine braking to slow down on public road riding is quite disputed as a good option, sure on the race track it is used to prevent brakes getting too hot and more control on the bends, but needing to down-shifting hard coming to a traffic light just means you didn't slow down properly before, and dangerous...

As they say brake pads are cheaper than engine, clutch and transmission parts...

Also from what I hear slipper clutch is a safety feature, means if one down-shift accidentally hard, the back wheel does not lock up and skid, instead gear just pop out and not shift down- I can imagine if going fast, not braking and relying on engine brake, you probably hit the car in front  if that happen - on a traffic light ...!!! 

My Duke 390 has a slipper clutch. I know that from the specs but I don't think I ever experienced it in real life.

I downshifted pretty fast a couple of times to see if I experience that slipper clutch somehow. The deceleration was as expected. But I have to admit I never tried to downshift crazy to a level where the engine would get into the red RPM area.

Personally I believe slipper clutches are not necessary for everyday riding.

But I am sure they are great for Supermoto ????

supermoto-header.jpg

7 hours ago, alx123 said:

as someone who also owns a scooter I think I can easily get acquainted with the slipper clutch. 

There is nothing to get acquainted to. It just removes the lockup of the wheel when being too aggressive when downshifting. Like ABS doesn't really require you to learn something. These things only come into play when things are a bit out of hand.

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

Most riders of big bikes probably use engine braking naturally all the time. It doesn't mean you *only* use engine braking. Many of these bikes have pretty strong engine braking meaning as soon as you let off the throttle you will noticably slow down. You don't even have to switch gears necessarily, certainly not hard. With my Africa Twin I can probably stay in second gear for most of the ride if I wanted to and just accelerate and slow down with the throttle. Engine breaking does not enhance your braking power in relation to brakes. Your front brake will always be more powerful. When you use engine braking is before you get into the bend, slowing down the bike *smoothly*.

I assume you've never ridden a bigger bike with proper engine braking? Scooters have very little so you can't really use that. Edit: just saw your topic about a CB650R hehe ok so you did ride a bigger bike. Though that's a four cylinder and not super strong on engine braking but I guess it gave you a better idea about it.

Edited by eisfeld
  • Like 2

@eisfeld I agree with what you say, but I was referring to down-shifting hard to use engine braking to slow down and hence the safety feature of slipper-clutch. Of course everyone benefits from natural engine braking when letting go of the throttle - and more so on big engines, see my report on when I rented the CB650R recently, that beast peaks at 9000rpm and 11000rpm for max torque and HP, so a high revving engine like that will have a lot of engine braking when you let go of throttle, I experienced it first hand....

On 7/30/2020 at 5:58 AM, ZergBurger said:

if i need a couple inches i can seach for a mechanic that can install a lowering kit. 

OP,

To reply to your original question.....

The Honda CB300R, MT03 and Kawa Z300 are "Vanilla bikes" - there's nowt wrong with vanilla ice cream, but you want a Ben and Jerry's chocko mint chip, bike.....

The best bike in this category ( by a country mile)  is the KTM Duke 390 (i know - ive had 2 of them, the original Gen 1 and now the Gen 2, which came out after 2018...) ....

If you click on the video below (MT03 vs Gen 1 Duke 390 - and skip to 3m 45sec)..

You hear the word "special" - a word rarely used by bike testers these days ...... The MT03 didn't stand a chance - and the Gen 2  390 Duke is much much better than the Gen 1.....

Then on to the Gen 2  390 vs Kawa Z400 (the duke already trounced the Z300 in an earlier test, so no point posting a link to that)....

At the end of the test - the 24,000 dollar question - Both testers were asked " if it was your own money, which bike would you buy " ?  (clue - it wasn't the kawa, dispite being $500 USD cheaper in the USA....

The KTM 390 Gen 2 has ride by wire throttle, slipper clutch, LED display, adjustable ABS and a feel when you ride it like you're on something special.......

Prices at the moment are very affordable, as the previous importer / distributer closed down - but a new importer has just opened up and a new dealer network set up - so there will be no problem with servicing / spare parts ........

And the 390 isn't just a novice's bike - ive been riding almost 45 hears, with the neck end of 60 bikes under my belt - My 390 is one of the best bikes i've ever owned .....

Currently i got the duke and a Hypermotard, if one of them had to go, i can say hand on heart, it wouldn't be the ktm .....

So to conclude - IMHO - Go Ben an Jerry's ....

top pic.jpg

A2 - Copy.jpg

86870202_940762656320815_4174256157814161408_n.jpg

Edited by properperson
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, properperson said:

OP,

To reply to your original question.....

The Honda CB300R, MT03 and Kawa Z300 are "Vanilla bikes" - there's nowt wrong with vanilla ice cream, but you want a Ben and Jerry's chocko mint chip, bike.....

The best bike in this category ( by a country mile)  is the KTM Duke 390 (i know - ive had 2 of them, the original Gen 1 and now the Gen 2, which came out after 2018...) ....

That's all wonderful and I agree the Duke 390 is a great bike - I own one (new model). But the seat position is too high for a 5'7 rider! I am 186cm tall and I can flat foot that bike - just about. 

660_flat20foot.ashx?la=en&hash=24E0FA5A4

This is just a picture to show the idea of flat foot - the bike is not the Duke.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's all wonderful and I agree the Duke 390 is a great bike - I own one (new model). But the seat position is too high for a 5'7 rider! I am 186cm tall and I can flat foot that bike - just about. 

660_flat20foot.ashx?la=en&hash=24E0FA5A4

This is just a picture to show the idea of flat foot - the bike is not the Duke.

a lowering kit is availably freely and cheaply on tinternet, plus you can also cut come of the foam away from the fairly chunky seat .....

the 390 can and will fit him like a glove ..... (a lot of ladies have 390's)

Never say never .....

Edited by properperson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZergBurger said:

I just put a down payment on the Ninja ZX-25R. The 5th person to do so in chiang mai... Due october

Firstly what relevence does your post have to a thread started by a guy looking for advice about buying his first bike ?  - The 25R will have burger all power below 12,000 rpm. Going to be a blast riding through all that CM traffic that's for sure.

Secondly - imho, You'd have been better off Waiting for the upcoming KTM RC 490 - 10hp more and a more balanced bike all round from what i've read . A definate game changer.

• Haha 1