BANGKOK
ZergBurger

Looking for advice on a naked 300

Hello lads i just took a msf course in the states, and im in the market for a starter bike, a naked 300.

I have been looking at the yamaha mt-03 and the kawasaki z300... Im 5'7 😪, which bike would be best for a shorter guy? Does anything else come to mind? I stay in chiang mai by the way

Cheers

Yep, If you look for a starter bike, it can not be much more starter than that. 300cc is not a lot to call a motorcycle, but sure the Kawa 300 is good for what it is.

Your height is nothing to bother about regarding most bike. You´re not that short. Thais are not known to be the longest race in the world. They drive them all the time.

Im worried about being able to walk it inbetween cars during heavy traffic ect. Id consider lowering it or shaving the seat, maybe if i need a couple inches i can seach for a mechanic that can install a lowering kit. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, ZergBurger said:

which bike would be best for a shorter guy? Does anything else come to mind?

Honda rebel 300 (low easy rider frame)

Honda Cbr 300f (taller sports frame)

Can be had second hand for 50k-90k, single cylinder, ABS.

Plenty advertised on Facebook marketplace around Chiang Mai.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

The MT03 is a great bike. Also has a low seat height, plenty low enough for someone 5'7" so no need for any seat shaving.

There's a nice second hand one on BahtSold for 79,900 but unfortunately for you it's in Pattaya. Should be loads in Chiang Mai though.

Get something like this and you could sell it in a year for about the same price.

https://www.bahtsold.com/view/yamaha-mt03-abs-full-service-history-79000-pattaya--400856

+1 MT-03

My Kawa 250 has higher seat than the MT-03 and I don't have any problems filtering in BKK's traffic. 

Just in case you consider the KTM Duke 390. Forget about it. It's too high for you. Sorry.

I don't know how small you want to start. I have a Suzuki Raider 150. That's what I would call a good beginner's bike.

It's small and is perfect for traffic. But it still has enough power (about 16HP) to easily accelerate fast to 100km/h.

And it's so low that it will be easy for you to get your feet on the ground anywhere you like.

And obviously it's a real bike with 6 gears manual shifting and a clutch.

2020-Suzuki-Raider-R150-FI-Black.png

• Like 1

And if you want something special wait for this beast. I am sure it will be a lot of fun.

Kawasaki Ninja ZX-25R

Kawasaki-Ninja-ZX-25R.jpg

• Like 1

I like the abs and slipper clutch on the kawasaki z300.. Safety ya know...thanks for your help guys

• Like 1

+1 for MT03, it's a great bike, more power than anything in it's class, it's actually 321cc. But most importantly it has a very upright seating position, all Kawa bikes are more bend forward types,  suppose to be sporty, but very uncomfortable after an hour...

• Like 2

Almost all  naked 300 cc on the market are ABS equipped. 

Z300 is good. I wonder how slipper clutch feels like, I haven't ridden a bike with it yet. 

2 hours ago, alx123 said:

Z300 is good. I wonder how slipper clutch feels like, I haven't ridden a bike with it yet. 

It feels pretty good. It makes downshifts during deceleration much smoother if you let the clutch go a bit too fast. Especially for beginners a really really good feature.

I like the MT-03 and would recommend a second hand one because the savings can be substantial and there's a good once one wants to upgrade to something bigger after a year or two. 😉 And the dealers never give discounts here...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Why not a Z400 if it fits? Seat Height 30.9 in.  Right zippy bike. Has a more upright seating position than the Ninja 400, but otherwise similar.

Edited by Damrongsak

Id be quite happy with a naked 21    The limited edition Uni Version....mint     lean n mean  fast n furious

3 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Id be quite happy with a naked 21    The limited edition Uni Version....mint     lean n mean  fast n furious

What is a "naked 21"?  Bar girl?  University version better?

• Like 1