Looking for advice on a naked 300

Very different bikes if you ask me, the sports bikes and naked bikes are not the same from many aspects... !

Some years ago I came to a decision to never buy a bike before doing a good test drive first, that was after buying a brand new bike without doing that..., OP hope it works out...

21 hours ago, piston broke said:

Firstly what relevence does your post have to a thread started by a guy looking for advice about buying his first bike ?  - The 25R will have burger all power below 12,000 rpm. Going to be a blast riding through all that CM traffic that's for sure.

Secondly - imho, You'd have been better off Waiting for the upcoming KTM RC 490 - 10hp more and a more balanced bike all round from what i've read . A definate game changer.

He is the thread starter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just bought a Honda CB300F second hand for 48k5.

Surprised the tax (100bht) and insurance (620bht) wasn't a lot more than my scooter.

IMG_20200804_155301.jpg

Torrential rain and flooded roads driving home, which made it a bit exciting as I haven't driven a proper m/c for 12 years. Hoping for some dry weather so I can give it a proper go.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 12:35 PM, piston broke said:

You'd have been better off Waiting for the upcoming KTM RC 490 - 10hp more and a more balanced bike all round from what i've read . A definate game changer.

Is the RC390 not powerful enough for a beginner?

I ride the Duke 390 with the same engine and believe me it has more than enough power for everyday life in Thailand.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, Agusts said:

Very different bikes if you ask me, the sports bikes and naked bikes are not the same from many aspects... !

Depends on the type of super sport bike, actually this category has to be divided in two categories:

1) Super sport bikes like a Honda CBR300R, or a Kawasaki Ninja 650, which are relatively comfortable

2) Super sport bikes which are made for the race track, for example the Kawasaki ZX series bikes, Yamaha R6/R1, Honda CBR1000RR and so on...

The bikes which fall in the first category are usually not too different from their naked bike counterparts (Honda CB300F vs. CBR300R), and are somehow ok as every day bikes and for some limited touring.

The bikes in the second category are not the type of bikes you want to ride for hours at a time, they are quite uncomfortable. The ZX-25R also falls in this second category.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on the type of super sport bike, actually this category has to be divided in two categories:

1) Super sport bikes like a Honda CBR300R, or a Kawasaki Ninja 650, which are relatively comfortable

2) Super sport bikes which are made for the race track, for example the Kawasaki ZX series bikes, Yamaha R6/R1, Honda CBR1000RR and so on...

The bikes which fall in the first category are usually not too different from their naked bike counterparts (Honda CB300F vs. CBR300R), and are somehow ok as every day bikes and for some limited touring.

The bikes in the second category are not the type of bikes you want to ride for hours at a time, they are quite uncomfortable. The ZX-25R also falls in this second category.

In principle I agree with you.

But it obviously depends on what people want and which compromises they are willing to make.

I had a VFR400 which many call pocket rocket. 100km/h in the first gear. I guess it is in the CBR600RR category.

I loved that bike. It was great fun and I thought it was comfortable. But I used it most of the time in the city for maybe max 30 minutes per trip.

I made only one "long" trip on that bike to Bang Saen beach and that was no fun. Too long on a bad road with too many trucks. And it didn't get more comfortable after an hour or so.

I have a relative new bike now and I don't plan to buy another new bike now. But if I would buy one then the little screamer Kawasaki would be on top of the list - because I am pretty sure it will be fun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

CBR300 is twin cylinder sports, CB300 is single cylinder naked, so completely different bikes.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

CBR300 is twin cylinder sports, CB300 is single cylinder naked, so completely different bikes.

The Honda  CBR300R and CB300F are lightweight 286 cc displacement single-cylinder motorcycles made by Honda since 2011. Wikipedia

24 minutes ago, papa al said:

The Honda  CBR300R and CB300F are lightweight 286 cc displacement single-cylinder motorcycles made by Honda since 2011. Wikipedia

You may be right ....... the review I read had wrong information.

So almost identical bikes.

I wouldn't have bought a 300cc twin, I like single cylinders and big V-twins.

Would have preferred a Honda Bros (400cc single), but settled for the Honda CB300F (300cc single).

Screamers are for kiddies.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

That ergo website is really useful, I requested if they could add the MT-03 to their list a while ago, but not there yet...

It may look like a little more decline of body forward between CB300F and CBR300R, but that little becomes tiring on shoulders, arms and wrist after an hour ride...

2 minutes ago, Agusts said:

That ergo website is really useful, I requested if they could add the MT-03 to their list a while ago, but not there yet...

It may look like a little more decline of body forward between CB300F and CBR300R, but that little becomes tiring on shoulders, arms and wrist after an hour ride...

Are there any bikes on that page which were built in the last 5 years? I tried a few and didn't find any of them.

But I like the idea of that page.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are there any bikes on that page which were built in the last 5 years? I tried a few and didn't find any of them.

Yes, they have some, 2018-2019 MT-10 for example...

It's a good idea for a general knowledge, but people are never the same, some have short arms, some long legs, some longer upper body, so very different and need to try for yourself...

They keep saying any changes of an inch or two in seat height, peg position and handlebar make a lot of difference, I never believed it, but I start to notice...

Although people get used to things , riding position, handling etc. pretty well, so that's also a factor...

• Like 1

For anyone looking to add a bit of luggage carrying ability to their bike without ruining the look, this 'Motocentric' 20l pillion bag works a treat. 730bht delivered from Lazada and doubles as a backpack.

IMG_20200808_130200.jpg

IMG_20200808_130207.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

For anyone looking to add a bit of luggage carrying ability to their bike without ruining the look, this 'Motocentric' 20l pillion bag works a treat. 730bht delivered from Lazada and doubles as a backpack.

Looks good, I hope water doesn't get through the zippers..., or you need a cover in rain.

I am not a big fan of those big boxes, but some of them can store a helmet...

I guess you need something on naked or touring bikes, but I don't get people, many, put a huge box on a Forza...!!! And we can put two full size helmets under the seat of that bike, lots of space....? ????????????

• Like 1

Just now, Agusts said:

Looks good, I hope water doesn't get through the zippers..., or you need a cover in rain.

It comes with a rain cover, and it expands to store a helmet.

I got it to carry beer from my local store, and my hiking pack when I out in the jungle.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When you go to add a bike you can switch to the "Recently Added" tab. Unfortunately no new bikes in the past 12 months. I've submitted a bunch of bikes for inclusion 2 or 3 years ago but none were accepted for unknown reasons. I think unfortunately it's not maintained much. It's a great site though!

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

Yes, they have some, 2018-2019 MT-10 for example...

It's a good idea for a general knowledge, but people are never the same, some have short arms, some long legs, some longer upper body, so very different and need to try for yourself...

They keep saying any changes of an inch or two in seat height, peg position and handlebar make a lot of difference, I never believed it, but I start to notice...

Although people get used to things , riding position, handling etc. pretty well, so that's also a factor...

The site lets you change the dimensions of the person too. You can adjust for your height and inseam (arm length is usually 1:1 with height btw). And you can customize the vehicle as well.

And yes, small changes of a few centimeters can make very noticable differences.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, JimShortz said:

Bikes are so cheap these days...  I just bought a "mint" 2015 CB300F with 17k on the clock, new decent tyres, no issues, and a year's tax - for B47k. Great value - my new commuter!

Me too, for 48k, same mileage.

1 years tax and insurance is only 720bht.

30bht for my local garage to oil and adjust the chain, nothing for me to adjust the clutch.

honda.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

OP in case you're still looking, I was at Kawasaki the other day and they let me sit and try all their bikes, in the shop...! Other dealers usually don't, I think I stand out as a time-waster like sour thumb...lol

Anyway, I tried their Versys 300, I must say it is a nice size bike, very nice seating position, quite up right, and manageable size and seat height..., compare too 650 version next to it, which is really a big bike, high and heavy...

The only thing I noticed was a very hard seat, but I think that can be remedied, it may also soften after a while. The 650 had much better and more comfy seat...

Tried Z400 and Z250, I can safely say naked bikes are not for me, to much lean forward - I never go to the race track...! ????

Also tried Vulcan 650, very comfy and cruiser style of course, legs way forward, but the strangest part was the handlebar, very small and heavy front, hard manouvering that thing, designed for straight line on highways I guess, I can safely say my Forza will be much easier to flip around in town than that thing..., I just need that 650 engine in mine, then I would have the idea scooter  - for me...! 

I'm going to main Yamaha dealer this weekend, they have a kind of countrywide promotion that allow anyone to test drive their big bikes (see their website) - I guess it's just in their parking lot, but still it could be fun...

8 hours ago, Agusts said:

Tried Z400 and Z250, I can safely say naked bikes are not for me, to much lean forward - I never go to the race track...! ????

The definition of "naked bike" is not related to the sitting position. I.e. on my KTM Duke 390 I am sitting upright.

maxresdefault.jpg