Jump to content
BANGKOK
Jack Mountain

Retired Ext. Changing from Bank balance to Affidavit method.

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have a Non-O visa and the last 6 years I had an extension based on

retirement using 800K on the Thai bank.

 

Today I have to go for another extension and have an Affidavit from the Dutch embassy.

I kept the 800K for 3 months and let it checked (Jomtiem) and after that minimal 400K till now.

 

My question is do I have to go for a bankletter or is that not needed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...

I do hope that you don't run into troubles.

You wrote that you kept 800K for the first 3 months after your previous 1-year extension of stay was approved, and that your then kept it over 400K for the rest of the year till now.

But if you did not top up again to 800K in the last 2 months before applying for the continuation of your 1-year extension of stay, you do NOT meet the financial requirements for such an application when using the funds-in-bank method.

Hopefully Jomtien IO will be lenient, because you can show an Embassy certified income-statement, proving that your foreign monthly income meets the IO requirements.

Please do keep us posted on whether you experienced any difficulties with your application because of not keeping 800K in your personal thai bank account during the last 2 months before your application.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure that I can follow Peter’s reasoning.  Maybe he could explain further why the 800K ma y nevertheless be needed when using the Avidavit (or having the necessary monthly transfers) .

 

As he says: we shall see.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, PGSan said:

I am not sure that I can follow Peter’s reasoning.  Maybe he could explain further why the 800K ma y nevertheless be needed when using the Avidavit (or having the necessary monthly transfers) .

 

As he says: we shall see.

I surely do hope that his application is approved without any problems!

But there are no clear rules about the 'change of method for proving you meet the financial requirements' hence my recommendation to opt for the most conservative approach (i.e. meeting the requirements of both methods, so that there can not be any problem).  

But would be good if Jack Mountain could post his experience, how Jomtien handled that switch of financial method when applying for his 1-year extension of stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

I surely do hope that his application is approved without any problems!

But there are no clear rules about the 'change of method for proving you meet the financial requirements' hence my recommendation to opt for the most conservative approach (i.e. meeting the requirements of both methods, so that there can not be any problem).  

But would be good if Jack Mountain could post his experience, how Jomtien handled that switch of financial method when applying for his 1-year extension of stay.

Agreed that ‘belt and braces’ is a Good Idea!   I am going to take this approach when changing method later this year, again at Jomtien.  My major concern is whether my ‘monthly transfers’ will be done and documented in an approved way.  Thus I want the fall-back available.  Then, if I get the thumbs-down, I simply return the next week (fingers crossed) with the ‘money-in-the-bank’ letter that has worked for the last decade or so.

Edited by PGSan
Typos.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PGSan said:

...

My major concern is whether my ‘monthly transfers’ will be done and documented in an approved way. 

...

I did PM you a document about how to use TransferWise and ensure that you can provide the required evidence that the transfers you made originated from abroad. 

Even if you don't use TransferWise but do a direct Bank transfer that document will be useful because any foreign transfer is always routed through Bank HQs and will therefore be coded as a 'domestic' transfer when it arrives on your personal thai bank-account.  And the document explains how to get the required evidence that the transfer originated from abroad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if using Bangkok Bank. The are coded FTT.

That's correct, but ONLY when banking with Bangkok Bank.

Bangkok Bank HQ, where the foreign transfer arrives is the only thai bank that transmits the code of foreign origin (FTT) to their local branches so that it shows up on your local Bangkok bank branche bank-book.

Edited by Peter Denis
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Bangkok Bank HQ, where the foreign transfer arrives is the only thai bank that transmits the code of foreign origin (FTT) to their local branches so that it shows up on your local Bangkok bank branche bank-book.

It is not even shown as a inter bank transfer at Bangkok Bank. It is shown as being credited to the account at the head office,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PGSan said:

I am not sure that I can follow Peter’s reasoning.  Maybe he could explain further why the 800K ma y nevertheless be needed when using the Avidavit (or having the necessary monthly transfers) .

 

As he says: we shall see.

Peter Denis is not correct. If the 800k was in the bank for 90 days after the application and never below 400k until next application when applying for an extension using the >65k/month method, then everything is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not if using Bangkok Bank. The are coded FTT.

They are only coded FTT when using TW and the receiving account is properly tagged by TW and choosing the correct reason for transfer:

"Funds for long term stay in Thailand".

Choose wrong reason and the transfer will show up as an Interbank Transfer. Believe me, I have been using TW since 2017. Many people have used wrong reason,because the correct one is the last one in the list and easy to miss on a phone if not scrolling all the way down. The reason "Funds for................" was created just for the purpose of the transfer to show up as International = FTT in the bank book. When sending money using the old school method swift, it always shows up as an international transfer when using Bangkok Bank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

That's correct, but ONLY when banking with Bangkok Bank.

Bangkok Bank HQ, where the foreign transfer arrives is the only thai bank that transmits the code of foreign origin (FTT) to their local branches so that it shows up on your local Bangkok bank branche bank-book.

Kasikornbank codes foreign transfers as TFN in my local bank book, and internal transfers as KCB.  Immigration at the three offices I have used for extensions over the years accept that TFN is a foreign transfer.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not certain of what embassies if any still are allowed to give a letter. The American Embassy letter was no longer accepted because the US Embassy refused to actually verify anyone's income. Is the Dutch Embassy verifying yours or just giving you a statement that they verify you wrote a statement of such in front of them?

 

Having said all that, if I were you, because it's very easy to get, I would go to the bank and get your cover statement that shows deposits, and bank statement. Better safe then to be told you need one after you get there.

 

Just my two cents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...