Road Trip: Phuket - Hua Hin - Khao Yai

9 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

The speed limit or rules of the road don't pertain to you?

Thats how driving bike! Nobody care about speed limit's anyway. I'm not. Like if school not open im not slow down coz nobody else slow down! If i slow down it is more dangerous, coz then some overtake me in area of school!

• Like 2

professionally shot video. kudos.

Driving could indeed be a bit safer. overtaking in sharp curve, several cars... you might miss another motorcycle or something small (dog on the road for instance). Anyway, nice video

• Like 1

Nice vid, thank you. Never took the ferries in BKK, usually sneak onto the high bridges.

And don't listen to the eternal whingers here, critizing your riding. They hardly manage a Honda Dream ????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Thats how driving bike! Nobody care about speed limit's anyway. I'm not. Like if school not open im not slow down coz nobody else slow down! If i slow down it is more dangerous, coz then some overtake me in area of school!

Foolish. The laws apply to bike drivers as well. That is why no one in Thailand thinks the laws apply to them, same as you.

You see the result every year.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Deli said:

Nice vid, thank you. Never took the ferries in BKK, usually sneak onto the high bridges.

And don't listen to the eternal whingers here, critizing your riding. They hardly manage a Honda Dream ????

Yeah, was cought on the bridge once, didn't want take any chances.

You're right about whining, 38 years of big bike riding experience here, these folks' opinion hardly matters to me at all ????

Edited by BMW Overlander
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/30/2020 at 5:32 PM, Deli said:

Totally agree about the whingers, all his videos, info on attractions and routes are top notch, don't know why people knock it??

• Like 1

Firstly... an excellently shot and edited video, great drone footage too... 

Tried to disagree with the ‘whingers’ but did also think... Ooooh, overtake on a left hand bend and erm, thats a bit rapid... 

Of course video’s can be misleading and the camera sees less than the eye. 

Great bike - I wonder how well it dealt with getting through Bangkok in traffic.

Looks like a great road trip.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Firstly... an excellently shot and edited video, great drone footage too... 

Tried to disagree with the ‘whingers’ but did also think... Ooooh, overtake on a left hand bend and erm, thats a bit rapid... 

Of course video’s can be misleading and the camera sees less than the eye. 

Great bike - I wonder how well it dealt with getting through Bangkok in traffic.

Looks like a great road trip.

Getting through BKK often intrigues me as well, when i go down south i use a transporter (then drive back via Ratchaburi / Kanchanaburi) rather than getting frustrated in BKK or getting lost.

Can't be much fun with those panniers, you'd basically end up having to drive like a car....oh and not to mention the heat!!

5 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

Here is how I ride my other BMW K1600 GTl thru Bangkok....not a big deal unless you have to commute daily within the city. I actually enjoy riding in congested city centres....it is kind of a riding skill test

I like the way the policeman just ‘shrugged you off’, I thought he was going to skin you for a few hundred baht !

I got caught out riding down the ‘central car only area’ of Vibhavadi Rangsit rd... the BiB saw me and radio’d ahead to another policeman who pulled me over - cost 100B !!! it was the first time I’d ridden down that road and by the time I saw the no-motorcycle sign it was too late to cut across the lanes and exit (safer to continue on and exit the central lanes to the frontage at the next exit). 

I saw that you’d used GPS as an excuse, however, my GPS directs me over all the flyovers and underpasses etc which have no-motorcycle signs. The only thing I can set is to ‘avoid tolls’ which takes care of avoiding the expressways. 

14 minutes ago, BMW Overlander said:

I honestly believe he was wrong, that road Wasn't restricted. He let me go upon noticing helmet cam on.

Especially as there were no signs up. 

That said, most flyovers and ‘raised’ bridges in Bangkok do not allow motorcycles and there was a noticeable absence of other motorcycles on that section. 

I’m wondering if the Police officer didn’t just let you go because he couldn’t be bothered dishing out an ‘official fine’. After seeing your helmet cam nothing in it for him if he can’t take a bribe !!!

On top of that you were ‘firm’ and didn’t fold and immediately cave in like many foreigners would.

Would be interesting to go back to the beginning of the bridge / ramp on google maps to check if there are any signs you may have missed or were poorly placed. 

Edited by richard_smith237

1 hour ago, BMW Overlander said:

Here is how I ride my other BMW K1600 GTl thru Bangkok....not a big deal unless you have to commute daily within the city. I actually enjoy riding in congested city centres....it is kind of a riding skill test

To each there own but that has no appeal to me at all.....( i'm sure it's edited not to include the worst of it as well )

Plus i noticed a part on raised tollway which i thought not allowed?