Phuket, Samui and Phi Phi could be first Thai destinations opened to foreign tourists

webfact

7 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or will the tourists arrive and experience being shunned by the locals, generating even more damage to tourism.

Seems to me that our loud mouth deputy PM is partly responsible given his anti farang/dirty farang comments. Perhaps he should consider a few quick careful statements to try to reduce the damage he has done to tourism, to jobs, to income etc.

Don't know where you live, but there is a big difference between an Army politician and the normal people's opinion.

Here in Bangkok they are always happy to see me and welcome me everywhere, as well was it in Koh Phangan recently this month when I was there.

Sure the Mininster of Health made a big mistake but better if he shut his mouth and not speak anymore even for excusing....would be like pouring alcohol on fire....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, naryan said:

Every Thai person I meat wants the country to open up, I do not go by these proper gander poles they are as rigid as the last election and as honest as the government! 

Absolutely my experience also. I work with many Thai and they all want the country to reopen a.s.a.p I call BS on all those polls.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Very easy to control the Virus ( or any unruly behavior ) on an Island.

I am not sure that Tourists would just like to spend their whole Vacation at one Resort Island Destination. A bit like a Holiday prison, me thinks.

why?  plenty of westernfolks do just that.  fly to bermuda or one of those all-inclusive sandals vacation resorts, spending the entire time at the resort at $300 or so per night.  i bet the chinesers would go for it if there are duty-free shopping outlets.

5 hours ago, zzzzz said:

living here, i do not feel shunned, ostracized or set upon by any thai, nor do any of my friends here.

Couldn't agree more, 3 decades+, plenty of friendlyless, support, respect and help if needed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

true

and looking at me on the beach without a mask on, practicing social distancing, (which is quiet easy on empty beaches ????), or walking thru the malls wearing a mask, can you tell if I live here or if if i just arrived the day before?

Since the borders are closed and no flights arrive: how will you have gotten here "the day before"?

Beamed in from the USS Enterprise?

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

living here, i do not feel shunned, ostracized or set upon by any thai, nor do any of my friends here.

Living there is a completely different matter . They know you and you are not arriving from an unknown country that could have high covid mortality. Not the same at all. 

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why?  plenty of westernfolks do just that.  fly to bermuda or one of those all-inclusive sandals vacation resorts, spending the entire time at the resort at $300 or so per night.  i bet the chinesers would go for it if there are duty-free shopping outlets.

...and a sea food buffet

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or will the tourists arrive and experience being shunned by the locals, generating even more damage to tourism.

Seems to me that our loud mouth deputy PM is partly responsible given his anti farang/dirty farang comments. Perhaps he should consider a few quick careful statements to try to reduce the damage he has done to tourism, to jobs, to income etc.

Don't be silly! That would mean admitting he was wrong! Loss of face - NFC! And the fact that the PM has not commented on his deputy's behaviour/statements also speaks volumes!

• Like 2

Hello, I am a former parachutist of the French army, would it be possible to take advantage of a little tourist flight to drop me on my area (my land is large enough and clear to accept a drop of a whole section of parachutists) , knowing that I am in the Loei area? I could do quarantine on the spot.

My family and me would be very happy to be able to have a life together after these 8 month separation...

Edited by jerolamo
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Somehow, I think a lot of high  government official has less than a grade 9 education  compred to internationa l standard.

In order to bring to the same level of tourism as before, one should study the flow of tourism in thailand.  People on holidays want to  see the beaches, the big shopping mega of bangkok, go up north to Chiangmai for trcking...etc and let us not forget  pattaya -sin cities.

that is what tourism pay a $1500 ticket  for visiting thailand and spend about $200/day on having fun. not forget their trip to the massage parlor for some local sex.

Nobody and nobody will spend the $1500 plus $2000 for quarantine for just PHI- PHI, lrabi (can't eat pork) and phuket ) hotels are not certified-- and how about other sightseeing island around phuket..It is a so stupid idea. 

don't make me laugh  HAHA,, it is so small and disgusted polluted to bring my grandmother back from the dead.

• Like 1

I do believe this is a step in the right direction, regardless of how a lot of people are making fun and skating the idea. Tourism is needed urgently, and not just Thailand. Otherwise airline companies are going to start folding all over the world an create an irreversible situation that is not far away. We are now nearly 6 months  from tourist bans worldwide.

Since they’re talking about limiting tourists to a couple islands, then have to assume no quarantine. If they’re willing to do 2  week quarantine, then open up the entire country to them.
The only way this could work is if all local flights to and from the island are shut down and only international flights are allowed. It local Thai people wanted off the Island, they would need a two week quarantine before allowed to go to other parts of Thailand. 
If the tourist don’t need a quarantine, then the island has to be locked for all flights and roads on and off the island

5 hours ago, jlwilliamsjr18 said:

What happened in Vietnam last week... Stop these fake hopes.  It could be years before the country can open. Time to think and reset the course. 

And those where local tourist.

Just now, brianp0803 said:

Since they’re talking about limiting tourists to a couple islands, then have to assume no quarantine. If they’re willing to do 2  week quarantine, then open up the entire country to them.
The only way this could work is if all local flights to and from the island are shut down and only international flights are allowed. It local Thai people wanted off the Island, they would need a two week quarantine before allowed to go to other parts of Thailand. 
If the tourist don’t need a quarantine, then the island has to be locked for all flights and roads on and off the island

How much demand would there be, flights are not even full going to european resorts. Families won't be coming, so it will solo travellers and couples, back to the core type of tourists to Thailand, sex and back packing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, merijn said:

Polls means nothing, Last time they asked about 1900 people about their opinion.

Hardly a accurate view of the general population of Thailand.

If you ask 1900 people on Phuket you will get a complete different result.

Take a beginners statistics course and then you will understand how polls work. 

6 hours ago, Phuket Stan said:

Phuket and my Thai is pretty good

I have not seen any aggression by Thai people in fact to the contrary they are tending to take some time out and chat for awhile

Who cares if they do or don't chat. They are like 4 year olds 

6 hours ago, Phuket Stan said:

Phuket and my Thai is pretty good

I have not seen any aggression by Thai people in fact to the contrary they are tending to take some time out and chat for awhile

Who cares if they do or don't chat. They are like 4 year olds 

3 hours ago, geisha said:

The government might have to re write the tourist immigration rules first .concerning, health insurance covering Covid or not, visa or no visa, visa on arrival or not, certificate to fly. Seeing how fast they work, that might take ages. Then, flights must once again become available . And who can enter ? 

I can't see any tourists coming until they ease these rules, and anybody who works in the middle east or anywhere in the world with a 28 day rota is very unlikely to want 14 days quarantined in a overpriced hotel. Also men with Thai wife's are hardly liable to return for 90 days and spent 14 days quarantined when they have their own homes.

IF Thailand is serious about getting tourists back and men married to Thai ladies there will have to be a serious rethink, otherwise tourism to Thailand will go the same way as the dodo.

places like Bangkok  where I guess most of the people were asked dont really depend on tourism bangkok isna capital city with offices and suites people 

The tourist  part of Thailand  need tourists