Phuket, Samui and Phi Phi could be first Thai destinations opened to foreign tourists

webfact

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or will the tourists arrive and experience being shunned by the locals, generating even more damage to tourism.

Seems to me that our loud mouth deputy PM is partly responsible given his anti farang/dirty farang comments. Perhaps he should consider a few quick careful statements to try to reduce the damage he has done to tourism, to jobs, to income etc.

Anutin is the Public Health Minister, not the Deputy Prime Minister. 

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Anutin is the Public Health Minister, not the Deputy Prime Minister. 

You seem to have all right again, as always

Anutin Charnvirakul (Thai: อนุทิน ชาญวีรกูล, RTGSAnuthin Chanwirakun; born 13 September 1966 in Bangkok) is a Thai politician. As of 2020, he serves as Thailand's Deputy Prime Minister and the Minister of Public Health.[3]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

Or will the tourists arrive and experience being shunned by the locals, generating even more damage to tourism.

Seems to me that our loud mouth deputy PM is partly responsible given his anti farang/dirty farang comments. Perhaps he should consider a few quick careful statements to try to reduce the damage he has done to tourism, to jobs, to income etc.

Sorry, but do you really think that anyone outside of Thailand, I mean outside the forums mainly dedicated to foreigners, would be aware of any comments made by some officials? Whatever one thinks about the "speakers" they only address the Thai population (foreigners just hear it) and they definitely did not hurt the tourism. Measures taken did and will 

11 hours ago, zzzzz said:

kamala phuket and my thai is very good,

why?

Because culture differs across the country and is largely dependent on where you live, who your neighbors are, and whether or not you're smart enough to understand/interact with them in a friendly conversation (or pick up when they're talking <deleted> about you).

In most of my travels I've noticed that the capital city of any country has the least friendliest people, and BKK is no exception. Whereas I get plenty of nice invites for a shot of whiskey with my Issan neighbors and nothing but glares from the old BKK folk sans the nice "corner BBQ lady" who is always happy to see me.

So, if you spoke Thai and lived in a neighborhood with mostly people from BKK - particularly the "salim" xenophobic type - then your chances of having a crappy experience are probably higher than if you're off in the middle of nowhere where that kind of lack of friendliness is less common.

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

living here, i do not feel shunned, ostracized or set upon by any thai, nor do any of my friends here.

Of course you don't. People are being reasonable there.

However once a bunch of Farang tourists shows up, Thais will not know that you are not one of them. It is at that point that you may see a change.

The only reason why the cases are almost 0 at these places is becauae doors are still closed to int’l tourists.
Vietnam, Philippines, china, spain, uk are all seeing an increased in cases - is it safe to open the  floodgates ??? Does it make sense ? 

Or perhaps you should review in 2 -3,months take this time to re educate social distancing, hygiene and to see if the cases in ASEAN region, EU drops.

Edited by MrsT

We need to take the opening of the country serious, while we have close to zero numbers on Covid-19 at the moment the livelihood of millions of Thai people went completely down the drain. If the situation stays as it is we will have by the end of this year 77 million healthy Thais, with at least 10 million people starving/living below the poverty line.  Complete uncontrolled opening of the country is no option, but keeping the status quo going is neither one. 

Opening up to failed nations such as the US and UK is surely not a good idea, but instead Thailand needs to look at lower risk countries. Living with the threat of covid is probably workable if for example all military hospitals in Thailand are turend in to cover centers, there are over 100 of these hospitals that are on camp grounds and therefor can be easily managed and kept safe. The medical profession is excellent in Thailand, and treatment of patients should feasible. 

Opening up islands seems like a good idea, but would this then mean that those living and working on the island can't leave these islands? Would it mean that Thais or foreigners living in Thailand can't get to these islands? That won't be practical. 

That reflects a question I asked earlier. They seem to imply opening the island can contain any outbreak of the virus to that island. But that can only be contained if there are no local flights to Phuket, no local people are allowed to enter or leave Phuket.
I am sure much of Phuket wants the tourist back, but are they willing to sacrifice their freedom and remain on the island? Thai people would not be allowed to fly to the island, unless they did two week quarantine on return to Bangkok. To leave the island, Thai people (and foreigners) would need a two week quarantine

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wildliferescue said:

We need to take the opening of the country serious, while we have close to zero numbers on Covid-19 at the moment the livelihood of millions of Thai people went completely down the drain. If the situation stays as it is we will have by the end of this year 77 million healthy Thais, with at least 10 million people starving/living below the poverty line.  Complete uncontrolled opening of the country is no option, but keeping the status quo going is neither one. 

Opening up to failed nations such as the US and UK is surely not a good idea, but instead Thailand needs to look at lower risk countries. Living with the threat of covid is probably workable if for example all military hospitals in Thailand are turend in to cover centers, there are over 100 of these hospitals that are on camp grounds and therefor can be easily managed and kept safe. The medical profession is excellent in Thailand, and treatment of patients should feasible. 

Opening up islands seems like a good idea, but would this then mean that those living and working on the island can't leave these islands? Would it mean that Thais or foreigners living in Thailand can't get to these islands? That won't be practical. 

2 hours ago, brianp0803 said:

That reflects a question I asked earlier. They seem to imply opening the island can contain any outbreak of the virus to that island. But that can only be contained if there are no local flights to Phuket, no local people are allowed to enter or leave Phuket.
I am sure much of Phuket wants the tourist back, but are they willing to sacrifice their freedom and remain on the island? Thai people would not be allowed to fly to the island, unless they did two week quarantine on return to Bangkok. To leave the island, Thai people (and foreigners) would need a two week quarantine

it's plausible and possible.  IF tourism is so important to the economy, AND the local populace who apparently are utterly dependent on tourist dollars are willing, then the government could (consider forming a committee to study the effects of hiring consultants to examine the possibility of potentially commissioning a study to) open the islands as a bubble travel hub.

if it comes down to the choice of losing 75% of your employment in certain areas, crazy ideas sound more reasonable.

problem is.......how are you going to stop locals from ignoring island-wide quarantine restrictions?  impound all the boats and paddleboards?  can't even trust those on home-quarantine not to hit the 7-11 "just for a minute."  you'd need the entire navy on 24/7 patrol to keep the islands isolated.

hmmm....we're gonna need some more subs.

18 hours ago, Raphus said:

I do believe this is a step in the right direction, regardless of how a lot of people are making fun and skating the idea. Tourism is needed urgently, and not just Thailand. Otherwise airline companies are going to start folding all over the world an create an irreversible situation that is not far away. We are now nearly 6 months  from tourist bans worldwide.

I agree: tourism is needed!

But this idea is dead in the water!

• Like 2

European tour operators (TUI, the remnants of old Thomas Cook, etc) are all selling package holidays to Phuket starting in October. It would be good to get a decision from the Thai authorities on what their plans are for the coming months in regard to tourism. 

5 hours ago, habuspasha said:

That is exactly what the Maldives are doing.  

The difference between a Maldives atoll and Phuket is a couple of hundred tourists vs thousands. That's why Maldives can do it. Some tiny islands in Thailand might be suitable but mostly no infra.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MrsT said:

The only reason why the cases are almost 0 at these places is becauae doors are still closed to int’l tourists.
Vietnam, Philippines, china, spain, uk are all seeing an increased in cases - is it safe to open the  floodgates ??? Does it make sense ? 

Or perhaps you should review in 2 -3,months take this time to re educate social distancing, hygiene and to see if the cases in ASEAN region, EU drops.

In Vietnam it was locals!

You know...like it will be in Thailand, with its "0 cases for 60 days'...anytime soon , now!

3 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

You know...like it will be in Thailand, with its "0 cases for 60 days'...anytime soon , now!

I hope so. Keeping up the zero appearances for face is a burden and hampers any real effort to create a working test & trace network.

• Like 2

It’s no longer a question of whether the country should open for tourism or not. It’s already open. You “just” need to spend THB 500K on an Elite Card, enjoy 15 nights in quarantine and get USD 100K COVID-19 specific insurance. And prepay for everything you book without any guarantees of being able to fly or getting a visa. 

The bigger question now is how to ramp up slowly. Limiting the areas available for tourism to Samui, Phuket and Phi Phi is one way - although only one of those destinations allows direct international flights afaik. 

They could ramp up by shortening the quarantine period. Less safe than the current two weeks, but better than nothing and would probably attract at least a few more tourists. Not the flood-gates-opening-numbers, but a welcome trickle. 

And I wish there was a booth or a kiosk at the airport where I could buy local COVID-19 insurance (even better if I could do it online before travelling). If you insist on me having it, why don’t you sell it?

22 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Sounds like a nice, relaxing tourist trip, something one would take up on a whim.

No. It doesn’t sound like an attractive option. But it means there is a way in. The country is open for tourists. Some tourists. 

On 7/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, zzzzz said:

living here, i do not feel shunned, ostracized or set upon by any thai, nor do any of my friends here.

Correct. 98% of the racist and xenophobic ranting continues to come from the administration and the army. The Thai people are totally cool. And that survey was very likely made up. 

7 hours ago, Saint Nick said:

I agree: tourism is needed!

But this idea is dead in the water!

Tourism is needed by few tourists and few places and people 

fully oriented on the foreign tourism.

More than 80% of Thailand can live without tourism or with domestic tourism

Don't forget mass tourism is recent, i know it's not easy 

from being a jetski renter scammer with a lazy life full of money

and comeback to a coconut picker or a fishermen with hard earnerd little money

the path is much more easy in the other way

but they should adapt soon, it's just a matter of time

• Confused 1

kingofthemountaun had an interesting thought on tourism

Thailand is probably thought as exotic and cheap location with beautiful beaches for international tourist. Although the owners of resort hotels and activities have realized the price tourist will pay, and increased the price to that level. Unfortunately they are still paying their staff minimum wage while charging high prices. But they do increase employment, but the profits go to a few.
The tourist industry in Thailand is charging higher and higher prices, paying their staff low wages, and frequently offering low quality products.

I would like to see an increase in domestic tourism with hotel prices, and food at a price is appropriate for the pay they are giving their staff.

Maybe a restructuring of vacation hotels and activities would be good, and the people will follow. Reduce the scammers, and offer quality for the price. Distribute the money received at tourist hotels to the staff as well as the owners

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, brianp0803 said:

kingofthemountaun had an interesting thought on tourism

Thailand is probably thought as exotic and cheap location with beautiful beaches for international tourist. Although the owners of resort hotels and activities have realized the price tourist will pay, and increased the price to that level. Unfortunately they are still paying their staff minimum wage while charging high prices. But they do increase employment, but the profits go to a few.
The tourist industry in Thailand is charging higher and higher prices, paying their staff low wages, and frequently offering low quality products.

I would like to see an increase in domestic tourism with hotel prices, and food at a price is appropriate for the pay they are giving their staff.

Maybe a restructuring of vacation hotels and activities would be good, and the people will follow. Reduce the scammers, and offer quality for the price. Distribute the money received at tourist hotels to the staff as well as the owners

Thank you

yes you are right, this reset could be an opportunity to increase the quality

and reduce the quantity, eliminating the ''bad guys'' in the business.

One of the advantage of the domestic tourism is you can not scam people like

you do for foreigners, The word to mouth on internet on the thais social network

can  be quick and devastating, even with the problem of the defamation law.

8 hours ago, androokery said:

And I wish there was a booth or a kiosk at the airport where I could buy local COVID-19 insurance (even better if I could do it online before travelling). If you insist on me having it, why don’t you sell it?

That is one of the smartest things I've read all week if not all month.

If they insist on us having it, place a booth in the main Suvahnambumi terminal just after the arrivals and before passing the immigration checkpoint.

"Don't have an insurance yet? No worries, hand us 60.000 THB right now, sign this form, mandatory temperature check, a photo of you (which are already taken all the times anytime we pass immigration and we register for a new SIM card anyways) and off you go, hand out this voucher to the immigration guys at the next counter".

And you're bloody set!

Edit: And this also eliminates fraudsters like a few I personally know who edited a fake COVID-19 insurance by taking a legit one PDF switching their names and DOB and replaced the original policy number with bogus random numbers, the Embassies do not perform "checks" on VISA applicants by calling each insurance company manually one by one to enquire whether this is a real or fake $100.000 USD insurance, they just don't have the manpower to do so.

Edited by GigsGigs

Hum,

Properly trained staff for ALL the "ready to open" hotels?

Phuket has (and continues) to experience a massive exodus of Thai workers, in the hundreds of thousands. Phuket showed a paper documentation of 65,000 applicants to leave island just on the first day the Sarasin bridge reopened.

*Oh yea, "living here, I do not feel shunned"

Yeah Hello, the Thai's know you have been here (in country) THROUGHOUT the COVID-19 Lock down.

Fasten your seat belt, junior!

19 hours ago, androokery said:

No. It doesn’t sound like an attractive option. But it means there is a way in. The country is open for tourists. Some tourists. 

Mate people won't come back under them conditions. They will find somewhere else to holiday or just stay home and holiday.

People who work at airports in Thailand are going to lose their jobs through lack of tourists.

Taxi drivers will have a job to make ends meet with lack of tourism in Bangkok.

Hotels and restaurants will close though lack of tourists and what about the people who supply products to the hotels and restaurants, they too will find themselves without work through lack of demand.

17 hours ago, GigsGigs said:

That is one of the smartest things I've read all week if not all month.

If they insist on us having it, place a booth in the main Suvahnambumi terminal just after the arrivals and before passing the immigration checkpoint.

"Don't have an insurance yet? No worries, hand us 60.000 THB right now, sign this form, mandatory temperature check, a photo of you (which are already taken all the times anytime we pass immigration and we register for a new SIM card anyways) and off you go, hand out this voucher to the immigration guys at the next counter".

And you're bloody set!

Edit: And this also eliminates fraudsters like a few I personally know who edited a fake COVID-19 insurance by taking a legit one PDF switching their names and DOB and replaced the original policy number with bogus random numbers, the Embassies do not perform "checks" on VISA applicants by calling each insurance company manually one by one to enquire whether this is a real or fake $100.000 USD insurance, they just don't have the manpower to do so.

Not smart. The whole idea is to have it BEFORE you arrive. Otherwise it will be chaos with monster cues. 

Why would you think expats have even close to that amount outside of pension day..