Pattaya: TAT claim "lively" tourism during long weekend saw 90% of hotel rooms booked

webfact

Pattaya: TAT claim "lively" tourism during long weekend saw 90% of hotel rooms booked

8pm.jpg

Pattaya's Tourism Authority of Thailand representative Pinnart Charoenphon told the media that 90% of hotel rooms were booked out for the long holiday weekend between July 25th and 28th. 

She said that 70% of hotels in Pattaya were open for business. 

Thai domestic tourism had been "kheuk khak" (lively) in Pattaya and Chonburi as a whole with lots of tourists visiting Pattaya. 

It was better than the previous long weekend earlier in the month.

8pm1.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

The Phase 1 "TAT Hot Deal @ Pattaya and Chonburi" promotion is now over.

But Phase 2 of the promotion will be open from August 16th to September 25th. 

Vouchers can be used for booking rooms up until December 24th. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-30

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

The big question is despite the 90% of available rooms booked was there actually a 90% occupancy or where some bookings not taken as is typical probably closer to 70% of the 70% of hotels open but that's just my opinion .

• Like 2

There were a number of Thai families with kids enjoying the pool at my Pattaya hotel.

Also, as I noted in another thread, I was surprised at how many Thai families and couples I saw on Walking Street.  First time I've ever seen Thais in the majority in that area.

Any beach trash pics to prove this is true? Was it 90% of the hotels in that government program that offers discounts? I don't think the pattaya area has had 90% full in years. It sounds unreasonably high even most years. Am I wrong?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Any beach trash pics to prove this is true? Was it 90% of the hotels in that government program that offers discounts? I don't think the pattaya area has had 90% full in years. It sounds unreasonably high even most years. Am I wrong?

It's said above. 90% of 70% of hotels open. And we all know how Tat calculates so its should be 70% of 50% hotels that are open.

Edited by sead
  • Like 1

Probably listed as booked by the owners so when people ask about a room they can say fully booked apart from one room which is available at a higher than normal rate. People will think oh it’s full so we better take the room or we might not have a place to stay ! Then next person asks and is scammed the same way.

• Like 2

" Lively Tourism "means that Yai from Udon Itchy Fan turned up, got Bladdered on Hong Thong that was plied to her for a Laugh by her SIL, and was trance dancing along Jomtien Beach until she fell over, and snored the Afternoon away under a Brolly.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, sead said:

It's said above. 90% of 70% of hotels open. And we all know how Tat calculates so its should be 70% of 50% hotels that are open.

Yes but as Mr Too Big To Fit said until we've seen pictures of the trash they left on the beach it is hard to believe.

13 hours ago, petermik said:

Absolute tosh......perhaps 40% of Hotels open had 30% occupancy during the long weekend.....:sad:

It does  beggar belief.... I had a weekend in town before that long weekend and noticed a lot of hotels just aren't open for business, the one I was in had hardly any staff and only a few customers. Surely a hotel cannot get all the necessary staff and supplies in place to accommodate a 90% occupancy in such a short space of time from zero!

• Like 2

I visited Pattaya before the long weekend and noticed that many hotels were shuttered, closed temporarily or in some cases maybe even permanently.

If the 90% figure they mention refers to those hotels that are still open, that might well be true but would be quite meaningless when their objective is to say "everything is fine". Survivorship bias at work.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geoff65 said:

No trash as theirs no foreigners to drop it. 

Well I sat on Jomtien beach for a few hours (and a few beers) on Tuesday   there where a lot of Thais there but surprisingly they where quite good about taking their rubbish away..the bins that are normally situated on the beach side of the road where missing  so they either took it with them or to the bins across the road..normally they just leave it on the beach...I did see the  new "super duper" musical dustcart/rubbish removal van pass by twice too !!!!

P_20200728_174040.thumb.jpg.3dbd80f99196132cf46b5aba0326bd01.jpg

Well, 90% load factor - before discounting the figure to a more reasonable level. Some hotels with ample rooms to occupy were quite frank about it and referred to the fact, that the last weekend of the month is always a more difficult time slot to get Thais to spend money - which they usually do not have anymore at that moment. 

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

I visited Pattaya before the long weekend and noticed that many hotels were shuttered, closed temporarily or in some cases maybe even permanently.

Some definitely are closed, notably the Hilton. You don't know how many "permanently," if any, but it sounds good.

If the 90% figure they mention refers to those hotels that are still open, that might well be true

Yes. If you think about it, you realize it really can't possibly refer to hotels that aren't open.

but would be quite meaningless when their objective is to say "everything is fine

Which it isn't. That's merely a straw man objective that TVF posters make up to denigrate domestic tourism. Then they follow up with the revelation that international tourism is the only hope of making everything fine. Then they note, because Thais wouldn't know otherwise, that Thailand must relax its requirements before that can happen. They complain it isn't doing so, despite their brilliant advice. Ace TVF Virologists have said from the start that we don't need no stinkin' travel restrictions, quarantine, social distancing, and masks. How stupid!

And finally they play the scary music and observe portentously that "it will never be the same." This may be accompanied by a bash against the stupid, wicked Thais, an implicit assertion that only farang have and spend money (who've been terribly mistreated), and glowing reports about Vietnam.

Yawn. It's all so predictable, silly, and repetitious. 

We've seen what wasn't lively during the domestic lockdown. Yes, this is lively by comparison. Their objective was merely to point out the simple fact. As good news goes nowadays, it's good. So that's meaningful in ways you can probably figure out. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

All of which is true.  

All of which is false except that Vietnam has some good points, as of course it must. However, pointing to some other place is a standard trope in doomster rhetoric going back decades while Pattaya has merely continued to grow. ????

7 hours ago, BigStar said:

All of which is false except that Vietnam has some good points, as of course it must. However, pointing to some other place is a standard trope in doomster rhetoric going back decades while Pattaya has merely continued to grow. ????

What has Pattaya grown into?  

A world class tourist destination?  I don't think so.

A family holiday destination?  I don't think so.  

A cheap package holiday destination for tourists from developing countries?  Possibly.  

Whatever Pattaya has grown into, it isn't generating the revenue that it once did.  (pre virus)