3 years overstay. Go direct to airport or to Immigration first ?

20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Straight to the airport, pay the fine, get the ban, go home. Don't cut it too fine but unless there's some other crime on the books he won't miss his flight.

If stopped on the way to the airport arrest and a world of hurt awaits.

If he goes to immigration they may just tell him to go to the airport, alternatively arrest and a world of hurt awaits.

And what happens if the flight is canceled?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Pravda said:

And what happens if the flight is canceled?

I would think once you are passed imm. and paid your fine you should be ok?

If you arrive at the airport and see the flight is cancelled,go home and try again!!

There is always a chance with Covid in mind they would not want to put foreigners in IDC and chance the

foreigner could become infected there?

5 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

Very good question!

But Usually the flight would be cancelled before you have checked your bags in.

There is a small possibility that a flight could be cancelled as you are all sitting on the plane,, (possibly a defect).

But with Emirates, you would get moved to the next available flight to dubai... usually a 3 to 6 hour wait.

Its a 24 hour airport, so the person would just wait in airport lounge until next available flight.

Better pray that the wait is in the airport lounge, and not the "other" lounge. ????

• Haha 1

A friend of mine many years ago had 7+ years overstay. He went to the local immigration (fine & tea money in hand) a few days before he planned to leave. They couldn't handle it and told him to come back the following day to sort it out. He never got a ban, and was back in LOS within a week. And is still here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2long said:

A friend of mine many years ago had 7+ years overstay. He went to the local immigration (fine & tea money in hand) a few days before he planned to leave. They couldn't handle it and told him to come back the following day to sort it out. He never got a ban, and was back in LOS within a week. And is still here.

7 years overstay has a 10 year ban.

and you said he was back in Thailand in a week ?

I can only assume that this was NOT in Bangkok; because the immigration office in Bangkok is very 'by the book' and has many steps process (involving many people).

possibly one might be able to try bribing officials at bkk immigration but I cant imagine it would go well.. and probably end up in getting arrested.

Perhaps in a small remote regional immigration office (like the one at Nong Khai), then i can imagine you have a chance of success.

I'm guessing your friend was in a small regional office.

PS:  I assume you are talking about an actual immigration office in a town or city,  and not an immigration booth or office at the actual border.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Years ago I was on an extended overstay, and I took the option of going to Immigration, paid the maximum fine of 20,000 and also had in hand an airline ticket to Uk . They let me back in for 7 days.

The risk of messing up a 50,000 baht ticket by going direct to the airport was too high for me.  If they had kept me overnight I was screwed.

They don't keep you overnight at the airport when you're on overstay. Depending on what immigration office you visit,they might put you in IDC even if you have 20k in your hand. 

• Like 2

Not trying to scaremonger. The problem now days is the immigration love to showcase these things with an arrest and then point to the plastic board having the offenders name and picture on them to show they are actually doing something against the bad foreigners. 3 years is a pretty long time. Has anyone actually ever been arrested at the airport while checking in?

I knew a guy in a similar situation years ago. He had his ticket and he decided to go to immigration about a week before his flight to pay the fine.

They kept in in a cell at immigration until he left the country.

So even if you risk an expensive ticket it's probably the smaller problem for you to worry about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Years ago I was on an extended overstay, and I took the option of going to Immigration, paid the maximum fine of 20,000 and also had in hand an airline ticket to Uk . They let me back in for 7 days.

The risk of messing up a 50,000 baht ticket by going direct to the airport was too high for me.  If they had kept me overnight I was screwed.

As long as you arrive at the airport allowing plenty of time, there is very little risk. On the other hand, if you run into the wrong immigration official in the immigration office, you face the possibility of being taken to the immigration detention centre, formally prosecuted (meaning you miss your flight) and deported (meaning an expensive ticket, typically on a national airline). I am glad it worked out for you, but I would never take such a risk.

• Like 1

I had an 11 year overstay and most of the advice here is accurate....Go to the airport and pay the fine and exit. I cleared my overstay just before the banning rules came into play so I was able to return after a few days away in KL. The process takes about 30+ minutes. The i/o were very professional and indeed courteous (after everything was cleared they were curious as to the length). After the paperwork the matter is closed although you will be subject to a ban. Just keep a low profile until you get to the airport and you should be fine. 

• Like 2

Not overstayed anywhere near 3 years but have overstayed up until the 20000 baht limit and they didn’t even blink an eye lid the first time just paid the fine stamped overstay in my passport and gave me a receipt. Second time Was April this year but due to covid-19they stamped it and wrote covid-19 underneath the stamp and didn’t ask for a penny just let me go through. Right now I assume they just want people to get on the plane and get out.

i would highly advise not to get caught by anyone until you get to the airport as they can see you/ your friend are intending on leaving.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluebird729 said:

I think he meant that he overstayed for 7 years.

He didnt say that the incident happened 7 years ago.

He also wrote several years ago. If he left after the March of 2016 he would of been banned for 10 years.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

If he goes to immigration they may just tell him to go to the airport, alternatively arrest and a world of hurt awaits.

The sight of the Paddy wagon parked out front of immigration always makes me think making ones way to the airport makes sense.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The sight of the Paddy wagon parked out front of immigration always makes me think making ones way to the airport makes sense.

I agree.

I have always found the immigration at the airport less severe than the actual CHang Wattana immigration office.

Maybe because its an airport and feels more lively. They are surrounded by tourists who are more-a-less happy.

In the immigration offices in Chang Wattana, they are surrounded by at least 100 immigration staff. 

Almost like a collective of civil servant drones.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 2long said:

That was many years ago many things have changed I would take the risk and go direct to the airport with 20k and a tip 

You guys re giving advice like it was yesterday, have we had someone who went to the airport on a overstay since the airport has been closed, if there has been someone it has not appeared on this forum as of yet. So what will happen who really knows what immigration will do. Good luck to him if he gets to breeze thru and onto the airplane.

• Like 1

Relax and head to Airport earlier. Once in the immigration desk they will check your case and send you to a seperate counter . Pay your fine fee and you will have to sign a some document. Incase if the process takes longer and have to miss the flight , dont be pressure the worst situation is you did have to book another flight soo keep some extra cash with you. 

• Like 2