Long weekend brings B95mn boost for Phuket

webfact

Long weekend brings B95mn boost for Phuket

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1596082349_1-org.jpg

Some 16,000 tourists visited Phuket for the long weekend, reports the TAT Phuket office. Photo: TAT Phuket

PHUKET: The King’s Birthday four-day long weekend saw some 16,000 tourists come to Phuket, bringing a much-welcomed B95 million boost to the island’s economy, reports Napassorn Kakai, Director of the Phuket office of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

According to preliminary figures of bookings made through the We Travel Together campaign, hotels in Phuket taking part in the campaign saw some 30% occupancy over the weekend, from last Saturday through Tuesday (July 25-28), Ms Napasorn told The Phuket News.

However, only 80 Phuket hotels are currently registered with the campaign, offering 5,600 rooms, she added.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/long-weekend-brings-b95mn-boost-for-phuket-76828.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-07-30

Well, I flew down (5,000 THB) and spent the weekend on a scuba liveaboard. There were two full boats and I hear that the local night life was good, and some hotels were full.

1.jpg

17.JPG

21.JPG

What they mean is nearly 100 million baht that would have been spent in an even distribution around the whole country, has been spent in a single location.  Domestic tourism doesn't generate wealth it merely localises it!

So each person spent an Average of maybe 6,000 baht for the 4 days. Maybe my math is wrong but thats chump change. So a 4 day holiday for a family of 4 was 24,000 baht and included the room, food, and airfare. Now thats a cheap family vacation in my eyes. Now if they drove, well then add in the fuel cost as well and......not going to pick up the economy. Another feel good news story to make people beleve everything is good..  Not.  But hey we can travel in country freely and cheaply.

• Like 1