Windscreen Polish?

ravip

Is there any way to 'polish' the windscreen so that the small scratches, wiper marks etc can be taken out?

It is a pain to drive in the night with these, especially when it rains.

Edited by ravip

New wiper blades, and a good clean using washing up liquid, mixed with lemon juice or vinigar. After rinse, polish with water mixed with fabric conditioner. 

If you don't see a drastic improvement, then wash again with washing up liquid and water, but then apply RAIN X, or a similar product. Rain will just roll off your windscreen in beads, and you won't need to use your wipers. 

Edited by northsouthdevide
  • Thanks 1

In the UK we use something called  'jeweller's rouge' to polish out scratches. I assume it is used by jewellers to polish gems.  Its an abrasive powder. It works well on small scratches in the glass.  If the glass is a few years old with multiple small scratches then its better to replace it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need an orbital polisher and the right compound. 

You should find that most detailing shops will do that for you...at a price.

I did an old car that we have quite successfully. I borrowed the gear from a friend.

• Thanks 1

Fit new wiper blades, use a proper windsceen polish/cleaner from a company such as Autoglym and then apply Rain-X. If that doesn't improve things then a new screen will be needed. 

You do say "it's a pain to drive at night when it rains". Has the windscreen got tinted film applied on the inside? If so then removing that will immediately improve visibility at all times.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:59 AM, ThailandRyan said:

If you can find some RainX polish it will work wonders on the windscreen and help the water wick off the window as well.  I had to order mine from the States and shipped over. 

Rain-X is a great product. I use it on my vehicles and also my condo windows - they stay cleaner for much longer as dust is less likely to stick and any rain just washes dirt off. It's a pain to clean the condo windows so doing more than once a year is too often. I buy Rain-X in the UK and bring it with me.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Rain-X is a great product. I use it on my vehicles and also my condo windows - they stay cleaner for much longer as dust is less likely to stick and any rain just washes dirt off. It's a pain to clean the condo windows so doing more than once a year is too often. I buy Rain-X in the UK and bring it with me.

Will it polish out small scratches per the OP's question ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Fit new wiper blades, use a proper windsceen polish/cleaner from a company such as Autoglym and then apply Rain-X. If that doesn't improve things then a new screen will be needed. 

You do say "it's a pain to drive at night when it rains". Has the windscreen got tinted film applied on the inside? If so then removing that will immediately improve visibility at all times.

Thank you.

There are some wiper marks, hence my search for a polish. If I could get rid of these scratch marks, I guess the visibility will improve.

The night driving issue is (specially when it is raining), the oncoming traffic's lights are sort of diffused/blurry - could be accumulated oily residue from asphalt, bugs, vehicle exhaust, tar etc.?

No tint at all.

Rain-X is available in Thailand?

Failing all, yes, I will go for a new windshield.

Edit

Yes. Seems Rain-X is avaiable at Lazada

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/rain-x-automotive-glass-cleaner-680-ml-i8091879-s10134201.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistbrand.list.13.1f18ab16rED7gp&search=1

Edited by ravip

Just now, Grumpy one said:

Use Brasso or Silvo they are both  metal polish that will work on glass

The only draw back is, it takes a fair bit of time and labour

You do small areas at a time

Would Brasso or Silvo make the windscreen greasy?

On 7/30/2020 at 6:59 PM, ThailandRyan said:

If you can find some RainX polish it will work wonders on the windscreen and help the water wick off the window as well.  I had to order mine from the States and shipped over. 

yes I've been using it 'religiously' since 1979. First came from the US under the Unelko brand, as an ofFshoot from the Aerospace industry. 

It is not actually a Polish per se. A polish has 'build up' - but Rain-X you can put on as much and as often as you wish... It is a synthetic Acetic acid - like mix (so anyone not used to it must be made aware to keep it the heck away from the Duco!  

My windscreens all heavily pitted and scratched, and as said, Rain-X gets in deep. It is a psuedo Etch-like process - but has a similar effect to that of rubbing a sliced potato over the glass!

- the effect is basically a 'water off the ducks back' 

My sisters windscreen is the worst I have ever encountered - yet Rain-X restored the water beading effects instantly

You can easily get 1000km between reApplications...  

Edited by tifino
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tifino said:

yes I've been using it 'religiously' since 1979. First came from the US under the Unelko brand, as an ofFshoot from the Aerospace industry. 

It is not actually a Polish per se. A polish has 'build up' - but Rain-X you can put on as much and as often as you wish... It is a synthetic Acetic acid - like mix (so anyone not used to it must be made aware to keep it the heck away from the Duco!  

What is Duco ?

• Like 1

Practical suggestions:

1. Have a go or better get a professional to polish out the scratches as best as possible. (wiper scratches are caused by the using wipers waaaaaay beyond their best. Wiper blades should be changed annually in the Thai sun, at least bi-annually.

2. Apply Rain-x

the oncoming traffic's lights are sort of diffused/blurry

This is typical of eyesight degeneration and the possible onset of cataracts. Have you driven other vehicles at night to see if you have the same problem?  Get a thorough professional eye test.

2 minutes ago, Lancashirelad said:

Practical suggestions:

1. Have a go or better get a professional to polish out the scratches as best as possible. (wiper scratches are caused by the using wipers waaaaaay beyond their best. Wiper blades should be changed annually in the Thai sun, at least bi-annually.

2. Apply Rain-x

This is typical of eyesight degeneration and the possible onset of cataracts. Have you driven other vehicles at night to see if you have the same problem?  Get a thorough professional eye test.

Have you driven other vehicles at night to see if you have the same problem?  - Some others, yes

Get a thorough professional eye test. - Yes. Annually

• Like 1