What's up with Phuket hotel prices?!

JCP108

On 7/30/2020 at 8:52 PM, Airalee said:

Dunno where you’re looking but the only things I’m finding at 6k per night are the Heights and Kata Gardens 2Br units...and those were usually 15k per night in the past.  Never Even close to 1750-2700.

I’m seeing great deals myself.

I would agree, plenty of good deals around.

What I have noticed currently is that there are quite a few full board deals on offer which in a hotel like the Dusit can push the price up from room only at around 900 to about 5K.

23 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I'm at kata villa at the moment. Basic but clean, swimming pool, 300 baht per room including breakfast. Food ok and really cheap, take away masaman 20 baht, penang 20 baht, lasagna and spaghetti 100 baht buy one get one, etc. And most importantly atm: really relaxed atmosphere.

at those prices their barely breaking even>

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 7:25 PM, JCP108 said:

Wife and I like to go to Kata and have gone there about five times in past three years (two in high season and three times in low). In low season at our favorite hotel, we paid 1,750 B the first time and 1,900 the next. In the high season, we paid 2,000-2,700 B. I have checked on that hotel via their direct website and the online discount booking services and the cheapest rate at that hotel for the same room is 6,000 B (the direct hotel site quotes it at 7,50). What the <deleted> is up with that? This isn't even high season and I assume there is little business. Anyone else encountered this issue in Kata or other Phuket beach locations

just stay away from PIRATE island

ripp off start at airport with taxi maffia

Seemingly, reflects Thai logic. Demand is down so raise the price. It does astound western logic which says if the demand is down, reduce the price or enhance the benefits to make up the balance by appealing to more customers.

2 minutes ago, SussexExpat said:

I've just booked a room on Koh Yao Yai using Agoda. Agoda quotes the normal cost for the room for a week as 128,342 baht. I paid 19,778 for a week.

I suspect Agoda are telling porkies.

Most booking sites hugely inflate original prices, definitely rates that nobody would ever pay. Similar to hotels published or rack rates, they’re just there to show you what a hood deal you’re getting.

The only rate worth looking at is the one you’re going to pay.

46 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Most booking sites hugely inflate original prices, definitely rates that nobody would ever pay. Similar to hotels published or rack rates, they’re just there to show you what a hood deal you’re getting.

I agree. 2 weeks ago I thought about staying at a five star hotel for the first time ever. I settled on the Sands at Khao Lak. Booked a pool suite. list price Agoda 15,000 baht/night. Reduced to 3,400 Baht. I booked 2 nights and paid 8,200 baht with Taxes. Be honest I was most disappointed in the so called lounge.  Really designed as a second bedroom. Sofa hard as a bed and only a bean bag as a chair. But buffet breakfast was 5 star. On reflection I spent too much. Going to try in Ao Nang next week.    

Edited by LivinginKata
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

Seemingly, reflects Thai logic. Demand is down so raise the price. It does astound western logic which says if the demand is down, reduce the price or enhance the benefits to make up the balance by appealing to more customers.

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Old habits die hard.

Old habits like repeating nonsense?

Many excellent offers atm. The hotel the OP is looking at is not open, and not accepting bookings, hence prohibitive prices.

Edited by stevenl

4 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

I agree. 2 weeks ago I thought about staying at a five star hotel for the first time ever. I settled on the Sands at Khao Lak. Booked a pool suite. list price Agoda 15,000 baht/night. Reduced to 3,400 Baht. I booked 2 nights and paid 8,200 baht with Taxes. Be honest I was most disappointed in the so called lounge.  Really designed as a second bedroom. Sofa hard as a bed and only a bean bag as a chair. But buffet breakfast was 5 star. On reflection I spent too much. Going to try in Ao Nang next week.    

Try Phuket. Twin palms foc, but have to spend 2000 baht on food.

35 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

The brezel breads are great at the Sands. One of the best in SEA i would say.

I choose there usually the beach wing junior suite which comes around 2000 baht in low season which is a fair price. With the pool suite i also wasn't happy.

Btw LIK if you want a real 5 star drive little bit more to the JW Marriott with it 10 rai pool and one level higher breakfast buffet and rooms.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

I'm at kata villa at the moment. Basic but clean, swimming pool, 300 baht per room including breakfast. Food ok and really cheap, take away masaman 20 baht, penang 20 baht, lasagna and spaghetti 100 baht buy one get one, etc. And most importantly atm: really relaxed atmosphere.

Can't complain at that.

In 20 years i have never been to south west, did Samui once and that put me off a bit. The wife was keen to try the government scheme so we decided to try Ao Nang. Booked 3 nights at the Bluesotel and that came to 2000 baht with breakfast. Hope the street food is comparable to your prices, the wife will have a field day. Hoping we can use the vouchers on sightseeing rather than having to eat in the hotel.

2 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

booking site does not control the price you pay or the rack rate which is set by each hotel.

The higher the commission paid to agoda, booking.com,travelxxxx the higher the ranking .

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzzzz said:

at those prices their barely breaking even>

True, but Kata Villa was the first farang-orientated restaurant to reopen in Kata and also opened its hotel rooms at that very low rate as soon as they could. What they've done is attract a number of people who may never have visited the place, including many Thais, as they were the only game in town. They have many "loss-leaders" on their menu but prices fluctuate so next time you go, your 50 baht meal might be 100 baht and something else is cheaper. Theyre also able to keep staff happy; the prices are so low I've always left a decent tip. I'm sure others do the same. Before leaving Phuket for a few weeks, Kata Villa was literally the only place in Kata/Karon that you could say was busy, both as a hotel and restaurant.

45 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

booking site does not control the price you pay or the rack rate which is set by each hotel.

The higher the commission paid to agoda, booking.com,travelxxxx the higher the ranking .

Correct about the pricing (also cancellation policies, inclusions etc) but the strikethrough price seems to be invented!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, madmitch said:

True, but Kata Villa was the first farang-orientated restaurant to reopen in Kata and also opened its hotel rooms at that very low rate as soon as they could. What they've done is attract a number of people who may never have visited the place, including many Thais, as they were the only game in town. They have many "loss-leaders" on their menu but prices fluctuate so next time you go, your 50 baht meal might be 100 baht and something else is cheaper. Theyre also able to keep staff happy; the prices are so low I've always left a decent tip. I'm sure others do the same. Before leaving Phuket for a few weeks, Kata Villa was literally the only place in Kata/Karon that you could say was busy, both as a hotel and restaurant.

Correct about the pricing (also cancellation policies, inclusions etc) but the strikethrough price seems to be invented!

Been there quite a few times now for take-aways, at all times people around.

And busy at lunch and dinner, all tables filled multiple times.

2 hours ago, zzzzz said:

The booking site DOES control the price you pay in that they may give their own further discounts. Typical commission rate varies between 15-20% depending on the site and negotiated contract.

Rack rate is nothing to do with booking site, it’s a fictitious rate set by the hotel that is never paid by anyone.

Drove around Phuket two weeks ago and many places were closed.  Panwa Cape, Kata, Karon, Patong and up to Surin.

Whatever you decide on, I would call the hotel and make sure they are open first.

Wherever you decide on, now is the best time ever for a Phuket visit.  The beaches are empty.  There are no crowds anywhere.

Except for Nai Harn, which was quite crowded the day we visited.  Go figure.