What's up with Phuket hotel prices?!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven't you read aqbout the huge discounts the Thai government offers on hotel bookings?   This is the trick. Hotel puts prices up by 100%, then government offers 50% discount.   T

Thai business practice 101  less customers = higher prices.

Posted Images

Thai mentality + Thai government stimulus = let's ensure we increase the price by the exact amount of the stimulus + tack our usual price on top too.

Also as highlighted, to "make up" for the "money they are owed" thanks to the China Flu.

• Like 1

I read about this the other day... i.e. puffed up hotel prices. Something along the lines of gov wanting to only attract those who are prepared to fork out exorbitant prices.

Quite a few hotels look closed or deserted in Kata.  Not much point in staying open when you get a handful of domestic tourists visiting the island and thousands of hotels fighting over the small number of tourists.

8 hours ago, daveAustin said:

I read about this the other day... i.e. puffed up hotel prices. Something along the lines of gov wanting to only attract those who are prepared to fork out exorbitant prices.

The whole world does puff ups and then mark down in every category imaginable. 

Sounds like posters here are happy to take advantage of the situation by screwing the struggling hotels or flock to Vietnam where they are giving rooms away 😂.. Can't make this stuff up 

Good luck when the commies move you out with the other 80,000 next wave with zip refund 

Edited by madmen
On 7/30/2020 at 9:38 PM, JCP108 said:

I booked the Ibis in Kata. We've stayed there before. Currently around 850/night. Rooms are smallish but service is good and hotel and pool nice. Good location. 

I've just stayed at Aspasia .... Ibis is closed 

I just spent 10 days at Aspasia .. Very good value for a 2 double bedroom suite , just over 2,000 baht a night .. Most of Kata is closed but a few restaurants are open .. You really need a car to get around .

13 hours ago, churchill said:

I've just stayed at Aspasia .... Ibis is closed 

There were some time ago many issues with aspasia due to a feud between management and owners of condos there.. Did you book direct or Airbnb or something?

Edited by stevenl
1 hour ago, stevenl said:

There were some time ago many issues with aspasia due to a feud between management and owners of condos there.. Did you book direct or Airbnb or something?

New management in there now (Resava - Swedish run) and it's on all the regular online booking sites.

• Thanks 1

The problem staying around Kata it's like a ghost town I think at this time would be better in Patong at least more restaurants are open and Jungceylon try the Holiday Inn 

On 7/30/2020 at 10:25 PM, JCP108 said:

Anyone else encountered this issue in Kata or other Phuket beach locations?

I encountered this in Hua Hin over the past long weekend where the hotel we usually stay at increased their rate by 85%.

I have no explanation why your is up so high, although I am assuming the 7,50 is actually 7,500 and not say 750, if it is 7,500, would definitely give that one a wide berth.

Have a look at the iBis rates a standard double or twin with breakfast is just under 1,000 baht. They have a swimming pool & onsite parking, I only use iBis hotels in Thailand, except when my recent experience showed that Hua Hin upped their rate by 85% for the long weekend, so if you stick to the usual week days they're cheap, weekends rates go up slightly, which is understandable to make up for the sluggish weekdays of the hotels being pretty much empty, but 85% for a long weekend, yeh right, not me I look for value when it comes to parting with my money as I require too rooms each time as I have 6 of us, and require the family room and a twin room.