Trump raises possibility of delaying November U.S. presidential election

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The trouble with this latest idiocy from Trump is that his suggestion to postpone the election isn’t a ‘political viewpoint’ issue, it’s an affront the Constitution and the Democratic process that is held dear by people from across the political spectrum.

Those who oppose Trump will naturally push back against this latest dangerous idiocy, but his fear driven suggestion to delay the election is creating political opponents amongst those he ought to be able to rely on, the ‘Right wing’ of US politics.

He gains zero votes from this while certainly losing support.

His dwindling base is condensing to those few who will never accept criticism of Trump even when he is so obviously wrong in his suggestion.

The rest of America, aren’t buying his dangerous idiocy.

November can’t come soon enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/opinion/trump-delay-election-coronavirus.html

IMO any Trump supporters will realise that he's just yanking the opposition chain. I certainly don't take it seriously.

Problem is, IMO, that Trump haters are so lacking, IMO, in a sense of humour that they take everything he says as gospel, and take the bait. If it's in the constitution Trump knows he can't change it, and if he didn't, he would have been so informed already.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, simple1 said:

Due to trump's outlandish performance as President no surprise at all if he's voted out. Given NZ politics one would assume US citizens looking to move to the US would be wanting to get away from the outcomes of trump administration extremism.

Given that the polls indicate he will lose, and that none of them will be able to move to NZ during lockdown, it's likely, IMO, they are looking to escape a Dem win.

Time will tell though.

It will be interesting to see which side Republicans take over this suggestion. Having incited social divisions deflecting from the mounting general issues the US is  going to need to face  regardless of who wins the election a direct suggestion of assuming a Dictator role should scare the shi* out of US people!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

Does middle America want to end democracy in America?

Is middle America as blind to the corruption of Trump and his cronies as you seem to be?

They know they can't.

I know that Trump is flawed and may be corrupt, ( though no court has ever proven him to so be, far as I know ), but I preferred him to her, and will, in the absence of any better alternative, prefer him to Biden. I expect many in middle America to be of similar mind come November. That's the problem when good men will not stand for the presidency because of, IMO, the media onslaught- get to pick between 2 awful candidates.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Assuming Trump actually thought before he spoke (a big assumption) then this would be his way of sending out a trial balloon and seeing how the public reacts.  If the push-back isn't strong, he'll pursue the election delay tactic.

Is the date in the constitution, or not? If it is, they CAN'T change it, PERIOD.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

You are correct in the sense of joe Biden winning the election would be great the rest of your post I disagree with trump has undermined the institutions that keep this country going he has dropped our nation off a cliff he has brought us ruin and shame he has betrayed our allies our constitution our trust I’m hard pressed to find a reason for your terror of a dem lead country unless you really belive trumps scare monger bs 

I just remember the previous president and have no desire for version 2 to be in charge of the western world.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They know they can't.

I know that Trump is flawed and may be corrupt, ( though no court has ever proven him to so be, far as I know ), but I preferred him to her, and will, in the absence of any better alternative, prefer him to Biden. I expect many in middle America to be of similar mind come November. That's the problem when good men will not stand for the presidency because of, IMO, the media onslaught- get to pick between 2 awful candidates.

A false equivalence.

Biden is nothing like Trump.

The choice ‘middle America’ are going to make is ‘four more years of this disastrous mistake’?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is the date in the constitution, or not? If it is, they CAN'T change it, PERIOD.

The US Constitution gives Congress the power to set election dates, and mandates that Trump's Presidency end at noon on January 20, 2021 unless he is re-elected.

However I seriously doubt that Trump will let the Constitution or law prevent him from attempting to delay the election if he thinks he can get away with it.