Extension of stays based on medical certificate?

According to the point 1.1 of the announcement attached below there is a way to extend your stay past 26th base on illness confirmed by medical certificate.

Anyone to shade some light on details of this mistery?

What sort of institution would be able to issue such certificate so it is legally accepted by IO?

What kind of illness?

From this simple declaration it would be to easy.

Example:

Let's say you are going through a procedure of dental implant installation. Tooth extraction, followed by wound healing, then followed by bone graft, implant and crown installation takes 6-8 month.

Such a procedure done properly should be carried as one go by a single team of dentists.

FB_IMG_1596123920101.jpg

I was wondering if a pre-existing condition, such as diabetes, which makes it very dangerous to be exposed to COVID, would be sufficient to obtain a medical certificate and an extension of stay?

4 hours ago, PFV said:

I was wondering if a pre-existing condition, such as diabetes, which makes it very dangerous to be exposed to COVID, would be sufficient to obtain a medical certificate and an extension of stay?

Did your diabetes condition prevent you from travelling to Thailand.

The answer to that, answers your question.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Did your diabetes condition prevent you from travelling to Thailand.

The answer to that, answers your question.

Traveled well before the COVID pandemic began. Today, I would not travel to Thailand. Insurance agents I contacted for COVID insurance both in my home country and here said I would be crazy to travel right now.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Most of these sic visa extensions done through agent where no questions ask policy for a cost of course...

Do you know of any agents like this? I asked 2 in Chiang mai but they couldn't help.

10 hours ago, jackdd said:

An illness which doesn't allow you to travel.

The document doesn't state anyway it has to be illness that doesn't allow you to travel.

What's more still a month ago or so there were announcement coming up to open up Thailand for specific types of visitors and those seaking medical treatment were clearly on the list.

1 hour ago, kd2000 said:

The document doesn't state anyway it has to be illness that doesn't allow you to travel.

a.JPG.5e6c520186e5c333b31ca5d9b3720134.JPG

1 hour ago, kd2000 said:

What's more still a month ago or so there were announcement coming up to open up Thailand for specific types of visitors and those seaking medical treatment were clearly on the list.

At least in the inital announcement (i don't know if this still applies or not) they said such a person needs a certificate from a doctor which states that the treatment is not possible in this person's home country. Might work if you come from Bangladesh, will not work if you come from Europe.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, PFV said:

It is a long shot, frankly. If a doctor at a major hospital was willing to write, sign and stamp a letter to the effect that you are not fit to fly and why, your local immigration office might accept it. However, immigration tends to be very skeptical of applications for medical extensions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jackdd said:

At least in the inital announcement (i don't know if this still applies or not) they said such a person needs a certificate from a doctor which states that the treatment is not possible in this person's home country. Might work if you come from Bangladesh, will not work if you come from Europe.

Make sense. Thanks a lot for all responses!

Are there any alternatives of extensions you might think off?

I was hoping to apply for ED but been told by 2 schools it's impossible to get it as my last ED was cancelled 15 April and I'm currently staying on no visa at all.

(What btw doesn't make sense to me as from what I know many people do somhow get ED. How?)

5 hours ago, kd2000 said:

Why do you think there's a certificate needed if you can travel back home? The certificate from a hospital will of course state that you are to sick to fly home and treatment is needed here. People seeking medical treatment from overseas are not the same category. They are so called "medical tourists" and are paying for sometime very expensive treatments back home or they might have to wait a long time for treatment back home. You're mixing apples and oranges. 

6 hours ago, kd2000 said:

Do you know of any agents like this? I asked 2 in Chiang mai but they couldn't help.

I guess during the amnesty it's not same easy procedure for agents because of the automatic extensions. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you think there's a certificate needed if you can travel back home? The certificate from a hospital will of course state that you are to sick to fly home and treatment is needed here. People seeking medical treatment from overseas are not the same category. They are so called "medical tourists" and are paying for sometime very expensive treatments back home or they might have to wait a long time for treatment back home. You're mixing apples and oranges. 

This have been already clarified above but thanks for input.

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

An illness which doesn't allow you to travel.

They can pull your teeth if it hurts and then you can fly back home, i doubt anybody would see this as a reason why you can't travel.

Is there a distinction between a regular medical tourism visa, and an extension for medical purposes? As contrary to what you posted, the medical visa is commonly applied for before you enter the country. Quite obviously you're fit to fly in such conditions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

Is there a distinction between a regular medical tourism visa, and an extension for medical purposes? As contrary to what you posted, the medical visa is commonly applied for before you enter the country. Quite obviously you're fit to fly in such conditions.

Afaik before covid you could get a medical visa for a planned treatment at a Thai hospital. But when the 90 days were over you were supposed to leave, unless you were unable to travel. (Thailand has some special rules for citizens of some middle eastern countries, i'm talking about other countries than these).

So i would say yes, the "visa" and the "extension" served different purposes. Just because a teeth treatment took 10 months, didn't mean you could stay in Thailand continuously for 10 months.

• Like 2

You need a letter from a hospital stating you are completely unable to travel, and this would usually also mean you are an inpatrient in the hospital.  In my experience with several different Imm offices, they will also want photos of the patient in the hospital and expect this to show someone obviously very ill/incapacitated.

This reason for extension is taken very seriously and not issued lightly or on minor grounds. I haven't  known agents to be able to help with it.

The annoubncement is just making clear that this sort of extension is still possible. The normal rules for it have nto been in any way relaxed.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 7:26 PM, Sheryl said:

You need a letter from a hospital stating you are completely unable to travel, and this would usually also mean you are an inpatrient in the hospital.  In my experience with several different Imm offices, they will also want photos of the patient in the hospital and expect this to show someone obviously very ill/incapacitated.

This reason for extension is taken very seriously and not issued lightly or on minor grounds. I haven't  known agents to be able to help with it.

The annoubncement is just making clear that this sort of extension is still possible. The normal rules for it have nto been in any way relaxed.

So, although someone could be suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity, which are common co-morbidities, and being treated in Thailand on an out-patient basis, immigration would not grant an extension unless the patient were also hospitalized, despite the fact that 40% of Covid-19 deaths involve diabetics?

1 hour ago, PFV said:

So, although someone could be suffering from diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity, which are common co-morbidities, and being treated in Thailand on an out-patient basis, immigration would not grant an extension unless the patient were also hospitalized, despite the fact that 40% of Covid-19 deaths involve diabetics?

Correct.

An extension is granted only if the illness or injury is such that it makes travel impissible. An outpatient being treated for these sorts of things can certainly travel.

While it is not 100% required that you be hospitalized it is generally expected and if nto hospitalized the case would have to be made that travel is impossible, which is hard to do.

30 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

An extension is granted only if the illness or injury is such that it makes travel impissible. An outpatient being treated for these sorts of things can certainly travel.

I have seen a few report of a medical treatment extension was granted due something as small as a cast on a person's foot and such. Some things do need continuing medical care without being hospital care by a hospital or doctor.

There are many cases where a person could not easily travel.

2 hours ago, PFV said:

What you'd need is a very vehemently worded doctor's certificate stating that due to your conditions and extremely high risk factor it was strongly recommended you did not travel. Even then your at the mercy of Immigration.

Thank you very much Sheryl, ubonjoe, and Tanoshi.

This was a hypothetical question, in case someone could not apply for a different extension due to lack of funds or some other reason. I think it would be heartless for Thai Immigration to force folks with conditions such as the one I listed above on a risky flight home. But then again, we just need to look at US Immigration to see how callous officials can be (i.e. separating children from families.)