Stardome Golf Club - closing down?

Thailand

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Just an unsubstantiated rumor,  not sad.

The caddies and staff blocking entry to the course this morning may think differently and there appeared a few from the press there as well. 

However, around 20 officials from the army also were present and told the media that we were not allowed into the meeting, as the land belonged to the air force. They also told the media not to release any news about this matter and to only do so following a letter of permission.

ohh dear   and

Dr. Panwipa Klitsadapong, manager of Star Dome said that Star Dome had bid for the rights to manage this golf course for 30 years, from 2007-2037, investing over 200 million baht in the nine hole golf course and driving range along with all of the other facilities and landscaping. After signing the contract, the army contacted them to tell them that thirty years was too long and asked to renegotiate every three years, when the rent would increase by 5%

Another reminder to those thinking of  "investing"

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

The caddies and staff blocking entry to the course this morning may think differently and there appeared a few from the press there as well. 

The article makes it no longer a rumor.  Thanks for posting it.

I just received a Line message from Chiang Mai Archery, located in the Star Dome complex.

I've been shooting there four days a week for the past year and a half.  But....

... as of 10pm tonight, Star Dome's entry doors will be locked, at least for the next two weeks as they try to negotiate a new lease. Currently, the Air Force wants to renegotiate the rent, and increase the rental fee by 500%.

Things don't look promising. Besides the golf course and the Archery Center, there are several other businesses (restaurants, mini-marts, driving range, golf pro shop, etc.) affected by this closure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The Air Force are expected to open their own golf course on the land .

Why are the Air force renting out their land for commercial purposes though ?

Apart from many golf courses,stadiums and racetracks around Thailand the military have interests in just about every money making business you can think of.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, Thailand said:

Apart from many golf courses,stadiums and racetracks around Thailand the military have interests in just about every money making business you can think of.

From what I have seen they certainly do have their hand in the cookie jar everywhere.

• Like 1

Been that way a long long time.

These photos start me wondering...

OK, the 'landlord' (in this case the Thai Air Force,) terminates the lease and locks the doors (in this case a BIG STEEL FENCE with spikes on top.) So why the need for the extra red and white blockade barrier behind it?
And... more importantly, why so suddenly and so completely that people can't even empty their lockers or shops? Add to that, Military Police guarding the doors? I've never heard of an eviction so heavy-handed or draconian.

Lot's of questions... not many answers.

30 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I've never heard of an eviction so heavy-handed or draconian.

Lot's of questions... not many answers.

Do you know what took place between the tenants and landlord?  Discussions? Documents?  I don’t think you do other than possibly the bits reported which clearly cannot be all of it.  Without knowing how can you judge.  Clearly there were some negotiations. Perhaps eviction notices obtained and delivered, do you know they weren’t?

3 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Do you know what took place between the tenants and landlord?  Discussions? Documents?  I don’t think you do other than possibly the bits reported which clearly cannot be all of it.  Without knowing how can you judge.  Clearly there were some negotiations. Perhaps eviction notices obtained and delivered, do you know they weren’t?

As it happens, I DO know.

As a paid member, I shoot there four days a week, , I KNOW it took Chiang Mai Archery completely by surprise. I was there on Thursday, and no one said anything about getting closed. I KNOW that on Thursday, the Mini-mart was receiving a merchandise delivery when I drove into the complex. I KNOW that's hardly the behavior of a shop knowing it was going to be shut at least for the next two weeks, not knowing if it would be allowed to reopen.  I KNOW that the next day Chiang Mai Archery sent out notices to all members via Line at 20:37, telling us that at 10pm, the gates to the complex  would get shut and locked, and no one getting in. I KNOW we had less than two hours notice to collect any personal equipment stored there.

These are things I DO know. All I'm left with are questions why behavior so heavy-handed or draconian.

Edited by FolkGuitar

On 8/1/2020 at 5:51 AM, CorpusChristie said:

The Air Force are expected to open their own golf course on the land .

Why are the Air force renting out their land for commercial purposes though ?

So that someone else could develop it, then they break the lease the developer had and take over a now developed piece of property.  I would call that getting a turn key business for nothing....

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know exactly where these funds are going to. Funding the air force?, or into greedy pockets? 

17 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

I would think that a percentage of the  payments are passed upwards to their Superiors

I would gather the same. Cook the books and split the rest amongst the highest ranking. CM has so much owned by the military. Even by the airport that PTT gas station is owned by the air force. Some big money. 

Edited by holy cow cm