Process/documents to work as teacher?

ThLT

I've grouped all the documents I think I need. I have some understanding of part of the process, however, with nothing mentioned anywhere on immigration websites, there are some things I think I'm missing.

What I have so far:

- Transcript

- Original diploma

- Police clearance

- Passport

1. I will be doing an affidavit for my diploma and transcript.

2. My police clearance is over 6 months, so I will be getting a new one at the PCS Center in Bangkok (I still don't know if it's possible to do so without a letter from the school, though).

What I think I'm missing:

- English-Thai translation of transcript and diploma

- "Authentification" stamp of translation of transcript/diploma

- Certified copy of passport

Are the above 3 things needed (if so, how/where)?

Am I missing anything?

9 minutes ago, ThLT said:

1. I will be doing an affidavit for my diploma and transcript.

18 years here never had to do this... where did you come up with this one?

Certified copy of passport? Really?

I am glad I have been here long enough not to be looking for advice from your post dude...

Copy of TEFL?

Why isn't your school taking care of this? You seem like a newbie who doesn't even have a contract yet. Step 1... get a contract...

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

18 years here never had to do this... where did you come up with this one?

Copy of TEFL?

Why isn't your school taking care of this? You seem like a newbie who doesn't even have a contract yet. Step 1... get a contract...

For some countries (such as the US), you can only do an affidavit, since the embassy/consulate will not authenticate documents for some reason.

I'm in the process of finding a good school, but also want to prepare my documents beforehand—to maybe cut down the time it takes by a few weeks.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ThLT said:

For some countries (such as the US), you can only do an affidavit, since the embassy/consulate will not authenticate documents for some reason.

why bother... if the TCT approves your waiver you are set... where did you come up with this stuff?

13 minutes ago, ThLT said:

I'm in the process of finding a good school

Good luck. With no experience how will you know what is a good school in Thailand?

You really have no clue so find a job first and let the school tell you what you need. Other than that you are wasting your time and spending money and energy for nothing.

13 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

[...]

If I can save a few weeks, that's good. 

Again, getting all these documents ready (and appointments as well!) can take up to 1-2 months—which is why I am asking about how to prepare my documents...

Edited by ThLT

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

I give up... enjoy your wild goose chase. Only been living here and working here 18 years so what do I know, right?

When did you last prepare your documents for work? Advice from 15 or even 2 years ago is usually outdated when it comes to immigration, etc.

- Most schools (at least private schools and those around Bangkok/Chiang Mai) require to have your documents verified.

- At the moment, appointments at embassies and consulates are difficult to get. Even the police clearance, which is needed for all schools, requires you to go to Bangkok at the PCS Center. 

I'm asking what documents I need, so that I get prepare them—and book appointments—in advance... Which in the end might save multiple weeks.

Edited by ThLT

8 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This ad campaign in the early 90's is what got me to first consider teaching, [...]

Thanks. Yeah, if I can have a good impact on my students—especially if they can become lifelong learners, I'll have done a small positive difference. ????

• Haha 2

On 8/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Great website/resource. Thanks.

On 8/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

never argue with a fool in public, from a distance it's often hard to tell one from the other :wai:

Thanks, I'll keep that one in mind. ????

What I think I'm missing:

- English-Thai translation of transcript and diploma

- "Authentification" stamp of translation of transcript/diploma

- Certified copy of passport

Are the above 3 things needed (if so, how/where)?

Am I missing anything?

-The translation of your transcripts and diploma is only needed when the documents are not in English. 

-Part two of your question is, therefore, already answered as you wrote English to Thai. 

-"Certified copy of passport"? I guess you mean "signed passport copies" that you will need for Immigration and the labour department. 

If I were you, I'd look for a job now and not waste my time with documents you might be okay with.

The criminal check is needed, that's for sure.

But that can be done in the province's police station where you found a job.

They take fingerprints and send them to Bangkok. It's 200 baht plus money for a stamp.

Edited by teacherclaire
Make America rich again.
  • Thanks 1