BANGKOK

2 hours ago, dsj said:

I don't know why they can't give you your regular plates right away. In British Columbia, Canada as soon as you buy a car new/used you can go straight away to an agent and get your permanent plates. Also you can chose what ever plates the agent have available.

I think, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, it is to do with paying of taxes by the dealer. Once these taxes are paid then they can get the white plates, hence delays.

Just get the red plates and the log book.

Fill the log book if you drive out ou province.

I drove many time Chiangmai to Pattaya and return and was asked the book twice on road blocks.

As soon as the policeman see I have the book they let me on my way. 

The first one checked if the book was filled, the other one no.

• Like 1

Dealers string out registering new vehicles because the buyer pays the 100,000? tax, and they can bank it for a few months. There is no other reason for the dealer to not complete the process within a day or two.

The issue with this behaviour is that many people are driving around in unregistered vehicles, so technically breaking the law. When the dealer eventually does the registration, it is not back-dated to the time of purchase. Its likely that insurance companies would think twice about any claims in such a situation.

• Like 2

Thought you could drive  out  of  province but  not when its  dark, whole things a bloody   joke anyway, like something out of  the ark, why they dont  just   sell cars with numbers from the get go  held at the dealers like in the UK, red  plate  rubbish, just another  look at me fashion statement for many

• Like 1

Once the sale is agreed and money is paid, there's absolutely no need for anything to go to a dealer's 'head office' let alone take more than the 30-days street legality of red plates.

FWIW. it's probably 18 months since the police said that red plates were no longer required but I don't recall seeing anything official in that regard.

• Like 2

I see ever increasing numbers of vehicles with no plates at all. Most of these are obviously brand new, many are high-end imports. Is this another "don't you know who I am?" situation?

A friend of mine bought a new car five years ago. With red plates, they leaved Chonburi to travel to his gf:s home village. There they was stopped at a checkpoint and get a fee of 6000 baht. 1000 baht for each province border they had passed. No one had told him that he had to fill in the book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UncleMhee said:

Guess that all depends on where you're residing.....Here in LOS it's 1 August. Wesley's birthday is 31 July.

ha, beat me to it !!

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Parsve said:

A friend of mine bought a new car five years ago. With red plates, they leaved Chonburi to travel to his gf:s home village. There they was stopped at a checkpoint and get a fee of 6000 baht. 1000 baht for each province border they had passed. No one had told him that he had to fill in the book.

he got stooged, the fine aint anywhere near that amount.

He should have read up on the rules and fine and stood his ground.

The police back down real quick when they know they are trying it on.... don't raise your voice though cause they aint shy pulling a gun if feeling threatened, then life gets more difficult.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

Dealers have a day when someone goes to register new plates.If you collect a new Car and is payed for you can go yourself and get the new plate, I do because i have sod all else to do in the Boonies. Nip back to dealer n let em slap em on.:drunk:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dsj said:

I don't know why they can't give you your regular plates right away. In British Columbia, Canada as soon as you buy a car new/used you can go straight away to an agent and get your permanent plates. Also you can chose what ever plates the agent have available.

It's another way for people to flex on how rich they are with a brand new car - I assume there's very very very little desire to phase out another culturally driven social status indicator.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

Just get the red plates and the log book.

Fill the log book if you drive out ou province.

I drove many time Chiangmai to Pattaya and return and was asked the book twice on road blocks.

As soon as the policeman see I have the book they let me on my way. 

The first one checked if the book was filled, the other one no.

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

I do have the option of waiting to pick up the car until the white plates are ready. but as I would have to pay in full first my concern is that the dealer might then take forever and I'd have no leverage.

16 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

Dealers have a day when someone goes to register new plates.If you collect a new Car and is payed for you can go yourself and get the new plate, I do because i have sod all else to do in the Boonies. Nip back to dealer n let em slap em on.:drunk:

Thanks - can you describe what exactly I need to get from the dealer to go and do this?

The dealers out where I am are claiming it takes so long because they have to send paperwork to Honda HQ in Bangkok first and get something back before they can register the plates.  ??

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Once the sale is agreed and money is paid, there's absolutely no need for anything to go to a dealer's 'head office' let alone take more than the 30-days street legality of red plates.

That is what I thought too, but 2 separate dealers have now said this.

2 hours ago, NotEinstein said:

Dealers string out registering new vehicles because the buyer pays the 100,000? tax, and they can bank it for a few months. There is no other reason for the dealer to not complete the process within a day or two.

The issue with this behaviour is that many people are driving around in unregistered vehicles, so technically breaking the law. When the dealer eventually does the registration, it is not back-dated to the time of purchase. Its likely that insurance companies would think twice about any claims in such a situation.

A very good point.