Red Plates

Sheryl

Drivers with red plates must seek permission from authorities if they want to use the vehicle at night. Cars with red plates cannot be driven out of the province where the vehicle was registered at purchase. Drivers must ask for permission each time they want to travel outside the specified area. Documents must be in order, with the destination and the dates of travel. Red-plated cars are not allowed to use expressways. Drivers of cars with red plates must have all car-related documents, a proper driving licence, and ID card ready for checks at all times. Police officers are authorized to stop any car with a red plate to examine the car and the driver's documents even if no traffic offence has occurred.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

The police back down real quick when they know they are trying it on....

Which is why I want to know what the actual, current law is

As mentioned to reach Bangkok I have  through several check points. All cars are stopped at these, and if there is any possible excuse for a fine, they will impose it.

So I would really, really like to be sure of the actual current law on this. Puts me at a disadvantage with the police not to know, and they  may  sense that.

As someone also mentioned, rumor has it that the plates are delayed because the dealer must pay the head office for the car first, and they are keen to float the money for awhile. Agency will process in a day of so; you can try insisting on no red plate. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks, just what I needed to know.

I do have the option of waiting to pick up the car until the white plates are ready. but as I would have to pay in full first my concern is that the dealer might then take forever and I'd have no leverage.

you gunna let that car sit waiting for 30days/months ?

54 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As mentioned to reach Bangkok I have  through several check points. All cars are stopped at these, and if there is any possible excuse for a fine, they will impose it.

wow, what province are you traveling from that they have police stop points that check paperwork in detail.

Have traveled extensively in Thailand not seen stops that rigid.

45 minutes ago, flbkk said:

As someone also mentioned, rumor has it that the plates are delayed because the dealer must pay the head office for the car first, and they are keen to float the money for awhile. Agency will process in a day of so; you can try insisting on no red plate. 

Tried that. Answer was fine but have to pay in full first. My fear is that I would then be in for a very, very long wait for the car with plates to arrive and have no leverage. I think I may do better to insist on registering the plates myself. The local DLT isn't too bad wait wise.

46 minutes ago, flbkk said:

I'm having a little trouble following this...surely they have to pay first to get the red plates? But the delay is not for the car and red plates, it is for getting the white plates after the red plates have been issued. As far as I can figure out the only money in play at that point is 4000 baht registration fee for the white plates (plus of course they have the deposit on the red plates).?

45 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

current law has been mentioned a few times already inthis thread.

Multiple, different versions of the law have been mentioned. None with a source (unless one counts Wikipedia which I don 't).

It seems clear that it used to be the law that one could neither drive at night nor drive out of the province where the sale was registered, but some people have said this has since changed.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sheryl, 

You can expedite receiving your white plate by registering your car at the DLT yourself at the DLT in MoChit.

4th Floor (entrance to the building circled in red).

Take the following:

- Brown Book (registered to the red plates). 

- Affirmation of Address / Proof or Residence.

- Passport Copy

- Proof of Purchase 

(2 photocopies of each item - just incase).

Go to the Vehicle registration office, 4th floor DLT. You will be handed a queue number. 

Once your queue number is called (I have waited about 10 mins each time I’ve done this). 

You get to select the Registration number you want from a list (you have 3 choices, you chose in order of preference) and write the numbers down on a list.

You then queue again (5m away), your documents are checked and you are handed a Receipt (with a code on it and the registration number)

Scan this and message it to your dealer. 

The dealer can then have the plates made up - it shouldn’t take the dealer long (less than a week). 

The process is very simple, depending on how many people are there it may take 30mins to an hour.

This is for Bangkok Registered Cars. IF your car is going to be registered in a different province, I imagine they have the same process there (perhaps quieter and quicker) - thus find the DLT office nearest to your house and see what they can do.

Brown Book:

Use your Brown Book - fill it out in Pencil each day. 

If you are doing the same journey - just fill out the two journeys (for there and back) and change the dates each day:

Thanks for that. I do nto live in Bangkok but the principle should be the same, and I have several times registered used cars at the local DLT.   The only hitch I can think of is if I buy the car in Bangkok and then need to register it locally. Does that alter the paperwork requirements or is it still just the brown book plus proof of sale?

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Multiple, different versions of the law have been mentioned. None with a source (unless one counts Wikipedia which I don 't).

It seems clear that it used to be the law that one could neither drive at night nor drive out of the province where the sale was registered, but some people have said this has since changed.

as I said earlier. New car ownership really is  not as bad as you  are (over) thinking it.

for your peace (paranoid) of mind you would be best to buy used and hope its been maintained and not turn into an expensive rabbit hole.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

I'm having a little trouble following this...surely they have to pay first to get the red plates? But the delay is not for the car and red plates, it is for getting the white plates after the red plates have been issued. As far as I can figure out the only money in play at that point is 4000 baht registration fee for the white plates (plus of course they have the deposit on the red plates).?

The dealer has the red plates in stock and can put them on any car he wants.

In another topic i once explained why there might be such a delay:

On 4/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, jackdd said:

It's all about money (taxes and interest)

The exact procedures might of course vary, depending on the brand and how everything is handled, but the reason is about like this:

The dealer orders a vehicle from the head office, which is delivered to him with a payment period of maybe 2 months. So the dealer has 2 months time until he actually has to pay the head office for this vehicle (could be a vehicle which he wants to put in his showroom, or one which he sold already)

Because he didn't pay the vehicle yet, he doesn't get the documents required to register the vehicle. These documents are not issued by the head office itself, but the head office has to request them from the government, and upon requesting them they have to pay certain taxes for this vehicle.

If you go to a dealer and order a vehicle which they don't have in the showroom:

The dealer takes your money and just keeps it, preferably the whole two months before he has to pay the head office. Then the head office would also like to keep the money as long as possible before they have to pay the taxes for the car, so maybe they wait another month. Then finally they pay their taxes, get the required documents, send them to the dealer, who gives them to an agent who does the registration.

Of course it would be totally possible for the dealer to pay the head office as soon as he has your money, they pay their taxes and send the dealer the documents. The buyer could probably have the white plates within 2 days. But financially it's better for them to let you drive on red plates for as long as they can get away with.

If you buy a vehicle from the dealer which sits in their showroom:

You can be lucky and their two months payment period is over, so they paid the vehicle and got the required documents from head office already. All they have to do is register the vehicle for you, could be done within a day.

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for that. I do nto live in Bangkok but the principle should be the same, and I have several times registered used cars at the local DLT.   The only hitch I can think of is if I buy the car in Bangkok and then need to register it locally. Does that alter the paperwork requirements or is it still just the brown book plus proof of sale?

I think, if you buy in Bangkok the dealer will register the car in Bangkok. Whereas you register the car yourself it would be advantageous for you to do this in your own province. 

As I have never done this myself, I am unable to answer that question of whether or not this becomes any more complex with any degree of certainty.

I imagine its not an issue, this is something done quite regularly when people from out of province come to Bangkok to get better deals or to get deals from the motorshow exhibitions. 

Also, dealerships are like franchises: Consider when buying a car whether you will be able to go to any dealer for maintenance and servicing or if you have to visit the dealership from where you purchased the vehicle (this point may have already been raised - I haven’t read the whole of your other thread). 

Authorities to crack down on red license plates

BANGKOK, 8th August 2017 (NNT) - The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has instructed owners of new vehicles with red license plates to register their vehicles within 30 days, in anticipation of a new law abolishing red license plates.

The Council of the State has approved a new bill abolishing red license plates. The bill is now undergoing deliberation in the National Legislative Assembly. DLT Director-General Sanit Promwong confirmed that under the new law, all street-legal vehicles must be registered and red license plates will no longer be issued.

Starting January 1st, 2018, new car owners must register their vehicles within 30 days. During a period of grace from October 1st to December 31st, 2017, vehicle registrations must be carried out within 60 days, and owners are required to carry vehicle handbooks. All vehicles with red license plates must have their handbooks issued by the DLT.

The DLT has coordinated with the Royal Thai Police in enforcing the new measure, as unregistered vehicles are subject to criminal charges of fraud. Violators will be subject to jail terms from six months to five years and a fine of up to 10,000 baht.

Deputy Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol Lt Gen Wittaya Prayongpan revealed today that red license plates were never meant for street-legal vehicles, although some people have continued to drive with red license plates.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 1

Article from the Nation.

Newly-bought vehicles that carry temporary red license plates will be banned from streets starting in June if a draft law is enacted, the Land Transport Department chief said on Monday.
Sanit Promwong, director general of the Land Transport Department, said a draft law to implement the ban was being reviewed by the Office of the Council of State and would be debated at public hearings as required by Article 77 of the new Constitution.

He said the law was expected to be enacted in June, after which all new vehicles must have been registered to have license plates before they can be driven.

Currently, new vehicles can be driven for up to 30 days with temporary plates, while the permanent ones are being registered.

Pending the new law’s enactment, the owner of any vehicle that continues to carry red license plates after the 30-day leniency period will face a fine of Bt10,000, Sanit said.

He added that his department had streamlined the registration process and it could be completed in just one day.

(Source:-The Nation, Thailand)

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1020326-new-vehicles-with-temporary-license-plates-to-be-banned/

Edited by IvorBiggun2

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Article from the Nation.

Seems not to have been enacted as yet as still plenty of red plates on the road, and dealers still issue them at purchase.

But the 30 day rule, which is old, is indeed my understanding.

8 hours ago, Parsve said:

A friend of mine bought a new car five years ago. With red plates, they leaved Chonburi to travel to his gf:s home village. There they was stopped at a checkpoint and get a fee of 6000 baht. 1000 baht for each province border they had passed. No one had told him that he had to fill in the book.

The fine for driving with no plates at all is 6000 baht with possible  seizure of the vehicle. I haven't heard of anyone paying so much for a simple red plate infraction. They don't have border controls either.

Sheryl,

First thank you for all the help you have provided to the people on Thai visa!

Be sure you get a brown book with you red tags.  You will pay a refundable 2,500 baht deposit.  Then fill out the brown book every time that you take a trip out of your province. If you go to Chiang Mai, fill it in before you leave, and again before you leave Chiang Mai to return to Bangkok. Forget about everyone who says you'll never be stopped. One time we forgot to fill it in, we were stopped at a check point and had to pay a small fine.

If you need help, PM me and my Thai wife will be happy to assist you.  (She is a Ph.D. who speaks English.)

Good luck,

Don

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, worrab said:

I think, and I am sure I will be corrected if wrong, it is to do with paying of taxes by the dealer. Once these taxes are paid then they can get the white plates, hence delays.

This point is still bothering me in terms of my plan to do the registration myself in order to get the white plates more quickly.

If the plates are nto issued until the dealer has paid the tax, and the dealer postpones that, then how would I be able to register the vehicle?

What documentation shows that the taxes have been paid, and would I not need to have that?

I worry about entering into an agreement based on the assumption that I can register the car myself only to find out I can't because the dealer has not yet paid the tax.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

This point is still bothering me in terms of my plan to do the registration myself in order to get the white plates more quickly.

You can't save much time by doing it yourself, maybe a few days.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

If the plates are nto issued until the dealer has paid the tax, and the dealer postpones that, then how would I be able to register the vehicle?

You won't.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

What documentation shows that the taxes have been paid, and would I not need to have that?

Of course you need this, it's called หนังสือรับรองหลักฐานการส่งบัญชีรับและจำหน่ายรถ

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I worry about entering into an agreement based on the assumption that I can register the car myself only to find out I can't because the dealer has not yet paid the tax.

Typically the dealer wont run to the DLT everytime a vehicle is sold, it takes time.

They will typically go to the DLT once a month (or so) and sort multiple new vhicle sales at the same time..

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Nice little Fiesta here Sheryl....https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1175649-2012-ford-fiesta-15-s-auto-hatch/

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

Of course you need this, it's called หนังสือรับรองหลักฐานการส่งบัญชีรับและจำหน่ายรถ

And thsi is nto provided at the time of sale?

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And thsi is nto provided at the time of sale?

To my understanding (which is based on being a buyer and asking the people at dealerships about the process) the dealer only gets this document after he has paid the head office for the car (and probably even then just with some delay, because the head office has to pay taxes and get it stamped and signed by the respective government authority).

If he ordered this car for you, he has a month or two to pay for this car, and he prefers to wait as long as possible to actually pay the head office.

If the car was sitting in the showroom for a while (maybe he had to pay the head office already), he could be in possession of this document at the time of sale.

Ask your dealer about when he will have this document. If he tells you "next week i have this document", you better insist on writing a clause in the sales contract like "if the document isn't there after next week the seller pays 1000 baht per day delay". If he refuses to write this in the contract, you know that it won't be there next week.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 7:18 AM, dsj said:

I don't know why they can't give you your regular plates right away. In British Columbia, Canada as soon as you buy a car new/used you can go straight away to an agent and get your permanent plates. Also you can chose what ever plates the agent have available.

it's a meaningless, overly complex, convoluted process here, but so is everything to do with documentation and government departments. One of life's little frustrations here. I have ceased to ask "why", I just ask "what do I have to do" and "can I get someone else to do it for me". 

• Like 1