Red Plates

Sheryl

Honda Bangkok, gave me the book with red plates and told us to write that we were going home to Phuket in the book. Got fined B500 near  Bangkok for not having the book up to date. 

I have a Hiso neighbor who has had red plates on her Mercedes SUV for 2 years, doesn't want people to know it's old.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

To my understanding (which is based on being a buyer and asking the people at dealerships about the process) the dealer only gets this document after he has paid the head office for the car (and probably even then just with some delay, because the head office has to pay taxes and get it stamped and signed by the respective government authority).

If he ordered this car for you, he has a month or two to pay for this car, and he prefers to wait as long as possible to actually pay the head office.

If the car was sitting in the showroom for a while (maybe he had to pay the head office already), he could be in possession of this document at the time of sale.

Ask your dealer about when he will have this document. If he tells you "next week i have this document", you better insist on writing a clause in the sales contract like "if the document isn't there after next week the seller pays 1000 baht per day delay". If he refuses to write this in the contract, you know that it won't be there next week.

Thanks for this. Very different from what many other posters have said but matches what several different dealers have told me.

As I am buying a manual transmission it is unlikely to be in any show room.

Is it correct that dealer can delay up to 2 months in paying HQ for the car? 

Once HQ is paid is there any deadline by which they have to pay the government tax?

I don't really see how I can be assurred of getting the plates within 30 days as required by law...it is sounding more like 2-3 months during most of which it  would not be legal to drive the car.

Insane system.

55 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Thanks for this. Very different from what many other posters have said but matches what several different dealers have told me.

As I am buying a manual transmission it is unlikely to be in any show room.

Once HQ is paid is there any deadline by which they have to pay the government tax?

I don't really see how I can be assurred of getting the plates within 30 days as required by law...it is sounding more like 2-3 months during most of which it  would not be legal to drive the car.

Insane system.

If you do not get your plates in 30 days you go to LTO and ask for a police waiver printout. The law is 30 days on reds..

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

From my personal experience, they have to pay within one or two months without having to pay any interest, this does of course depend on the dealership's contract with the head office and might vary. In theory they could pay even later, but this probably doesn't make sense for them, due to the interest which they would have to pay.

When i bought my motorbike at Triumph, i asked them about this whole process, the manager at the dealership told me they get two months interest free, so after this they pay the head office. Because my bike was standing in the showroom for more than two months, they had paid for it already (for some reason the documents were still at the head office, but it took them just a day or two until they arrived at the dealer by mail)

When i bought a Honda, i was told it takes 1-2 months to get my plates (got them after about 6 weeks), so i guess they also have either one or two months to pay the head office.

Any other brand selling vehicles in Thailand probably has a quite similar procedure.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I don't know any details about the processing at the head office, so far never met somebody who works at a head office.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I've been stopped on different bikes without license plates (usually bikes don't get red license plates), upon telling them that it's a new bike and that the registration just isn't done yet i was waved on. If the car looks new, and not like you run it with red license plates since a year, i guess it will be the same, they are aware that it often takes longer than a month until the buyer has the plates.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Rawairat said:

I have a Hiso neighbor who has had red plates on her Mercedes SUV for 2 years, doesn't want people to know it's old.

Thais just love their red plates. Seen more than ever recently. Mostly driven by inconsiderate myopic morons.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If you are willing to run around you can get new plates and register your vehicle in a day.

The Dealers get the car on floor plan. So they dont have to pay for the car90 days to the factory. So they dont report the sale so they dont have to pay for vehicle straight away. This is how they generate cash flow.

I have purchased 3 cars 2 motorcycle.  And registered myself .

5 hours ago, willr said:

If you are willing to run around you can get new plates and register your vehicle in a day.

The Dealers get the car on floor plan. So they dont have to pay for the car90 days to the factory. So they dont report the sale so they dont have to pay for vehicle straight away. This is how they generate cash flow.

I have purchased 3 cars 2 motorcycle.  And registered myself .

You can only register it yourself if you have the proof of sale and tax payment from the dealer...and this is what takes 1-2 months to get. Without this document, impossible to register it yourself.