Waiting, Paying or Leaving? What are you planning to do?

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You only forget that the typical longstayers here will all think like that, as it always is at embassies or at immigration (last minute all come), you might have a hard time getting papers and tickets in time. If im not wrong there is like 50K ppl that leave soon. And being late means blacklist.

VERY TRUE, and perhaps I should consider maybe starting to book things from now just to avoid any issues. 

• Like 2

i fessed up as well, i didnt know that with my passport expire within a year,

i cant make another extension based on retirement.

my plan is to use the amnesty thing to cover the couple of weeks it takes to get a new passport,

and hope the agent sort out the rest

• Like 1

Just now, Logosone said:

Why can you not apply for another ED Visa?

I'm study on a "Non-Formal" School not on an University. I get a 1 Year Visa and after the year I have to leave the country to get a new one. (by making a border run and then to get a new ED Visa inside Thailand or at a Thai embassy in a different country) . I even can't extend my ED Visa.  

1 minute ago, scammed said:

i fessed up as well, i didnt know that with my passport expire within a year,

i cant make another extension based on retirement.

my plan is to use the amnesty thing to cover the couple of weeks it takes to get a new passport,

and hope the agent sort out the rest

You can apply for the one year extension but it will only be valid to the day your passport expires. There is no requirement to have a full year to apply for it

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, bestie said:

That's true. Maybe I had hope that everything would go back to a "normal" way. Maybe I had hope that they will come up with a solution for people like me. But it seems like that I will waste my time on hope. I will go to my school next week and have a chat with them. Thank you 

That hope should be thrown out the door. I paid up for that reason, most likely been takings risks as you do if I didn't have a child. The fact that I need to do so while taking care of a Thai minor should tell you, not having that, even more than enough... 

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the one year extension but it will only be valid to the day your passport expires. There is no requirement to have a full year to apply for it

yes, the agent suggested it, but that would mean paying two times for one year,

now i only hope things works out ok with the amnesty thing and from there the usual extension without any complication.

when does amnesty run out ? i figure it takes 2 weeks from today before i got a new passport

29 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

You only forget that the typical longstayers here will all think like that, as it always is at embassies or at immigration (last minute all come), you might have a hard time getting papers and tickets in time. If im not wrong there is like 50K ppl that leave soon. And being late means blacklist.

There would be no ban from entering the country until a person had overstayed for more than 90 days unless caught with the overstay.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

There would be no ban from entering the country until a person had overstayed for more than 90 days unless caught with the overstay.

As far I have understood amnesty counts as overstay dates from the date it expires and no additional 90 days are given. Banks also call it overstay and require a paper from immi to do business meanwhile.

10 minutes ago, bestie said:

I'm study on a "Non-Formal" School not on an University. I get a 1 Year Visa and after the year I have to leave the country to get a new one. (by making a border run and then to get a new ED Visa inside Thailand or at a Thai embassy in a different country) . I even can't extend my ED Visa.  

I don't mean extension, but yes you do have to leave the country to apply again. 

But there is an amnesty until 26th September. And Bali for instance is scheduled to open in September. Or you could now go to Taiwan for "medical" reasons, or put a 3000 USD deposit to enter Cambodia. Then apply for the ED Visa in a Thai consulate or embassy there, could you not? 

Presumably in late September many places will be open again. You could sit it out for a few months in another country and then apply again for a new ED visa, could you not?

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't mean extension, but yes you do have to leave the country to apply again. 

But there is an amnesty until 26th September. And Bali for instance is scheduled to open in September. Or you could now go to Taiwan for "medical" reasons, or put a 3000 USD deposit to enter Cambodia. Then apply for the ED Visa in a Thai consulate or embassy there, could you not? 

Presumably in late September many places will be open again. You could sit it out for a few months in another country and then apply again for a new ED visa, could you not?

I think currently it isn't very sure if countries are really open up again especially when countries are in the second wave of covid. It goes like click and you locked up again. Staying in a place even if Covid comes one day to Thailand like in other countries, seems better then traveling around, spend all my money and hoping to enter one day again. Which is very unsure. And I say to myself if I would leave Thailand I wouldn't come back. So yes it is an option. But the Agent route seems much cheaper.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

As far I have understood amnesty counts as overstay dates from the date it expires and no additional 90 days are given. Banks also call it overstay and require a paper from immi to do business meanwhile.

There is not a overstay now.

If you stayed beyond September 26th it would then be an overstay. It certainly will not be retroactive to March 26th when the amnesty started.

The amnesty is a automatic extension of your stay. Not having a valid permit to stay date creates a problem with banks and others.

Several off topic and baiting posts plus the expected replies to them have been removed.

It it keeps up this topic will have a very short lifespan.

Edit: A reminder this is a serious forum that people come to for help. There is no room for jokes and other nonsense.

No further notice will given when posts are removed.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

Early Dec 2020.  4 relatively good years in LOS.  I can stay until Feb 2021(Non OA obtained in early 2020) but the “Tea Leaves” tell me as a Foreigner it might be best to go back and see if the world can back to some sense of normal.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, bestie said:

I think currently it isn't very sure if countries are really open up again especially when countries are in the second wave of covid. It goes like click and you locked up again. Staying in a place even if Covid comes one day to Thailand like in other countries, seems better then traveling around, spend all my money and hoping to enter one day again. Which is very unsure. And I say to myself if I would leave Thailand I wouldn't come back. So yes it is an option. But the Agent route seems much cheaper.

It's completely up to you of course but I understand Bali is open for tourists as of today.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/travel/2020/07/29/bali-to-reopen-for-domestic-tourists-on-friday.html

In case you think applying for another ED visa is something you want to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

t's completely up to you of course but I understand Bali is open for tourists as of today.

Only for domestic tourist is what it says. Even your link says that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's completely up to you of course but I understand Bali is open for tourists as of today.

https://www.thejakartapost.com/travel/2020/07/29/bali-to-reopen-for-domestic-tourists-on-friday.html

In case you think applying for another ED visa is something you want to do.

Thank you for your help but like ubonjoe said only for domestic tourists and quoted from the article: 

However, he said he was not sure that the plan to reopen the border for international tourists could be executed on Sep 11.

1 hour ago, bestie said:

Thank you. I'm impressed that you can wait so long. For my nerves it would be better if I could solve it out now. That's isn't very healthy for me. I guess direct after I went to the agent they will come up with an official solution. ????

"Staying in a place even if Covid comes one day to Thailand like in other countries, seems better then traveling around,"

I guess the 14 days quarantine will stay for a while, so I wouldn't worry so much about a second wave here. And imo, there hasn't been a first wave. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bestie said:

Thank you for your help but like ubonjoe said only for domestic tourists and quoted from the article: 

However, he said he was not sure that the plan to reopen the border for international tourists could be executed on Sep 11.

Yah, but if you go to Bali on 11 September and arrange the application with the Thai consulate and get a new ED visa, problem solved.

1 hour ago, finy said:

I already know Turkey, Ukraine, and probably Georgia will be open and pretty cheap to stay.

Maybe Bali, Nepal, and Sri Lanka too.

So I'm sure I'll get somewhere to ride this thing out for longer.

But in September there should be a more definitive list.

Must be exciting to lead such a thrilling life, is there no place you can go back 'home' to?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

That's what I heard from visa agent as well.

However...

Will amnesty be counted as overstay in case you apply for a 7 days extension starting from 26th September.

You would then overstay the extension not amnesty...

Edited by kd2000