Best alternatives to stay after September 26

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Did they tell you if they will keep your passport the entire time the visa is being processed (several weeks)? A friend of mine asked an agent in Pattaya and that's what they told him.

That would be a no-go for me in Thailand, being without my passport for weeks. I had always thought you get an under consideration stamp and then come back to have your visa or extension stamped into your passport.

I think they keep the passport all the process. I will tell you, I'm thinking to go there the next week.

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Seems like a risky strategy to me.  What are you going to say if you are stopped by a random police or immigration officer and asked about your volunteer work that you are not actually doing?

I assume random checks by police looking for foreigners overstaying will be common after the sept 26 deadline.

I don't know if it's risky or no, but it's the only way, volunteer visa or overstay. I asked for an student visa and they told me I can't get it within Thailand, is that true? I have the answer or one school. Has anyone got an student visa paying an extra within Thailand?

Edited by jonga80
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Thai Airways has gone bankrupt so it is not a good indication of anything.

There are other airlines flying out of Bangkok. 

I arrived into BKK yesterday morning on VietJet domestic. There were many dozens of THAI planes parked up on taxi ways, at terminal and remote stands. B777/B787/A380/B747s. Many of them looked like they were museum pieces. The only international planes there at the time were China Eastern and Qatar. 

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

From reading similar offers, 25,000 baht seems to be the price of the initial Non-O visa issued by immigration, for someone who entered Thailand as a tourist. Good for 3 months only, can be extended but that costs extra.

Strange....! ???? mine never cost me more than 1900 baht + 200 bath for bank letter …..  get even 0.50 % interest on my 800K on Thai bank , paid each 6 month's ,….and ext. for 12 month's valid ...????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jonga80 said:

I asked for an student visa and they told me I can't get it within Thailand, is that true? I have the answer or one school. Has anyone got an student visa paying an extra within Thailand?

That’s not true.  You can get a student visa without leaving the country.  If you are serious about studying Thai language, many language schools can arrange this.  I am in the process of doing this now.  Ask any language school in your area.  Its not hard to find one that can arrange this if you try.  

@ubonjoe or anyone else with ideas

Dear all,

As many are, I'm looking for a way to stay in Thailand beyond September 26. 

I am currently residing in Thailand on an METV visa that will expire on September 15, just before the end of the current Visa Amnesty period. I would like to continue my stay in Thailand, as my partner teaches at a university here.

I have been offered a job teaching English at a local school, but am unable to change my Tourist Visa to a Work Visa, given that I would have to leave the country to do so, and most borders are currently closed. 

Is there any way for me to change visa in-country? 

Or is it possible to extend my tourist visa when amnesty ends? 

Or could I convert my Tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa, given the valid work permit of my partner? 

Thank you, in advance, for any ideas! 

18 minutes ago, GLouiseCooper said:

I have been offered a job teaching English at a local school, but am unable to change my Tourist Visa to a Work Visa, given that I would have to leave the country to do so, and most borders are currently closed. 

Did you apply for the 30 day extension of the 60 day entry from you tourist visa? If not immigration may allow you to apply for it and the a   90 day non immigrant visa (category B) at immigration.

Or you may be able to apply for the visa if immigration considers your "automatic extension" under the amnesty as a extension of your original entry. Or if you got a letter from embassy requesting a 30 day special extension immigration might accept that extension to apply.

Requirements for the visa application is here. http://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/02.pdf

29 minutes ago, GLouiseCooper said:

Or is it possible to extend my tourist visa when amnesty ends? 

A 30 day special extension as I mentioned before is possible.

30 minutes ago, GLouiseCooper said:

Or could I convert my Tourist visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa, given the valid work permit of my partner? 

Maybe if you are married to your partner. 

3 hours ago, david555 said:

Strange....! ???? mine never cost me more than 1900 baht

Strange....! Because the Non O is 2,000 baht.

+ 200 bath for bank letter

How much was each bath though, sounds overpriced to me.

get even 0.50 % interest on my 800K on Thai bank

Get even 1.5% interest if you put it in a Fixed Term account.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Title was about the best alternative to stay Thailand ....and that is the 800/400K  methode ....turn like you wish ...of course must have the 800k 400 k.....

About investment ...that is another story to many different ones ...but with risks

Fix account yes ..but i dont like hassle or discussions with I.o. depending their view on them ....also i like my full control on my money ...even on my wester n accounts 

I never had the feeling i lost my 800k in 8 years that ret.ext. system ...hoever they limited . but can still use half of it during 7 months....

My extension on that ...eg. the ret.ext. costs 1900 baht ...

The non o is already a very long history for me , i had only 1  and still extending it year by year..

Most relaxed way to stay Thailand and done in a flash if your doc. are correct . Jomtien immigr. Desk 8 are champions in handling speed last years for them , most easy way for them ..

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

Anybody know what the going rate for extending a Non O visa based on marriage for 12 months through an agent is these days?...I was quoted 40,000 bht+ from couple agents in Pattaya a few year ago. It might be a last resort for me as cant come up with the 400k requirement. 

I will give the 40k monthly income for 2 month a try and hope IO accepts it. If not and if the boarders don't open in the next couple months, its agent time.

Edited by nightfox
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, nightfox said:

Anybody know what the going rate for extending a Non O visa based on marriage for 12 months through an agent is these days?...I was quoted 40,000 bht+ from couple agents in Pattaya a few year ago. It might be a last resort for me as cant come up with the 400k requirement. 

I will give the 40k monthly income for 2 month a try and hope IO accepts it. If not and if the boarders don't open in the next couple months, its agent time.

If you are aged over 50, and intending to use an agent to circumvent the financials anyway, go for a retirement extension instead. This is much cheaper. The trouble with the marriage extension is that the application is scrutinised at the regional level, which means more palms need to be greased.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That’s not true.  You can get a student visa without leaving the country.  If you are serious about studying Thai language, many language schools can arrange this.  I am in the process of doing this now.  Ask any language school in your area.  Its not hard to find one that can arrange this if you try.  

Can you recommend me some school? The problem for me is that in december I need to go out, and the courses I think are 6-12 months.

8 hours ago, jonga80 said:

Can you recommend me some school? The problem for me is that in december I need to go out, and the courses I think are 6-12 months.

I don’t really know which schools are good or bad because I am just applying for my visa now, so I won’t make a specific recommendation.  Call or email a few schools, it is not hard to find one that can arrange a visa.  

I have also found that most schools will ask for a one year commitment, so this might be an expensive solution if you want to leave in December.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nightfox said:

exact same boat as you.

trying the 40k for 2 months method. if that does not work when i go apply at end of month im then screwed.

14 hours ago, scoupeo said:

the only smart method is wait and do nothing until they extend again ! hard to guess, right ?

And I guess you must have a go back in time machine , if needed to do something you should have done 2 months before expiring date ? …...depending how the I.O.'s go interpret the new grace / amnesty ext. individually  

Your only smart method is jus a gambling method ..... but you could be a winner …..or a looser ...just like in any gambling 

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

If the borders are still closed after 26 Sept, then the only way to stay in Thailand will be if you already have a Non B/O visa.  No one believes the borders for Thai Embassy will open any time soon. I already saw a statement from the US Embassy stating they will not be issuing any letters for an extension.

Edited by acenase

I have heard some offers that for few tens of thousands of Bahts you will get a new Visa inside Thailand but how does that work if you go out next year and there is an used new visa in the passport without going out...

3 hours ago, Timwin said:

I have heard some offers that for few tens of thousands of Bahts you will get a new Visa inside Thailand but how does that work if you go out next year and there is an used new visa in the passport without going out...

There is a mechanism for getting a Non Immigrant visa from immigration in Thailand, under some circumstances, which is immediately used to give you a 90-day permission to stay. It is sometimes possible without the services of an agent. An agent is not infrequently needed to smooth the way when, for some reason, you cannot 100% satisfy the official rules for the granting of the visa.

13 hours ago, Timwin said:

The only visas you can apply for inside Thailand is a non immigrant visa if you qualify for certain extensions of stay. They can only be applied for if you are on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. As soon as the visa stamp is put in your passport they do a 90 day entry stamp and the visa is stamped as used.

Or you can apply for Thai Elite membership and get a PE visa sticker purt in it at immigration and do a one year entry stamp;.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 9:45 PM, EricTh said:

Paying 25,000 baht is much easier than putting 800k in a Thai bank or take a one year Thai course.

But not easier than paying 12500-15000 to an agent I suppose if one qualifies for the 800k Retirement Ext.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

But not easier than paying 12500-15000 to an agent I suppose if one qualifies for the 800k Retirement Ext.

Is that agent fee for those who have put the 800k in the bank, or those who want to get it without putting money in bank?

22 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Is that agent fee for those who have put the 800k in the bank, or those who want to get it without putting money in bank?

The latter unless one is being taken advantage of.

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Get the visa without putting any money in the bank.

The money goes into the pocket of the agent and the immigration officer. Is it 50-50 or 90-10 split? lol

But if the higher up finds out, these visas are going to be invalidated.

I think that was what happened when Big Jok stepped in.

Edited by EricTh

What are guys on retirement visa extensions that expired doing to continue living in Thailand once the Amnesty is over?  If your retirement visa extension expired from March-Now and you needed to go to Thai Embassy to renew but now stuck in Thailand and can’t leave the country, how do you get a new Non O-A without overstay after Amnesty is up?

Edited by acenase

7 minutes ago, acenase said:

What are guys on retirement visa extensions that expired doing to continue living in Thailand once the Amnesty is over?  If your retirement visa extension expired from March-Now and you needed to go to Thai Embassy to renew but now stuck in Thailand and can’t leave the country, how do you get a new Non O-A without overstay after Amnesty is up?

Who or what is stopping you leaving the Country?

5 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

You normally pay when you don't meet the requirements. I haven't heard about more than 25,000 baht (maybe someone knows), but that means you aren't close to meet the financial requirements. Maybe up to 19,000 baht goes straight to immigration. If people just need help,because they haven't got a clue how to do it, you just pay a fee to the agent. I know people who pays for having a TM30 report done, and that's easy, and even pay a small fee for the 90 days report which is free. Go figure. 

Edited by Max69xl

38 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Get the visa without putting any money in the bank.

The money goes into the pocket of the agent and the immigration officer. Is it 50-50 or 90-10 split? lol

But if the higher up finds out, these visas are going to be invalidated.

I think that was what happened when Big Jok stepped in.

Every officer, even boss's at immigration offices knows about the money paid for extensions. It's never 50/50 more like 70/30 in immigrations favour. I was once offered 15 months for 19k, but I prefer paying 1900 baht/year and I even get a receipt.