Best alternatives to stay after September 26

36 minutes ago, acenase said:

What are guys on retirement visa extensions that expired doing to continue living in Thailand once the Amnesty is over?  If your retirement visa extension expired from March-Now and you needed to go to Thai Embassy to renew but now stuck in Thailand and can’t leave the country, how do you get a new Non O-A without overstay after Amnesty is up?

Expats on 1 year retirement/marriage extensions should have done them as usual. They are not stranded in Thailand and not affected by the coronavirus. If they didn't do them, then who's to blame? If they must leave, then grab a flight back home. People on 90 days Non-O ME is another story and they might have problems if they can't do border runs or extend the stay at the local immigration office. 

• Like 1

Best anyone can do is prepare for the worst but I have heard this amnesty is live until everything is back to normal. Heard it today as a guy was crying to IO and the IO was not happy with the amount in the office and just said the truth. It was a shocker but anyone who was there today knows she was telling the truth. She said if you cannot handle the truth stay and we will do it the other way and give you assurance you need. (Tea money way) couple of guys stayed. Mugs

• Haha 1

But if the higher up finds out, these visas are going to be invalidated.

I think that was what happened when Big Jok stepped in.

higher up are part of the scheme and nobody will stepped, i know you wanted to be true but it will never happen and never will

800k in the bank, its all depend on if they wanted to see it or not, if they chose to ignore it there's nothing anybody can do about it, your application will be stacking on a dark room somewhere and will never see the light of day.

Edited by clorox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Expats on 1 year retirement/marriage extensions should have done them as usual. They are not stranded in Thailand and not affected by the coronavirus. If they didn't do them, then who's to blame? If they must leave, then grab a flight back home. People on 90 days Non-O ME is another story and they might have problems if they can't do border runs or extend the stay at the local immigration office. 

If you got a 1 year extension last year that expires July/August 2020, you wouldn’t of thought to go to a Thai Embassy to get a new visa back in March before the borders shut down. So if their visas expired around this time, none of them would have predicted the borders would be shut down for this long

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, EricTh said:

Get the visa without putting any money in the bank.

The money goes into the pocket of the agent and the immigration officer. Is it 50-50 or 90-10 split? lol

But if the higher up finds out, these visas are going to be invalidated.

I think that was what happened when Big Jok stepped in.

Fear mongering..... 

Firstly I believe the split is mostly to the IO, as the feedback was from an agent once, if they are to believed!

The Extensions obtained are signed off and have been around a long time and are many..... I suspect the higher ups see their cut and are aware. Only negatives I have heard were of a Katoey agent having a hissy fit with his boyfriend at Imm and retaining passports to make problems. 

People have been taking their chances for a long time.... that said, I don't use one as I find it unnecessary and it is expensive... but certainly would consider it if there was not an alternative. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acenase said:

If you got a 1 year extension last year that expires July/August 2020, you wouldn’t of thought to go to a Thai Embassy to get a new visa back in March before the borders shut down. So if their visas expired around this time, none of them would have predicted the borders would be shut down for this long

If you got a 1 year extension last year, then you just renew it again this year.

A Visa allows entry and your granted permission of stay by the entry clearance Immigration officer.

You then extend that permission of stay. (extension)

My one time 'Visa' to enter the Country expired several years ago, but I've been extending my permission of stay from that entry.

in the new world we are living in and the future we are staring at i think these sort of posts will become quite rare. forget the writing on the wall and look at the stark reality smacking ALL of us in the face. 

i just received my first extension on marriage. i am 43. odds are i will not be able to remain here for the rest of my days. i'm pretty certain of that. i am able to meet the current requirements $$ for marriage or retirement visa...for now. 10 or 20 years from now...who knows. i am no fool (debatable) and have already started to plan my future knowing that at any time my stay here can be cut off almost instantly. 

with no end in sight for the wuwu the visa game has changed. to be blunt. if you can't meet requirements or pay for them your time is up.  time to move on and plan for the difficult road no matter where you are staying. 

the pandemic was only the beginning. the real pain is going to be much worse. 

good luck everyone. 

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

with no end in sight for the wuwu the visa game has changed. to be blunt. if you can't meet requirements or pay for them your time is up.  time to move on and plan for the difficult road no matter where you are staying. 

The financial requirements to stay in Thailand haven't changed since at least 2007.

More elderly with medical issues die of complications from 'Influenza' every month than from the WuWu as you put it. We've leaned to live with influenza and will do so with WuWu once a vaccine is available.

• Like 1

Good afternoon all.

Just an interesting note. A good friend of mine, in the same position as me, ( a border bouncer) went to Immigration and Kap Cheung, Surin province yesterday as he wanted to know best way to proceed. He was told by the head there, and i quote!! "don't worry!! The government will sort it out so you have no need to worry about visa then" on the 26th

So, it really is a case of who the hell knows, when the head honcho say not to worry. it will all be sorted, and no need to do anything.

Edited by PrasatKeith
missed word

2 minutes ago, PrasatKeith said:

So, it really is a case of who the hell knows, when the head honcho say not to worry. it will all be sorted, and no need to do anything

Rule #1 : Never listen to immigration.

BTW if your doing border bounces, I would certainly have a plan B in place. 

Gambling on another extension of amnesty or borders being open would do my head in. One problem is they announce the decision on amnesty late. 

In addition we don't know what will re-enter requirements will be even if borders open. 

Also to consider is will visa exempt be available. It may be suspended. 

Think Vietnam will when they eventually open.

I have my 60 days extension to use so, then have that to sort another 1 year out. But i agree. Not sensible to rely on Immigration at all. Just letting all know of the laugh such as it is this situation gave me yesterday.

Oh and according to my friend thats exactly how it went down. The immigration man laughed and to,d him 'go home' , then the rest of what i said in the previous post

I'm going to post this in every one of these threads.

When I was a kid in the early 90's, this ad campaign with the "Miami Vice" Edward James Olmos stuck with me. He told me I had to Reach For The Power and TEACH! And so I did.

Walk into any school right now, they're all dying for teachers. They'll want you to start immediately and get started on your Non-B. Somebody did this just last week at my school. We have at least three openings, as the higher level intl schools and their higher salaries are swiping our teachers.

Stop worrying about your visa and get off your barstool. Reach for the power.

IMG-92e2895bc04e9ccb6a61db5729c42a6e-V.jpg

17 hours ago, PrasatKeith said:

Good afternoon all.

Just an interesting note. A good friend of mine, in the same position as me, ( a border bouncer) went to Immigration and Kap Cheung, Surin province yesterday as he wanted to know best way to proceed. He was told by the head there, and i quote!! "don't worry!! The government will sort it out so you have no need to worry about visa then" on the 26th

So, it really is a case of who the hell knows, when the head honcho say not to worry. it will all be sorted, and no need to do anything.

Officials in Thailand can be very convincing, but I recommend being very careful about taking their advice. It is you, not them, who must bear the consequences if you act on their bad advice. While anything is still possible, I believe those at the top of immigration are overwhelmingly of the opinion that those who entered Thailand for short visits as tourists should be gone. I could be wrong about that, or immigration could be overruled. However, I would be operating on the assumption that Immigration's announcements on tourists having to leave are not just scaremongering, but a reliable indication of planned enforcement.

• Like 2

No agent crack down is going to happen.  In fact, I bet just the opposite.  The IO "bonuses" throughout the entire system are way way down now.  I see more encouraged agent business and minimum scrutiny of these agent related processes in the future months.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

No agent crack down is going to happen.  In fact, I bet just the opposite.  The IO "bonuses" throughout the entire system are way way down now.  I see more encouraged agent business and minimum scrutiny of these agent related processes in the future months.

"No agent crack down is going to happen."

looking at today's news they have a funny way of showing it

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Imo, it's the agent who gets the bonus. Immigration takes the biggest part. 

Lots got stung by agents before the last amnesty. Pressured into getting a visa a month or more before the due date and then of course another amnesty extension announced and 25k down the drain, rinse and repeat.

7 hours ago, Jim P said:

Lots got stung by agents before the last amnesty. Pressured into getting a visa a month or more before the due date and then of course another amnesty extension announced and 25k down the drain, rinse and repeat.

They voluntarily pursued an extension that ultimately was redundednt as an amnesty was announced. But I doubt the agents knew there would be an amnesty before anyone else........oh hang on, this is Thailand, someone would tell them if there was a benefit! The agents likely recognised a pressure situation and prices reflected that, immigration too.