Some important lessons on DHL and import duty calculations

essander

Thailand only uses fob so if the invoice is cif you will get the estimated 590 per kg. The thing with dhl and FedEx is there is almost no estimates so if the seller puts a price thats what youll pay on. As above shipping should be added on a separate line on the invoice. These to companies are great if you are filling out the Bl and invoice 

I recently sent shampoo and conditioner, again, to a daughter in the UK ( particular brand suitable for her hair not available in UK ).
Total value of goods 2100 baht, total DHL charges 6,646 baht + VAT 7% = 14baht, total charge 6,660.

My daughter had to pay 680 import duty.

In the past goods were held up in UK customs and she was charged duty on clothes sent from Thailand.

In the long run still cheaper than importing in the UK through Amazon etc.    One bottle of shampoo here 84 baht, companies such as Amazon and eBay charge between 800 and 1,600 baht.

• Haha 1

I have used such services on 2 or 3 occasions a few years back.   As I recall, deliveries were effected by FedEx and Kerry.

My experience has been that an estimated duty is calculated and charged for, before shipment.   On arrival, the actual duty was calculated and any excess deducted initially was refunded, and quickly too.

A scam I have experienced from both DHL and Fedex in Philippines, but I presume is not restricted to there, is that they will raise a non existent issue then drag their feet in resolving it, all the while racking up storage charges for you to pay before they release your goods. 

Once in a while I order items from Amazon.com. I like their setup for shipments to Thailand. In all the cases of items shipped by Amazon they used UPS. When the customer orders he is quoted the price, shipping and estimated import duties in Thailand. That works out pretty well, no surprises when you receive the package.

On July 23 I pre-ordered something which is hard to get here or only much, much smaller: a rebounder net which we would like to use for our daughter's tennis practice at home as we live out in the sticks with the nearest tennis courts 75 km away. The item is not sent by Amazon but by the seller himself. After an inquiry the seller revealed that he uses "most probably" DHL. I then asked to ship via UPS as DHL always overcharges in Thailand, but he said UPS is not an option. He said the only options are DHL and FedEx. Finally we settled on FedEx. The item was finally shipped last night via YODEL. ????? What the hxxx is Yodel, never heard of it? It seems to be a carrier located in the UK as the sellers factories are apparently located in Wales.

By the way, I paid $89.99 for the item and #21.89 for shipping. Total I paid = $111.88. I am pretty sure that I will be fleeced at maximum once the package passes Royal Thai Customs. I will post an update.

A178BpeHPjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Dario

10 minutes ago, Dario said:

Once in a while I order items from Amazon.com. I like their setup for shipments to Thailand. In all the cases of items shipped by Amazon they used UPS. When the customer orders he is quoted the price, shipping and estimated import duties in Thailand. That works out pretty well, no surprises when you receive the package.

On July 23 I pre-ordered something which is hard to get here or only much, much smaller: a rebounder net which we would like to use for our daughter's tennis practice at home as we live out in the sticks with the nearest tennis courts 75 km away. The item is not sent by Amazon but by the seller himself. After an inquiry the seller revealed that he uses "most probably" DHL. I then asked to ship via UPS as DHL always overcharges in Thailand, but he said UPS is not an option. He said the only options are DHL and FedEx. Finally we settled on FedEx. The item was finally shipped last night via YODEL. ????? What the hxxx is Yodel, never heard of it? It seems to be a carrier located in the UK as the sellers factories are apparently located in Wales.

By the way, I paid $89.99 for the item and #21.89 for shipping. Total I paid = $111.88. I am pretty sure that I will be fleeced at maximum once the package passes Royal Thai Customs. I will post an update.

A178BpeHPjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yodel - They are a broker service who use all sorts of 'low cost' delivery services .... It will be interesting to see who they will use to delivery to you in Thailand - i.e. they may use one service out of the export country - and another service - To deliver (and clear customs)  ...

I just went through the same experience with DHL ordering a camera case from Germany. The problem is the local agent. These international companies must have a representative in every country and here it must be a Thai owned company who gouge for as much as they can and the parent companies are powerless to do anything about it. Local businesses use their own agencies for clearing and avoid DHL and UPS like the plague. Everyone else should do the same.

• Like 2

I was living in CM and DHL insisted that I travel to the airport in Bangkok or mail them my passport.  I did neither but the item was very inexpensive.

I have had great luck with Amazon.  They pre-charge a customs fee on any order.  However, a few weeks later they will refund any excess.  I did this multiple times.

• Like 2

I agree DHL is normally horrendous but

recently bought a radio controlled sailboat from germany  they use Deutsche post which is DHL ( this end handled by Thaipost)

Actual cost invoice was 2800 Euro

Amended invoice for customs was 580 Euro including shipping

went to collect from customs guy said big  parcel how much did you pay ...me..300 euro including shipping

customs gave me bill for 1600 THb which i gratefully accepted and paid then RAN off pretty quick

PS invoice was  attached on parcel but not opened

Edited by poohy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so far have shipped 10 large boxes (surface mail) from china using china post.  each box 12-15kg.

first four to chiang mai poste restante, the other six to my address in bangkok.  all but one in bangkok required pickup at the local post office.  none were opened by customs, no additional fees were charged.

3 hours ago, FarangRimPing said:

I've used DHL a couple of times for sending packages from the US to Thailand. EVERY time, I have been hit with huge duties.

I've used FedEx several times, and have always paid reasonable duties... maybe 10% of the value.

I've used USPS (United States Postal Service) once, and paid tiny customs duty, collected at the Post Office in Thailand.

I will use USPS from now on until I have a bad experience.

Normal customs charge 30% of invoice. I doubt you paid 10%, especially using Fedex.  EMS, the same. Airmail, nada. Go figure, I can't. Don't want to even consider paying 30% or more on anything.

Carriers are charging extra fees these days....

this was from a friend that is a warehouse manager in UK...

Hi guys

We really need to discuss the options for all goods going to and from affected Corono virus areas.

Shipping costs to China especially have almost tripled with long clearance and transport delays.

Other areas, i.e. Italy, are also now facing exclusions.

I have also received warnings regarding “sealed air” products (bubble wrap etc.) from these countries.

Never use DHL anymore, once I ordered my Apple desktopcomputer at Apple on there website.

It looks like it comes from Singapore.

They send it by DHL, but they don't bring it to home!

Thai postoffice gives me an call it was arrived at there office 25km from my home and they refuse to bring because it was more then 20 kg.

In my opinium DHL was wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peterphuket said:

Never use DHL anymore, once I ordered my Apple desktopcomputer at Apple on there website.

It looks like it comes from Singapore.

They send it by DHL, but they don't bring it to home!

Thai postoffice gives me an call it was arrived at there office 25km from my home and they refuse to bring because it was more then 20 kg.

In my opinium DHL was wrong.

Both Pattaya and Bangkok customs are miles away. Much better to pay a bit more for stuff on lazada with all duties calculated up front 

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Both Pattaya and Bangkok customs are miles away. Much better to pay a bit more for stuff on lazada with all duties calculated up front 

I order many things at Lazada but to order Apple items, Lazada is not the good solution.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

agree,

my experience with DHL is terrible

happy with the postal system

I learn  that several here advocates the use of the ordinary postal system, (I certainly do)

just want to share an experience;

couple of years ago a friend in UK mailed me some engine parts from UK to Nonthaburi,

using what was called Royal Mail before,

my friend had the idea that I fancied the stuff pronto so he sent it express

after the parcel arrived in LoS it took me 1 month and 2 days to get hold of it

it turned out that for ordinary shipments Royal Mail is using Thai Post as the local handler

for express shipments Royal Mail is using UPS as local handler

they didn't trick me with fees and expenses, it was a low-satang import,

but the redtape-the overhead-the complications-the time  DOUBLE GOSH

1 month and 2 says

and several looong trips to Swampy

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, nightbird said:

Normal customs charge 30% of invoice. I doubt you paid 10%, especially using Fedex.  EMS, the same. Airmail, nada. Go figure, I can't. Don't want to even consider paying 30% or more on anything.

I've used FedEx often in the past to import crypto miners from China. Always had a good experience and ended up with 10% import duty.

• Haha 1