THAI Airways cancels all international flights until 1st October

soi3eddie

Here we go again; just received email from THAI Airways cancelling my 4th September flight from BKK-LHR. I called to rebook and the agent informed me that ALL international flights with THAI Airways are cancelled until 1st October - EXCEPT for special the repatriation flights. She was helpful and said she could get me on a waitlist for any of the three August repatriation flights from BKK to LHR but I just decided to go for 1st October as I'm not in a hurry to travel. 

Of course, what this means, and we all probably guessed, is that there will be no tourist arrivals into Thailand until at least October. Probably later as many on TVF already beleive. In fact, the agent at THAI was quite chatty and I told her I didn't want to get stuck outside Thailand then she mentioned that arrivals may not even be back to normal until 2021. OMG! Will there be an option for retirement visa holders to even return before tourists are allowed back in?

image.png.adc57491cc9be0a8099992df7f92f070.png

FLIGHT CANCELLATION TG910/SEP 4, 2020

FLIGHT CANCELLATION TG910/SEP 4, 2020

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

''then she mentioned that arrivals may not even be back to normal until 2021 OMG.''

That actually surprises you??

I beleive she meant any flights until 2021 but nobody expects numbers back to pre-covid levels.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did they offer a refund?

I imagine that some are going to get stuck by this if they are unable to travel before September 26th and would thus need to pay for a one way flight with a different carrier. 

555. No but she said it can be changed for "FREE". I said too damn right it can as you cancelled the earlier flight. Depending on need to get back to London (business there) I may end up either cancelling the Thai flight and asking for a refund, trying to get them to switch me to EVA, asking to switch to one of the special repat flights or just buying a new one-way ticket with Qatar or another carrier that can fly. For now I'm happier here in Thailand.

• Like 1

I'd say soonest is 1 december . 1st october , forget about it , nrs are rising on most places around the world , and will take at least 2 months before we see significant drops again . If Thailand wants to have the tourists back , which i believe they do ( i mean economy wise ) , then december might be a option because of high season . High season would be not happening at all , but some good number of tourists might show up .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

555. No but she said it can be changed for "FREE". I said too damn right it can as you cancelled the earlier flight. Depending on need to get back to London (business there) I may end up either cancelling the Thai flight and asking for a refund, trying to get them to switch me to EVA, asking to switch to one of the special repat flights or just buying a new one-way ticket with Qatar or another carrier that can fly. For now I'm happier here in Thailand.

The problem with being rebooked for free is that the price difference between your old booking and you new booking needs to be settled first.  It could be lower but is invariably higher.  

The issue is that return flight (Lon-Bkk) I suspect as powers that be don't really want folk in. Normal service resumed? Never if they have their way, but if they have a heart, they will eventually have to bend and accept it for what it is because china flu will go on and on.

7 hours ago, torturedsole said:

The problem with being rebooked for free is that the price difference between your old booking and you new booking needs to be settled first.  It could be lower but is invariably higher.  

Yes, that is normally the case if you are re-booking out of choice rather than if an airline cancels your flight and re-books you. My experience with THAI over the years is that they have never charged me extra fare price difference for a flight change when I have been on a Flexi ticket. Sure, buying the cheapest non-flex ticket will incur charges as per ticket rules but even then THAI never charged me a higher fare other than the change fee. I have been properly ripped off with the higher fare thing by Qatar Airways when changing date though (nearly double original fare!).  

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

1594455869741.jpg.5d20489b38390836b6b73c1177da20ce.jpg

You may have to wait until October 25th for that LHR flight.

Way back in March, Thai mentioned 27th October 2020 for resumption of BKK/LHR. Do they know something about border reopening? 

That chart above is interesting. Where was it published or is it internal THAI document only?

Look at the 2021 flight resumptions. Some more than a year away!    

• Like 1

look for big announcement come near end of sept,

Amnesty ends Sept 26th and ,,,

wishful thinking,  this is the longest i have been in Thailand continuously without a trip outside in 25 years>> ???? 

38 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Way back in March, Thai mentioned 27th October 2020 for resumption of BKK/LHR. Do they know something about border reopening? 

That chart above is interesting. Where was it published or is it internal THAI document only?

Look at the 2021 flight resumptions. Some more than a year away!    

It is an internal document from the restructuring plan, but it was shared in different LINE groups.

• Thanks 1