To Outlook or not

Valentine

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

Is there a specific feature you're looking for, or reason you don't want to use a browser-based client?

Not really but Outlook for example will not save changes to my signature. Small thing but annoying. I am unable to upgrade as I think it is not legit

You originally said, "Looking for recommendations for a free email programme besides Gmail." Your question is a bit confusing because Gmail isn't a program/application (it's more a 'cloud service') and is only partially program/application based on iOS or Android devices.

Are you looking for a free EMAIL PROVIDER, an free EMAIL APPLICATION, or BOTH? And why.

I've been a Gmail user from the beginning, don't really find any big issues using the web-client interface on the laptop or the built-in mail apps on the phone and tablet. If you use Gmail but don't like using the web browser interface then many EMAIL CLIENT (software applications) can be configured to work with it.

I absolutely detest Microsoft's web-based outlook app (it locks up on me more than half the time and it ice-age slow). Microsoft Outlook (client) is primarily designed to work hand-in-hand with Microsoft's Exchange Server to allow users to quickly interact with group email, calendar, contacts. An individual user can probably use the free version of Microsoft MAIL.

Again, which way you need to go depends on what you need.

Others have mentioned Thunderbird, an email client that works with several email service providers.

• Like 1

If you been use to Outlook 2007 for many years and like Outlook but only want to upgrade because MS stopped supporting Outlook 2007 in 2017, why not just upgrade to Office 2019 which includes Outlook.  You can buy an Office 2019 license off Ebay for use a few dollars...that ain't free like you were asking for but it very low cost.   That's what I did late last year when getting another laptop.  My other two laptops are running Office 2016 which is still supported by MS till Oct 2025

Edited by Pib

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, I really don't like using browser-based email apps like Gmail and Outlook other than to quickly read and delete some short emails....and occasionally thumb-in/send a very short email of a few words using my smartphone.   

For me using MS Office, which includes Outlook, on my computer is the way to go since a person can buy licenses dirt cheap...perfectly legal licenses.  Used MS Office for much of my adult working life and now into retirement.   

Using Outlook as client software on a computer to manage/read/write email in comparison to a browser-based software on a computer or phone like Gmail and Outlook apps is like comparing a modern day car to a Model T Ford.

Same as me. I've been using MS Office for a long time. I hate webmail! I was using Office 2007 until last year, when I decided to get up to date and bought an Office 2019 Pro Plus key from eBay for GBP 4.99. IMHO Outlook 2019 is the way to go for email (if you are a Windows user). 

• Like 1

I've used Forte Agent  as my email client since 1995   lots of features , have a local offline copy of all my emails from different providers (Yahoo,Gmail etc) in one place you can write email offline,send receive to/from  Gmail,Yahoo etc when the net comes back on ( ok less of a problem now than it was in 1995)

One consistent user interface for all  email accounts...I liked it so much I actually paid them money !!!!

:shock1:   ????

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

PS  it is also a very good USENET Newsgroup reader ....good for all the errrrm  Linux ISO files..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, I really don't like using browser-based email apps like Gmail and Outlook other than to quickly read and delete some short emails....and occasionally thumb-in/send a very short email of a few words using my smartphone.   

For me using MS Office, which includes Outlook, on my computer is the way to go since a person can buy licenses dirt cheap...perfectly legal licenses.  Used MS Office for much of my adult working life and now into retirement.   

Using Outlook as client software on a computer to manage/read/write email in comparison to a browser-based software on a computer or phone like Gmail and Outlook apps is like comparing a modern day car to a Model T Ford.

Not really. Two quite different things. What about concerns of when it comes to privacy?

Google and Microsoft are hardly innocent when it comes to such things. They can likely see the contents of your emails and store them indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Same as me. I've been using MS Office for a long time. I hate webmail! I was using Office 2007 until last year, when I decided to get up to date and bought an Office 2019 Pro Plus key from eBay for GBP 4.99. IMHO Outlook 2019 is the way to go for email (if you are a Windows user). 

You paid too much! I paid £1.87. ????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

As it happens, I didn't. I got a £5 voucher from eBay for completing the transaction with a credit card, so in real terms I paid £0....LOL

Erm ok ????

But I got 5TB of OneDrive storage with mine, along with Office 2019 installation on five devices. 5TB storage on each.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Not really. Two quite different things. What about concerns of when it comes to privacy?

Google and Microsoft are hardly innocent when it comes to such things. They can likely see the contents of your emails and store them indefinitely.

Heck...any email provider/service can do that.....see your stuff/emails you are passing through them.   

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Erm ok ????

But I got 5TB of OneDrive storage with mine, along with Office 2019 installation on five devices. 5TB storage on each.

OK. That's a great deal for 5 devices. As for Onedrive, it's not something I would ever want or need to use.  I did a custom install of Office 2019 and didn't install Onedrive or Onedrive for business. I don't use a MS account to log in to Windows anyway. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

OK. That's a great deal for 5 devices. As for Onedrive, it's not something I would ever want or need to use.  I did a custom install of Office 2019 and didn't install Onedrive or Onedrive for business. I don't use a MS account to log in to Windows anyway. 

I don't use OneDrive either. But might come in handy one day. At these prices, who is going to complain?

7 hours ago, Valentine said:

Not really but Outlook for example will not save changes to my signature. Small thing but annoying. I am unable to upgrade as I think it is not legit

Outlook 2007 is now 13 years old.

How long do you intend to use it?

And since when are you not able to save your changed signature? Since forever? Because nobody removed that function from Outlook in the last 13 years.

Try this:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=outlook+cannot+save+signature

On 8/1/2020 at 11:18 AM, Valentine said:

Which version of word are you using with outlook 2007 ?  I am using Outlook 2007 and I am able to have multiple signatures and no issue with changing them 

45 minutes ago, Valentine said:
4 hours ago, rvaviator said:

Which version of word are you using with outlook 2007 ?  I am using Outlook 2007 and I am able to have multiple signatures and no issue with changing them 

All my MS are 2007

OP, what menu option are you using to edit/change the signature?

On 8/1/2020 at 6:25 AM, Pib said:

since a person can buy licenses dirt cheap...perfectly legal licenses

The licenses on Ebay are not legal.  They work, but the licenses they sell are only the registration keys. They have software to generate these keys. Every $ they get is 100% profit for them.

On 8/1/2020 at 10:03 AM, Eindhoven said:

Be very careful with the Office 365 you can buy on Ebay.  They send you keys which are a part of educational licenses, for example from a school or university. Once the find out about this they will cancel the license. And you will lose the content on Onedrive. 

Office 365 Home is cheap, about 60 Euro a year if you find a nice discount. If you care about the content you have on Onedrive I would not take the risk with a license you are not entitled to.

Edited by dimitriv

5 hours ago, Valentine said:

All my MS are 2007

I have sent you a PM - After starting a email - Go the email window - do you have this icon on the ribbon bar in the email ?

image.png.0051c5a88fa4bd19b2dcb91170ce9132.png

From here you should be able to make as many signatures as you like .. and change them ...