BANGKOK
Valentine

To Outlook or not

Looking for recommendations for a free email programme besides Gmail. Currently using Outlook 2007.

Thunderbird by Mozilla

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

I use thunderbird by mozilla/firefox and GMX as well

2 hours ago, Valentine said:

Looking for recommendations for a free email programme besides Gmail.

Is there a specific feature you're looking for, or reason you don't want to use a browser-based client?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

Is there a specific feature you're looking for, or reason you don't want to use a browser-based client?

Not really but Outlook for example will not save changes to my signature. Small thing but annoying. I am unable to upgrade as I think it is not legit

You originally said, "Looking for recommendations for a free email programme besides Gmail." Your question is a bit confusing because Gmail isn't a program/application (it's more a 'cloud service') and is only partially program/application based on iOS or Android devices.

Are you looking for a free EMAIL PROVIDER, an free EMAIL APPLICATION, or BOTH? And why.

I've been a Gmail user from the beginning, don't really find any big issues using the web-client interface on the laptop or the built-in mail apps on the phone and tablet. If you use Gmail but don't like using the web browser interface then many EMAIL CLIENT (software applications) can be configured to work with it.

I absolutely detest Microsoft's web-based outlook app (it locks up on me more than half the time and it ice-age slow). Microsoft Outlook (client) is primarily designed to work hand-in-hand with Microsoft's Exchange Server to allow users to quickly interact with group email, calendar, contacts. An individual user can probably use the free version of Microsoft MAIL.

Again, which way you need to go depends on what you need.

Others have mentioned Thunderbird, an email client that works with several email service providers.

• Like 1

If you been use to Outlook 2007 for many years and like Outlook but only want to upgrade because MS stopped supporting Outlook 2007 in 2017, why not just upgrade to Office 2019 which includes Outlook.  You can buy an Office 2019 license off Ebay for use a few dollars...that ain't free like you were asking for but it very low cost.   That's what I did late last year when getting another laptop.  My other two laptops are running Office 2016 which is still supported by MS till Oct 2025

Edited by Pib

If you have Windows 10, you get MAIL included. Works for me perfectly and I can add G MAil accounts to it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, I really don't like using browser-based email apps like Gmail and Outlook other than to quickly read and delete some short emails....and occasionally thumb-in/send a very short email of a few words using my smartphone.   

For me using MS Office, which includes Outlook, on my computer is the way to go since a person can buy licenses dirt cheap...perfectly legal licenses.  Used MS Office for much of my adult working life and now into retirement.   

Using Outlook as client software on a computer to manage/read/write email in comparison to a browser-based software on a computer or phone like Gmail and Outlook apps is like comparing a modern day car to a Model T Ford.

Same as me. I've been using MS Office for a long time. I hate webmail! I was using Office 2007 until last year, when I decided to get up to date and bought an Office 2019 Pro Plus key from eBay for GBP 4.99. IMHO Outlook 2019 is the way to go for email (if you are a Windows user). 

• Like 1

I've used Forte Agent  as my email client since 1995   lots of features , have a local offline copy of all my emails from different providers (Yahoo,Gmail etc) in one place you can write email offline,send receive to/from  Gmail,Yahoo etc when the net comes back on ( ok less of a problem now than it was in 1995)

One consistent user interface for all  email accounts...I liked it so much I actually paid them money !!!!

:shock1:   😋

https://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

PS  it is also a very good USENET Newsgroup reader ....good for all the errrrm  Linux ISO files..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pib said:

Yea, I really don't like using browser-based email apps like Gmail and Outlook other than to quickly read and delete some short emails....and occasionally thumb-in/send a very short email of a few words using my smartphone.   

For me using MS Office, which includes Outlook, on my computer is the way to go since a person can buy licenses dirt cheap...perfectly legal licenses.  Used MS Office for much of my adult working life and now into retirement.   

Using Outlook as client software on a computer to manage/read/write email in comparison to a browser-based software on a computer or phone like Gmail and Outlook apps is like comparing a modern day car to a Model T Ford.

Not really. Two quite different things. What about concerns of when it comes to privacy?

Google and Microsoft are hardly innocent when it comes to such things. They can likely see the contents of your emails and store them indefinitely.

1 hour ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Same as me. I've been using MS Office for a long time. I hate webmail! I was using Office 2007 until last year, when I decided to get up to date and bought an Office 2019 Pro Plus key from eBay for GBP 4.99. IMHO Outlook 2019 is the way to go for email (if you are a Windows user). 

You paid too much! I paid £1.87. 😊

• Like 1