I rented a CB650R for the day (and my friend ADV150)

Agusts

I wanted to try a more powerful and a proper bike than my Forza scooter, so rented a CB650R for the day and went for a ride with my friend who rented a ADV150 to try (he has Aerox and looking to change). We went around Phang Nga and the area and back to Phuket.

CB650R is the new modern version of CB650F and they call it Neo Cafe, same shape as other CBxxxR bikes Honda offers (it replaces their F range). This model has upside down Showa front forks and slipper clutch and a bit more power, plus pegs and handlebar are slightly changed for more sporty seating position. There are a lot of reviews on YoutTube and the web, and they are all good. And I can start by saying with my limited experience of bikes like this, it is a great bike, engine, suspension and clutch, throttle and brakes all and all are super comfy and work perfectly. I can't say more really, very precise and as expected, back tire is very wide and huge, it is so good I couldn't feel a thing over road bumps and even big holes, although I had a bit of getting used to leaning in corners it was still easy to adjust (I don't really lean much in corners or go fast, just a bit for fun, in LOS you never know what is around the corner....).

However, the bike was very awkward to seat on, no idea why, I was basically sitting on my balls and bending forward too much, I ask my friend to try and he said the same thing. After an hour it was getting hard, no idea how I managed 4 or 5 hours of it. Okay, I don't sit on many naked bikes, I have a very upright Chinese CG150 look alike in another country that I use a few months of the year, but nothing like this. I thought if the crown jewels are damaged I will sue Honda... !? lol

Going downhill and braking on a tight corner I could almost flip over the handlebar, a lot of pressure on my wrists and shoulders, I am afraid that bike is never be something I would like to ride on on a daily basis or even rent again. It is a great bike but why would anyone go through this torture, no idea, maybe my arms are too short or I have a weird ergo body.... ! Simply put very uncomfortable for me.... But as I have not heard too much about this on reviews, I am sure it is okay for others who are used to this riding position. My next test ride target will be a CB500X or Versys, I think they are much more suited to me and for up right and comfort...

As for the power of this bike, it is unbelievable, no need to really change gear, just about in any gear you can twist the throttle and go from 40kph to 120kph in a snap, when other bikes slow down after 100kph, this bike just comes to life, no hesitation and with a scary acceleration. I didn't have all the right gear and a top rated helmet but I took it to 172kph on a short straight I found and I was just holding on to the handlebar to survive the wind and the only time I didn't feel any pressure on my balls.... ! hahaha

BTW, as for ADV150 I tried that too and my friend of course riding that all day, all good but no room to stretch your leg against that vertical footrest they put in front, it is just too small and too vertical, not that comfy. The foot area generally felt a bit small and we are about 5 9 or 5 10, not that tall..., although the seat height is high up, but I think they brought the foot rest up a bit to get more ground clearance for off road riding , not sure, otherwise nice scooter, no other negatives really. Suspension was good and power okay for 150cc. My friend was not convinced of changing from his Aerox though...!

• Like 1

This happens to someone who don't usually ride naked bikes. It's just learning how to sit properly, your Weight shouldn't be supported by your arms or you'll get tired really fast. Grip with your legs on the tank instead, aditional tank grips will be helpful. Save the seed spreader. 

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 4:36 PM, Agusts said:

I wanted to try a more powerful and a proper bike than my Forza scooter, so rented a CB650R for the day

And how did it feel riding the big no-power Forza after that?

Will you sell it and buy a real bike? ???? 

Rode a Versys 5 days .. 6+ hours a day on the triangle..  very comfortable and easy to ride. At the time had a HD Road King in US much different ride, rode the tail of the dragonI North Carolina.. I like all kind of motos. BMWR75 lots of fun..

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And how did it feel riding the big no-power Forza after that?

Will you sell it and buy a real bike? ???? 

Not that bike, no chance, I go on 5 or 6 hours trips on a day on my Forza, not get tired at all...

I wish I had more power on Forza, the Honda Integra or a Tmax would be ideal, but still,  I can overtake most traffic with 300cc in Phuket hills and it does 135kph on highway which is plenty..., ah, nearly forgot,  it's ubeatable for Big C shopping trips...! ????????

That CB650R is good for a short ride of 30min or an hour to work or a fun ride around or a drag race, but not a long ride, I knew that of course, there are touring bikes for that purpose, and one of those I will try next...

As they say, need a different bike for different purpose, one never fits all requirements...

And yes I'm sure it feels more comfortable using it more than just one day...

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 8:08 PM, Kwasaki said:

Not all bikes are for all people sounds like your not one of em.

A CBR650RR is a nice bike and a CBR1000RR is even better you can cruise at 170kph in comfort.

CB650R is a different bike than CBR650RR, the latter is a sport bike, I never tried this sport bike,  but I think it is still a very different riding experience than naked version...! 

You are right about cruising though, I don't think I even got this 650 over 8000rpm on 6th gear and it was doing the 170...

46 minutes ago, Agusts said:

CB650R is a different bike than CBR650RR, the latter is a sport bike, I never tried this sport bike,  but I think it is still a very different riding experience than naked version...! 

You are right about cruising though, I don't think I even got this 650 over 8000rpm on 6th gear and it was doing the 170...

There's no CBR650RR, there are CB650R and CBR600RR. They are quite different. And yes both are quite different experiences to the naked bike, the CB650R being a closer one.

50 minutes ago, Agusts said:

That CB650R is good for a short ride of 30min or an hour to work or a fun ride around or a drag race, but not a long ride,

I've done more than 700km in a single day on a CB650F (Chaing Mai -> Khon Kaen) with pillion. I think it can do it no problemo ????
Done also plenty of day trips of several hundred km on my CBR500R, even two-up. It's not great at it but where there is a will, there is a wheely.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Agusts said:

Yeah I have always preferred sports bikes, if you found the CB too uncomfortable then you wouldn't like the CBR.

On 7/31/2020 at 4:36 PM, Agusts said:

Going downhill and braking on a tight corner I could almost flip over the handlebar, a lot of pressure on my wrists and shoulders, I am afraid that bike is never be something I would like to ride on on a daily basis or even rent again.

That reminded me of a video which I saw recently.

As far as I remember the guy explains that the rider should sit stable on the bike and there should be no pressure on the arms. That might be sometimes difficult especially for us non-processional riders. But I think it's a good idea that that is the way it's supposed to be.

There are also lots of other interesting videos on that channel.

• Like 2