BANGKOK
Seik

Volunteer visa via agent?

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Like some of you I was "offered" a volunteer visa by an agent (can I name them?). I'm on amnesty (visa exemption) with no thai family.

I've never used an agent before, how legal / safe / reliable would that be? I don't know if I'm even comfortable leaving my passport in their hands.
I'm also in the process of an Elite visa application but I'm afraid it won't be complete in time for 26 of Sept. Any experience or knowledge welcome.

Edited by Seik

Only use an agent if absolutely necessary.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Are you in or out of Thailand? If you are inside Thailand, best to consult your Elite agents.

Edited by Fromas

37 minutes ago, Fromas said:

Are you in or out of Thailand? If you are inside Thailand, best to consult your Elite agents.

I'm in Thailand. The Elite people tell me the first part of the process takes 1 to 2 months, not much they can do about that since my application is in the hands of Immigration. I've got good hopes for it though!

Tell the agents you can't sleep at nights for fear of hitting Sept 26 without a valid permission to stay and ask them if they have a definitive solution.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They did offer that definitive solution, 65K for 15 months total, the problem is that's on paper and I'm afraid of backfire. A "Volunteer" visa without doing any volunteering seems strange. I'd rather go the legit way if I can.

Edited by Seik
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

65K for an interim solution is excessive. Politely negotiate for something that will tide you over until the Elite kicks in. Don't be a pushover.

Those guys have creative resources at their disposal.

If it bothers you that much, join a few meetings and work activities at the place where you have volunteered. 

Edited by Fromas

You would need a WP, to volunteer... 

ED visa is also possible. Talk to your agents.

17 hours ago, moontang said:

You would need a WP, to volunteer... 

i dont think so but could be wrong   i am on the same visa but thai wife  double check it 

From what I understand about the new Amnesty you can apply for a 30 day extension up to 26 September so this would take you into October 

Anyone please feel free to correct me on this

As long as it's possible to convert this extension to a Elite then why not explore this option?

24 minutes ago, ifmu said:

i dont think so but could be wrong   i am on the same visa but thai wife  double check it 

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php#:~:text=Even volunteer or charity work,still to be given priority.

"Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.". This crackdown may have started after the 2004 Tsunami, when apparently there were many farangs around claiming to be volunteers, so I have been told.

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php#:~:text=Even volunteer or charity work,still to be given priority.

"Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.". This crackdown may have started after the 2004 Tsunami, when apparently there were many farangs around claiming to be volunteers, so I have been told.

It can depend upon what you are doing. Under the latest change to the Act for work permits it is no longer required.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can depend upon what you are doing. Under the latest change to the Act for work permits it is no longer required.

I would like to read up on it, if you have any links, Joe.  And don't forget the whole volunteer thing morphed into a cottage business of people paying good money to sleep on bunk beds, eat <deleted> food, and shovel elephant dung up North all in the name of being provided a proper volunteer experience..don't think anyone went to IDC, but I doubt they had proper visa, let alone WP.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/clg/business/tourism/voluntourism-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

So is ending up in IDC after getting a visa through an agent a possibility? The agent is saying there's no need for a WP by the way.