Volunteer visa via agent?

Hi,

Like some of you I was "offered" a volunteer visa by an agent (can I name them?). I'm on amnesty (visa exemption) with no thai family.

I've never used an agent before, how legal / safe / reliable would that be? I don't know if I'm even comfortable leaving my passport in their hands.
I'm also in the process of an Elite visa application but I'm afraid it won't be complete in time for 26 of Sept. Any experience or knowledge welcome.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Fromas said:

Are you in or out of Thailand? If you are inside Thailand, best to consult your Elite agents.

I'm in Thailand. The Elite people tell me the first part of the process takes 1 to 2 months, not much they can do about that since my application is in the hands of Immigration. I've got good hopes for it though!

They did offer that definitive solution, 65K for 15 months total, the problem is that's on paper and I'm afraid of backfire. A "Volunteer" visa without doing any volunteering seems strange. I'd rather go the legit way if I can.

65K for an interim solution is excessive. Politely negotiate for something that will tide you over until the Elite kicks in. Don't be a pushover.

Those guys have creative resources at their disposal.

If it bothers you that much, join a few meetings and work activities at the place where you have volunteered. 

From what I understand about the new Amnesty you can apply for a 30 day extension up to 26 September so this would take you into October 

Anyone please feel free to correct me on this

As long as it's possible to convert this extension to a Elite then why not explore this option?

24 minutes ago, ifmu said:

i dont think so but could be wrong   i am on the same visa but thai wife  double check it 

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php#:~:text=Even volunteer or charity work,still to be given priority.

"Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.". This crackdown may have started after the 2004 Tsunami, when apparently there were many farangs around claiming to be volunteers, so I have been told.

6 minutes ago, moontang said:

https://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/working-thailand.php#:~:text=Even volunteer or charity work,still to be given priority.

"Even volunteer or charity work requires a work permit in Thailand.". This crackdown may have started after the 2004 Tsunami, when apparently there were many farangs around claiming to be volunteers, so I have been told.

It can depend upon what you are doing. Under the latest change to the Act for work permits it is no longer required.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can depend upon what you are doing. Under the latest change to the Act for work permits it is no longer required.

I would like to read up on it, if you have any links, Joe.  And don't forget the whole volunteer thing morphed into a cottage business of people paying good money to sleep on bunk beds, eat <deleted> food, and shovel elephant dung up North all in the name of being provided a proper volunteer experience..don't think anyone went to IDC, but I doubt they had proper visa, let alone WP.

https://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/clg/business/tourism/voluntourism-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

going through the same situation right now and you have not considered a 90 day medical visa which should be more than enough or a 90 day education visa learning thai or muay thai which if you do not plan on extending does not matter your class results. ED for 90 days have been quoted 25000, medical 23000, small price to pay for peace of mind considering overstay makes it impossible to get an elite visa

48 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody has ever posted such a claim.

And if it was a possibility, it probably would have happened by now.

Only some teacher's whose agents used fake stamps went down, and the Canadian teachers who were arrested with the fake degrees they were told to get.  And depending on how fishy it is, extensions could be problematic, but that was more fore the over 50 guys, dodging bank requirements.  I think the link I posted was a fairly balanced article about the world saving orphanage visitors and the great unwashed elephant washers..

On 8/1/2020 at 2:49 AM, Seik said:

They did offer that definitive solution, 65K for 15 months total, the problem is that's on paper and I'm afraid of backfire. A "Volunteer" visa without doing any volunteering seems strange. I'd rather go the legit way if I can.

Wow, price doubled from the agents I've seen try to fob this off!

Definitely go with your Elite crew - surely you can get an answer sorted within 60 days?

44 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

Wow, price doubled from the agents I've seen try to fob this off!

Definitely go with your Elite crew - surely you can get an answer sorted within 60 days?

can't imagine they will have many customers after sept 26, doubling the price can 10x the profit

If you are waiting for elite worst case scenario you will overstay a bit max 20000 fine up to to 3 months and you will be fine no need to pay 65k.

65k for a scammy volunteer visa, I've been quoted the same price, I literally laughed at her face.

5 hours ago, Sundown said:

If you are waiting for elite worst case scenario you will overstay a bit max 20000 fine up to to 3 months and you will be fine no need to pay 65k.

I think the worst case scenario is that immigration will refuse to put the Elite visa in your passport if you are on overstay. They might be sympathetic in this particular situation, but do you really want to take the chance?

57 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I think the worst case scenario is that immigration will refuse to put the Elite visa in your passport if you are on overstay. They might be sympathetic in this particular situation, but do you really want to take the chance?

Agreed. By the way, if I get a new visa in my passport now, would it be problematic for my Elite application? Like, I give them my visa type and stamp for the application and when I go to Imm to get the Elite stamp I'm here on a different visa type.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:49 PM, Seik said:

It's become a popular option...fees in Pattaya are between 50-55k..done within one week..expensive but an option to keep you here for one year.

23 minutes ago, Seik said:

Agreed. By the way, if I get a new visa in my passport now, would it be problematic for my Elite application? Like, I give them my visa type and stamp for the application and when I go to Imm to get the Elite stamp I'm here on a different visa type.

How would you get a new visa sticker or stamp in your passport? Immigration doesn't care about the validity of visas.

If you were on a long stay extension that cannot be canceled it would cause problems getting the elite visa sticker put in your passport

22 hours ago, darrendsd said:

A friend of mine has just received a Volunteer Visa - no WP needed

Cost was 42k for 15 months

Medical visas available for 17k for 90 days

Care to share the information as to where your friend got it for 42k?  I am looking for one as well.

How would one go about getting a medical visa for 90 days without needing surgery?

Is everything just done straight through agent working with immigration to put stamp in passport, or do you need proof of operation?

15 hours ago, baansgr said:

It's become a popular option...fees in Pattaya are between 50-55k..done within one week..expensive but an option to keep you here for one year.

That's a lot of money to risk. Did you go through this yourself or heard it from a friend of a friend?

Archived