Cannot send mail to the US?

Thaiman2020

I need to send a document (3-4 pieces of paper) to the US. The post office told me today that the US government is not allowing mail to be sent to the US from Thailand.

Anyone know anything about this?

Are there any other options for sending mail?  Maybe a private courier service?

I'm not looking for anything fancy (and thus hopefully not too expensive), though tracking of the letter would be nice.

Thanks in advance!

Thai Post, EMS World (document), 880 baht, takes ~ 10 days.

I sent an envelope (from Bangkok, 10110 to Boston, MA) with ~ 8 pages, on 21 July, arrived 30 July. You can trace it via Thai Post, and once in the U.S. via the USPS tracking tool. You can request SMS/email updates and notifications. My letter went via JFK.

The ePacket thing is pretty new (like this week new), wasn't available when I sent my letter.

Courier Post is with DHL so might be faster?

thaipost_USA.jpg.1db06c9c93719abf4f5fb927cf2727ec.jpg

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too sent my tax returns using EMS a few weeks ago. Haven't checked to see if it got there

Related Question (hope that is okay):

How about mail coming from USA? Every year social security sends me letter asking if I'm still alive, with form to sign and return, usually around Sept or Oct I think.

If we don't get it, we can't sign and return it & then SS may be cut off. Anyone have any info on this situation?

If we do somehow get letter from USA, any provisions to print out, sign, scan and return by email?

48 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Sent my 2019 IRS tax returns via Fedex last week, cost me 800 Baht and tracking number said was delivered  in 4 days.  

Can you share any details? When I inquired at FedEx here they said ~ 2,400-ish baht.

16 minutes ago, The Cobra said:

DHL 3-4 Days is my experience.

Cost/price? A neighbor used them a few weeks ago; she said it was ~ 1,200-ish baht.

All prices quoted from Bangkok to U.S., documents, less than 40 grams.

13 minutes ago, Emdog said:

I too sent my tax returns using EMS a few weeks ago. Haven't checked to see if it got there

How about mail coming from USA? Every year social security sends me letter asking if I'm still alive, with form to sign and return, usually around Sept or Oct I think.

If we don't get it, we can't sign and return it & then SS may be cut off. Anyone have any info on this situation?

If we do somehow get letter from USA, any provisions to print out, sign, scan and return by email?

There are threads on this subject in the Home Country sub-forum. Basically don't worry about it.

If concerned you can email SSA (attach the pdf, use "Subject" detailed in above thread) in the Philippines, or download the 7162 form, complete and mail it.

Edited by mtls2005

15 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Can you share any details? When I inquired at FedEx here they said ~ 2,400-ish baht.

Cost/price? A neighbor used them a few weeks ago; she said it was ~ 1,200-ish baht.

All prices quoted from Bangkok to U.S., documents, less than 40 grams.

Thai Post's courier service is contracted out to DHL. Pricing on Thai Post's website.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wimpy said:

Thai Post's courier service is contracted out to DHL. Pricing on Thai Post's website.

Yes. 990 baht.

But The Cobra mentioned DHL, assumed they meant DHL, and not Courier Post. Hence my question.

23 hours ago, johng said:

My American friend and I went (second time) to the post office this morning to see why  the EMS parcel he paid 1400 baht to send to America 2 months ago ( promised 5 day delivery)  had still not arrived  

the "post mistress"   was adamant that due to Covid (zombies)  the USA where not excepting  any mail from Thailand !    I mentioned that Thailand hadn't had a Covid case for weeks so why would America not be excepting mail from  Thailand (Thailand not excepting American mail maybe)

and that EMS tracking showed it had got to BKK airport  and that American side tracking  had no record of the parcel...she insisted it was Americas fault   but in the end  gave us 2 forms to fill in to start an insurance claim.

My request for an Absentee Ballot still is hung up. I had filed an inquiry. That seemed to move it along, then the trCking showed it as being “processed” by US Customs, Chicago. I smell a rat ... News coming about US Postal Service being diddled with as we approach an election ...

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

Social Security for US citizens is now handled in Manila.  If you do not receive your letter when expected you can contact the and receive the form via email that you can complete, sign, scan and return to them via email.

• Thanks 1

Blake Robinson, 

I was going to send a letter last week.  Thai post said 888 thb so I did not send.  They told me that regular delivery not available only express.  I also know that services such as DHL, Fed Ex, and UPS are still sending but the last time I used such a service it was about $75 USD to deliver. 

1 minute ago, Max69xl said:

Where's the logic in accepting parcel post by air,but not letter post to the US? 

Since air mail is operating to other locations one could imagine that it's the other end doing the limiting.

1 hour ago, lovelg10 said:

My guess is that the current situation in the US with Trump's appointed lackey slowing down mail delivery is the root cause of your delays; nothing to do with the Covid virus.

How do you know it is not an obama lackey holdover doing it?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Sent my 2019 IRS tax returns via Fedex last week, cost me 800 Baht and tracking number said was delivered  in 4 days.  

good because i want to make sure my election ballot gets back in time to see a certain fat <deleted> out of office

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, steve2112 said:

good because i want to make sure my election ballot gets back in time to see a certain fat <deleted> out of office

Biden is not in office and he is not fat! You need to seek help for your TDS! This has nothing to do with the mail service!! Grow-up!

Edited by MyTHaiMyKe