James Murdoch resigns from News Corp board over editorial differences

rooster59

James Murdoch resigns from News Corp board over editorial differences

By Munsif Vengattil

2020-07-31T215342Z_2_LYNXNPEG6U1TY_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-MURDOCH-MARRIAGE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: James Murdoch, the son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, and his wife Kathryn Hufschmid arrive at St Bride's church for a service to celebrate the wedding between Rupert Murdoch and former supermodel Jerry Hall which took place on Friday, in London, Britain March 5, 2016. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File Photo

(Reuters) - James Murdoch resigned from the board of News Corp <NWSA.O> on Friday, citing disagreements over editorial content at the company founded by his father, conservative media mogul Rupert Murdoch.

The company owns The Wall Street Journal, known for its conservative editorial page, and Rupert Murdoch has counseled world leaders, espousing his philosophy, but son James over the years has moved to the left.

James Murdoch and his wife Kathryn in January condemned the organization's coverage of climate change, particularly for denying the role of global warming in Australia's devastating fires.

"My resignation is due to disagreements over certain editorial content published by the company's news outlets and certain other strategic decisions," Murdoch said in his resignation letter.

A Harvard dropout and co-founder of a hip hop music label, the younger Murdoch was formerly chief executive of Twenty-First Century Fox, before most of its assets were sold to Walt Disney.

The departure of the son of 89-year-old Rupert Murdoch would leave the News Corp board with 10 directors. (https://bit.ly/3k3kTc2)

A representative for Murdoch declined to comment beyond the resignation letter.

The move comes a week after a group of WSJ journalists sent a letter to its publisher, asking for a clearer delineation between its news and opinion divisions, while citing the latter's "lack of fact-checking and transparency."

"As long as our proprietors allow us the privilege to do so, the opinion pages will continue to publish contributors who speak their minds within the tradition of vigorous, reasoned discourse," WSJ's editorial board said in response.

(Reporting by Munsif Vengattil in Bengaluru; Editing by Maju Samuel and Tom Brown)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-01

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tug said:

Good to see someone in that family has heart and integrity I hope he uses his connections and knowledge to fix or destroy that damaging corporation 

While I share your hope for his having a damascene conversion, I am too cynical to put his motives down to integrity; I suspect the whole family is dysfunctional, self obsessed and wholly out of touch with reality. If you haven't watched HBO's Succession, I thoroughly recommend it - rumoured to be based, in large part, on the Murdochs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, heybruce said:

Fox News viewers rejoice!  Maybe now the last remaining real journalists at Fox News will be fired and replaced with more bile spouting conspiracy theorists like Hannity and Carlson.  Those guys are much more entertaining than real news.

After saying that you only read the real news we find you watching tv pundits after all. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

James Murdoch and his wife Kathryn in January condemned the organization's coverage of climate change, particularly for denying the role of global warming in Australia's devastating fires.

There is no actual evidence of cause/effect. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, heybruce said:

Mostly I see them on comedy shows that lampoon them.  Almost entirely that way, now that I think of it.

Certainly more entertaining than what passes for comedy on the late night shows.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

An inevitable outcome. James despise Trump and Fox’s pandering to him right from the start. He associate with liberals and an advocate for climate change and he donate to Biden’s election campaign. Right move and best of luck James. 

His dad backs one and he backs the other. Win win for the Murdochs.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:08 AM, heybruce said:

Mostly I see them on comedy shows that lampoon them.  Almost entirely that way, now that I think of it.

Same here, but these days the news programs are nearly indistinguishable from the (intentional) parody/comedy shows.  How can you watch the likes of Kayleigh without wondering if you should laugh or allow your stomach to turn sour?  For me the turning point was the Giuliani - Chris Cuomo "interview" prior to the impeachment, it was almost an homage to the Monty Python Argument Clinic bit.

Hannity was in fine form bashing Obama for the John Lewis funeral, you could tell he felt great revisiting the old times; sort of like hearing Neil Diamond singing one of his hits from 50 years ago, but without the entertainment value.

37 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Same here, but these days the news programs are nearly indistinguishable from the (intentional) parody/comedy shows.  How can you watch the likes of Kayleigh without wondering if you should laugh or allow your stomach to turn sour?  For me the turning point was the Giuliani - Chris Cuomo "interview" prior to the impeachment, it was almost an homage to the Monty Python Argument Clinic bit.

Hannity was in fine form bashing Obama for the John Lewis funeral, you could tell he felt great revisiting the old times; sort of like hearing Neil Diamond singing one of his hits from 50 years ago, but without the entertainment value.

If you want to stay informed you have to read.  Watching television doesn't inform, and frequently misinforms.

• Like 1