BANGKOK
rooster59

Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's death sentence overturned by appeals court

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Seems right, some of the jurors were out on social media before the trial condemning him.

I would say just lock him away for life with no possibility of parole to put an end to this, works out cheaper than the death penalty as well.

How does housing and feeding him for possibly another 60 years work out cheaper than exhausting all his appeals over maybe 15 years and then putting him down? 

• Thanks 1

If he doesn't get death then nobody should get that penalty. 

Posted (edited)

Did  they ask the 265  injured  also?

Edited by Scott

13 minutes ago, bodga said:

Did  they ask the 265  injured  also?

No idea, do your research and find out. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

How does housing and feeding him for possibly another 60 years work out cheaper than exhausting all his appeals over maybe 15 years and then putting him down? 

It's been studied before and the courts and appeals actually cost more than life in prison. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know what's worse, death penalty or whole life sentence in a supermax.  

12 hours ago, stevenl said:

Maybe it will stand. But it will mean 20 years or so of lawsuits, costing money like crazy, and keeping this in the victims' eyes for those 20 years 

Just lock him up for life and be done with it 

to me personally, to be isolated in the supermax, I'd rather be dead. Retribution is a real aspect to US justice, I wish our Canadian law had a little more of it, especially in a case as heinous as this..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Really easy to find, e.g. https://www.thebalance.com/comparing-the-costs-of-death-penalty-vs-life-in-prison-4689874

• Like 1

3 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I don't know what's worse, death penalty or whole life sentence in a supermax.  

Depends on the individual, but one would think death penalty preferable, though some clearly wish to live.

There really is No Death Penalty in the USA.  Most who have been on death row die of natural causes before all of their appeals are heard.  They say it is not a deterrent.  How do you know.  Something that will not occur for decades if ever is hardly the deterrent of something you know will happen quickly.  One way or another, put him in the general population and the inmates will take care of what the government refuses to do. 

Baiting post leading to bickering removed

14 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

It's been studied before and the courts and appeals actually cost more than life in prison. 

Ok,  but you have the right to appeal any sentence, if he doesn’t get the death penalty and appeals his prison sentence won’t the cost be the same? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Ok,  but you have the right to appeal any sentence, if he doesn’t get the death penalty and appeals his prison sentence won’t the cost be the same? 

Read the link provided, or search Google. Many links on this.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

So what, the west is spending zillions to take out Muslim terrorist where ever they show up around the world. A court case over a caught mass murderer is peanuts... 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:41 PM, Roadman said:

Despair? He deserves to die. But in a civilized world do we as humans have the right to sentence other humans to death. The despair should be that the USA is that uncivilized it thinks nothing of killing other humans. The rest of the western world have moved on as civilized nations. 
Lock him away for life. And life means life.  

LOL. We have no problem sending young men to kill and be killed in war, we have no problem allowing abortion, etc

I don't support the death penalty as too many innocents died due to wrong convictions, but I'd put them in solitary till they died in prison. Punishes the guilty and allows the innocent to be released if the system works.