Attitudes of Waiters & Waitresses in Thailand.

WineOh

Morning all,

now maybe its just me but I have noticed a really steep decline in the level of service in many bars & restaurants here in Thailand.

no smiles, no hello how are you today,

just pay and get the hell out as quick as you can.

i have noticed this from big fancy places down to small family owned restaurants. 
it seems they cannot be bothered anymore and have forgotten how to make customers feel welcome. Just the other day i ordered a pizza and after 40 minutes of having me wait the waitress came over and said the chef had messed up the dough and would i like to order something else. When i said no just give me the bill her reaction was like it was ME who <deleted> up the pizza! 

Good service is essential to an establishments being a success or not. 
to be honest im sick of being treated with contempt everytime i go out for a meal or a drink. Think i will cook at home in future.

has anyone else noticed this steady decline in the attitudes of waiters and waitresses in Thailand?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, Tropicalevo said:

No decline here on Samui. Polite and friendly where I eat and drink.

If anything - more polite and friendly with the absence of foreign tourists.

Funny because I was in samui around christmas and I thought the service was atrocious. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Could they ever be bothered?  Thailand is not noted for the high level of its customer service, unless you are in a 5 star hotel.  The people in bog standard hotels and restaurants are badly trained, if trained at all, paid a pittance and couldn't care less. Mind you, give me Thai customer service over the US false smiles and stupid greetings version any day.  I find US restaurant staff in Cities intensely irritating and their tip system ludicrously over generous. 

Very good customer service in Japan, pilot old bean.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Could it be something to do with many many folks all countries are worried 24/7 about getting the virus and worried whether they have a job tomorrow and can feed their kids etc., etc. 

You need to chill and get a hobby.

Service was bad even before covid. 

if they are not happy in their job and dont make enough money etc then quit.

servers are the shop window of any food and drink establishment and if they are lousy then that is a bad sign. 

Edited by Liverpoolfan
  • Like 2

Just now, Liverpoolfan said:

Service was bad even before covid. 

if they are not happy in their job and font make enough money etc then quit.

servers are the shop window of any food and drink establishment and if they are lousy then that is a bad sign. 

As said, get a hobby. Or perhaps you should move to another country where service always excelllent regardless of anything. 

• Like 2

Yet another "Thais ain't kissin' me butt enuff" whinge. Never gets old.

Haven't noticed any "decline." I'm always treated well. It helps to initiate a smile and a polite, friendly greeting in Thai that helps distinguish one from the idiots they usually have to deal with.

What I have noticed, however, is a widespread but entirely understandable gloominess. I share that to some extent, too. Like most worldwide, I miss the old pre-COVID days.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2