Attitudes of Waiters & Waitresses in Thailand.

WineOh

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Funny that you say that.

I finally broke down and got my badly needed pandemic haircut yesterday.

I looked like a mad man and was developing a mullet. 

So I went to a nearby place earlier in the day that was empty of customers.

I just wanted anything. Not picky. 

So for 100 baht (price hasn't gone up) I got one of the best haircuts I ever got in Thailand. Better than some places I have paid 500 baht at. 

He did the cutting mostly by hand which is rare in the cheaper places.

I was flabbergasted. 

So I tipped 100 baht. 

Of course now I'm screwed because if I go back there, that will now be expected. Oh well. 

That's a good deal and I am sure it was appreciated in these current times.

Village barber here took 50 Baht my first haircut, wouldn't take a tip. Haircut, shave, ears and nose trimmed, does a good job. I felt bad paying so little and the next time and up till now I give him 100 and he's always pleased. He had a salon in Bangkok now retired back home farming again. Free veg now with most haircuts ????

• Like 2

Just now, Jingthing said:

I actually agree with you. Tipping 100 percent is over the top and I get that the receivers might consider people doing that fools. But I can live with that. 

Which is  ok until I go into the same shop and all they see is the dirty falang but  know  "he big  tip"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bodga said:

Which is  ok until I go into the same shop and all they see is the dirty falang but  know  "he big  tip"

Yeah I get what you're saying.

Also we're in an unusual situation here now. "Farangs" are much rarer these days and we're being politically scapegoated. I'm not saying that's a reason to tip well or not tip at all. Just saying these are strange times.

To add, I've never been an advocate of tipping like an American (as an American).

I have not done that here but I have adjusted my tips based on the pandemic, not based on comparing to home customs. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Can't say I've had any problems.

Show me the menu, take my order, bring my food and drink, collect the payment.

Not really interested in chatting with wait staff ....... maybe if I was desperately lonely.

Agree to an extent, but if you are being served by someone looking suicidal and acting as if they are doing you a favor, then that's NOT good. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You might say well it's their choice to do those jobs. OK, but there is less choice these days because of massive unemployment.

If that unemployment is  so  massive  they could  all come and work on the land with me, but  no, NO takers.

Job Includes brand  new  2  bed house  fully  insulated from the heat  , 40" tv ,free motocy, free   rice' free electric, free  water, free fish,  2  people or  one 20k for 2, 13k for one person.

7 am to 11am then 2pm to 6pm pm  or  hours to suit themselves, only give midday time off as its  hot.

So  no  jobs isnt true, no "easy  jobs" maybe, in fact my  job is REAL easy now  all the hard work has been done mostly  by me, tree watering and keeping the place tidy, womans job just cleaning/watering so  the womans job is part  time is  its a  couple.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bodga said:

If that unemployment is  so  massive  they could  all come and work on the land with me, but  no, NO takers.

Job Includes brand  new  2  bed house  fully  insulated from the heat  , 40" tv ,free motocy, free   rice' free electric, free  water, free fish,  2  people or  one 20k for 2, 13k for one person.

7 am to 11am then 2pm to 6pm pm  or  hours to suit themselves, only give midday time off as its  hot.

So  no  jobs isnt true, no "easy  jobs" maybe, in fact my  job is REAL easy now  all the hard work has been done mostly  by me, tree watering and keeping the place tidy, womans job just cleaning/watering so  the womans job is part  time is  its a  couple.

Well that's nice. I didn't say no jobs but it can't be denied that delivery drivers has been one of the few bright growth spots in the Thai economy (and globally as well). 

1 minute ago, bodga said:

No free massage? Only 40" TV? I don't know, things are really going down hill.

• Haha 1

I go to a couple of places in Bangkok regularly and I didn't notice any difference.

Some staff are very friendly, some medium, and some just do their job.

In general I guess many of them get a lot less money than before and maybe they have family who lost their jobs, etc. People are stressed and it's not always easy to be relaxed and friendly in such a situation. It's not perfect but understandable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Funny because I was in samui around christmas and I thought the service was atrocious. 

I havent seen you say anything positive in ages so its not so strange that you think everything is bad. I always thought Dutch were good at complaining but you definitely win the contest hands down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

There's no Maybe it's just me--- It's you----after reading a lot of your post, I really do think that it is your attitude.......... maybe Bootle would be a better place for you to reside.

Toxteth would be too good

I find the service now the best since I moved here.  Even gotten several "thank you" and "come back" while leaving.  Especially at the massage shops never been treated so well.  ????

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bodga said:

I see homeless people in my soi. I see other people looking through the trash at the sides of the road at the end of the day. In the night I see people sleeping on the street. I never saw that before in the soi where I live. It's really sad to see.

Maybe there is a communication problem here?  

17 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

yeah 10$ a day, they just can't wait to do handstands for you lol..

Im not expecting handstands but a little politeness to a paying customer goes a long way.

it is their job after all!

• Like 1

It's common among cashiers, waiters etc... In general Thais don't like farangs but they will smile and be kind if they have even a slight chance of gaining direct access to your wallet (you are a customer / potential customer / potential husband...and so on).

This said, the waiters and cashiers cannot be bothered in showing you a fake smile simply because at the end of the day, they will still get paid by their employer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1