Attitudes of Waiters & Waitresses in Thailand.

WineOh

7 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

maybe its just me

I have found you get what you give out... the wait staff can be a bit gloomy lately because there are so few customers... 

I went for a take out pizza last week too... I have only been there a couple of times and they brought me a glass of ice water to drink while I waited... 

I feel bad for them as they must be getting very little in tips w/no customers so I make sure to tip a bit more than normal... and they appreciate it and obviously must remember.

2 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

If you're a cleaner you should do your best to be the #1 cleaner in the world...

Or what, keep circling the drain and hope to win the lottery?

Absolutely!

even waiters can work their way up the food chain to become managers, chefs and eventually owners. The ones that don't and stagnate in the same position for 30 years are bone idle and have zero ambition. 

• Sad 1

I do wonder why certain people like liverpoolfan are always having problems and other people like me for instance not. I think it has a lot to do with not acting like you own the place and expecting everyone to bow for you. 

Accepting that mistakes can be made and its not personal and if someone does not smile to you tough titties. Though in general whatever restaurant i visit or other place im treated normal. But I don't expect staff to grovel to me. All i expect is for them to bring me my food and that is it. If something goes wrong i often let it slide unless it is a big thing. We are paying peanuts here then you cannot expect high class service.

If things go wrong in more expensive restaurants then I got more of a problem then at the cheap ones. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Absolutely!

even waiters can work their way up the food chain to become managers, chefs and eventually owners. The ones that don't and stagnate in the same position for 30 years are bone idle and have zero ambition. 

Ever thought that not everyone is gifted the same way. Like how you are not gifted with charm and an easy going personality they might not be gifted with much brains. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

If you're a cleaner you should do your best to be the #1 cleaner in the world...

Who said so?

You don't understand human nature and despair.

And no, no one wants to be the number 1 cleaner in the world

2 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

And normally you do.

But then there must be those days when even the most ambitious of cleaners suffers the misfortune to happen upon an exceptionally large turd that she simply can't face with the usual equanimity.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Not my fault, is it?

if they cant be bothered to learn the trade and move up the chain then don't take it out on the customers!

When i left school i cleaned toilets for a living because that is all I could get  Back then. Had i not had the hard work ethic to get out of that situation I would still be cleaning those same toilets. 

i have zero sympathy for people who cannot be bothered to improve their own lives. 

Being born with limited intelligence is something you can't blame others for but having such a bad disposition like you is something you can change. So to say its not your fault is not true. You should lighten up. Some people will never be able to do much more then cleaning. They can't improve everyone has their limits. Has nothing to do with being idle or not wanting to improve but with skill.

When i was done with my education I was hired right away so I did not have to resort to jobs like what you are talking about. But there is no shame in those jobs. I stocked shelves, was a postman and worked in the Tulips during my education time. Nothing wrong with that at all.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Nothing wrong with that job. My Dad was a road sweeper for a few years at Poole Town Council before he retired back in 1954.

We had a road sweeper in my town, was a real character, lived with his old mum till she died, once when the council were gritting the town David was behind it shovelling the grit into his cart, he got a member of the public to help him push it back to the yard!!????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We as westerners think that is obvious for someone to be eager to achieve a better income, a better job, aim to wealth, for Thais is different...you notice it especially when you have to hire people. They simply don't care about work and it's not a matter of money. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sundown said:

We as westerners think that is obvious for someone to be eager to achieve a better income, a better job, aim to wealth, for Thais is different...you notice it especially when you have to hire people. They simply don't care about work and it's not a matter of money. 

I disagree, and think they do want money.

They just aren't that bothered about the pittance they get paid.

Offer them 5,000bht/day and see if they're more interested.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It's been a steady decline from over a decade ago, probably longer.

The reason is always the same: too many tourists compared to natives. It's human nature, people stop caring when there's another sucker waiting in the line. Mass tourism is something that must be combated at global level. Stay home.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That still won't make them conscientious workers.

I've learned that here. You can throw a billion baht at something and the quality is still rock bottom. Work ethic is a rare beast in the tropics.

• Like 1