BANGKOK
Thaivisa Golf

Caddie Injured by Expat’s Golf Ball: Should Golfers Take Out Insurance Cover?

Caddie Injured by Expat’s Golf Ball

IMG_1551.jpg.ae71d3523113832fb037db0fad266662.jpg

Injured caddie Pairin Kantawongs. Photo: supplied

Many of you will have read recently about a Thai caddie who was injured by an Expat golfer.

It poses the question should golfers take out insurance cover?

The case here was when Pairin Kantawongs, 56, a caddy working in an undisclosed Chiang Mai golf club, reported to police, after a 67-year-old Italian client whose golf ball hit her in the eye causing her injury earlier this year.

According to Pairin, she was standing between 150-200 metres away when the Italian’s ball hit her in the eye socket. 

She has been negotiating with the Italian since January but neither can agree to a sum. She has therefore come to the police to report this incident, demanding 500,000 baht in compensation.

Pairin told police that her eye socket was cracked, and she has not been able to see properly since the operation, requiring sunglasses while out in the sun.

She said that while it was an accident, it was still the client’s fault and he must take responsibility.

As to the Italian, he has reported to the police but says that caddies must always stand behind the golfer, but Pairin did not do so and went to stand in the fairway, which lead to her accident. He said that he has paid 5,000 baht already towards her medical cost, but insists that half a million is too much.

Who is Responsible?

This news story has now gone viral and brings up the topic, who is responsible?

Some will say the golf club should take out some insurance policy to cover their staff. Others might say it is up to the player to have adequate cover.

No one intentially wants to hurt anyone when playing a round of golf, except that accidents can happen. Which is why for example we all know to beware when we hear ‘FORE” being shouted out during a round of golf.

Golf related injuries can result from errant shots, reckless swings, overturned golf carts and thrown clubs. 

Few people associated with golf courses are immune from the hazards of the golfing accident…. players, caddies, spectators, passing motorists and even adjacent homeowners, they are all at risk. 

There is Cover in Thailand

With insurance becoming increasingly expensive or largely unavailable, “the legal implications of such accidents are vitally important to golfers, golf courses and insurers.”

According to Pattaya based broker Jack Levy of Macallan Insurance, there are insurance policies just relating to golf in Thailand for under THB1,000 per year.

These include Public Liability cover for Death or Bodily Injury to a Third Party and Loss or Damage to Third Party Property arising whilst playing or practicing golf at any golf course in Thailand up to THB500,000. 

Bodily Injury to the Insured from any Accident or unforeseen event whilst playing or practicing golf at any golf course in Thailand. 

Loss of or Damage to Golf Equipment from any Accident or unforeseen event whilst playing or practicing golf at any golf course or driving range in Thailand or during transit directly between the golf course/range and the Insured’s residence. 

These policies would have been handy for this Italian player in Chiang Mai, but perhaps the golf clubs themselves should consider taking out cover for their staff and players too.

What do you think?

• Sad 1

Mistakenly, many golfers think they are insured by the golf course (included in their green fee) That is quite simply NOT the case generally. Highlighting this with my fellow golfers, (by the way I am insured on a worldwide policy from the UK) it seems they will still take a cavalier approach and not bother with any third party or any type of golfers insurance. Lack of insurance in any way is OK if you are prepared to take the risk, but woe betied when lack of insurance comes back to bite you. My UK policy costs (valid worldwide) . around £50 (2000 baht ish) and covers me for allsorts, (personal liability, loss of clubs and even the most impossible scenario which is getting a "hole in one!"

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, keith101 said:

If this is true then entirely her fault and he should not be held accountable for her negligence . Caddies must at all times stand away or behind the players so as to avoid accidents like these .

Many times I’ve played and the caddie gives you the driver and they don’t walk all the way up to the Tee box, they say it’s to watch for your ball, but they are really too lazy to walk all the way up( and then walk all the way back down again)

But who’s to blame, it has to be the Golfer, he hit the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, keith101 said:

If this is true then entirely her fault and he should not be held accountable for her negligence . Caddies must at all times stand away or behind the players so as to avoid accidents like these .

Very convenient. Very nice attitude. To hell with the Caddies, my game is more important.

Sportsmanship at it's best.

🤮

Edited by ravip
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

So you don't play golf then or understand what the caddies job really is then. A caddie never moves far from the player as it is there job to not only carry the bag, but to clean the ball, check the distance, locate the ball after it is struck by the player, and off course hand them the proper club as well as possibly give course advise. So to be far down the fairway, unless caddying for another player already on the fairway, and then was stuck by another players errant ball struck either from another tee box or from an adjacent fairway, it is her fault 100% if her own players ball struck her because she was not where she was supposed to be.

No, I don't play golf.

Your post is quite informative, but I still standby my original view.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:26 AM, Thaivisa Golf said:

Thai caddie who was injured by an Expat golfer

Would this have been pursued by the caddie or indeed have made news if the golfer was not an expat? At least they didn't call him a foreigner!!! 

On 8/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, Dcheech said:

It is good thing golfers know that now. Golfing in the kingdom is not the bargain people thought.

Indeed. World class destination for high quality tourists, huh?

Golfing insurance. What other insurance must you need? I saw another boat has capsized, boating insurance right? Motorcycle insurance, even if you're never a rider. Who knows when one will come flying at you! Might as well take that health insurance they've been talking about making mandatory. But man, those deductibles. Do you really want to make a claim? Maybe just stay in your hotel room. Hah! Only the highest quality tourism here.

2 minutes ago, LNKDES1 said:

We, as golfers, are required to pay for and use a caddie provided by the course. So my thoughts are that the course should be responsible for the insurance for the caddie. 

A portion of the fees paid should be to offset any insurance costs the course would have to pay regardless if it was a employee or another player. As a homeowner on a Golf Course in the US, I made the course put up a windscreen to catch errant balls at the fence of my property and the course, this greatly reduced the cost of replacing windows the course and I had to pay for, as this was also a part of the HOA fee's paid monthly. Sold that house when I moved here, but kept a few others as rental properties but none directly backing to the golf course.

• Like 1