BANGKOK
rooster59

Get out now! 300 caddies told to leave as golf concession in Chiang Mai ends

Get out now! 300 caddies told to leave as golf concession in Chiang Mai ends

caddy.JPG

Image: Daily News

The chief executive of Star Dome Golf Club in the Doi Suthep area of Chiang Mai and 300 caddies gathered to protest the decision of Wing 41 of the Air Force to end their concession.

The Air Force own the land and have leased it out for the last 15 years. 

Now all the employees face being out of work. 

A notice went up saying that they should vacate the premises immediately. 

Executive Dr Phanwipha Krissadapong appealed for justice to the media. 

She said that under the name Phiman Thip Golf Club the company had invested 200 million baht in the course in building work over eighteen months from 2005.

They were granted a 30 year lease in 2007 but in 2013 this was renegotiated under different terms with an agreement that it could be changed every three years.

But the latest renegotiation in May of this year and the Covid-19 crisis left the company crippled. 

Now Wing 41 has decided to pull out completely leaving the future of the course in doubt and 300 caddies and other staff suddenly out of work.

Dr Phanwipha said that the company had paid its staff through the pandemic when the course was shut.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-01

Particularly at a time when so many are struggling to feed their families you would hope for a bit more understanding from Wing 41.

• Like 1

I see that they have membership packages ranging from 15000 to 200000

Wonder who the members are and what they knew ?

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

She said that under the name Phiman Thip Golf Club the company had invested 200 million baht in the course in building work over eighteen months from 2005.

They were granted a 30 year lease in 2007 but in 2013 this was renegotiated under different terms with an agreement that it could be changed every three years.

After spending 200 million someone wasn't very good at renegotiating the lease.

Some big shots wife will now be running the golf course, maybe a good job for big Boss.

I seem to remember a directive from the great pooh bah that the military at were to hand over such commercial operations to a civilian management agency to avoid just this sort of thing, or has that just swirled and bobbed away like an empty drinking water bottle dropped over the side of a Chao Prays Express ferry?

• Like 1

There's a new airport being built miles outside of Chiang Mai. Wouldn't it make more sense to expand the existing airport by building a new airbase outside the city? Why do we need a military airbase in the city? The golf course alone could be used for new runways. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

There's a new airport being built miles outside of Chiang Mai. Wouldn't it make more sense to expand the existing airport by building a new airbase outside the city? Why do we need a military airbase in the city? The golf course alone could be used for new runways. 

The only things being built outside Chiang Mai city are more & more housing projects 😉

19 minutes ago, Thailand said:

so you can bet there are other more lucrative plans for this prime land

Or the military want it´s own golf club. Got it for free now.

My sources tell me that the closure is only for 2 weeks, NOT permanently as implied by the news article.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:47 PM, TigerandDog said:

My sources tell me that the closure is only for 2 weeks, NOT permanently as implied by the news article.

if you have any news about this club's future it would be good to hear.