Thailand where the customer is always wrong? "Needle in pork" experience stuns diners

rooster59

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

No matter how hard you tried, you would have great difficulty coming on with something better than being asked to pay a fine for not finishing your contaminated food. T.I.T. Amazing.????

No, not TiT. This is not normal in Thailand.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In many all-you-can-eat restaurants they have signs, or at least small print, that customers get charged if they put lots of extra food on their table which they don't eat.

I.e. it's no problem if they eat 1000g. But if they bring 1000g to the table and eat only 200g then they get charged.

I think under normal circumstances that makes sense. Because the restaurants are about all-you-can-eat and not all-you-can-put-on-your-table.

In this case, when the story is true, the guest should not have to pay anything. At least IMHO.

Totally makes sense when you see the dearth of Chinese tourists using plates to scoop up shrimp into bowls!

Anyone who is reasonable also learns pretty quickly that this is just nice etiquette. I've only had it backfire once when someone at the restaurant thought they'd try it on by doubling the amount ordered - not knowing that my tiny frame partner eats more than I do (and I'm 6 foot and do heavy lifting at the gym). Everything else got sneakily hidden under the lettuce or "fell" into the BBQ grill.

Every other place has been pretty spot on and it totally makes sense why this is the requirement when you actually understand anything about Thai culture and how the customer-business relationship sits in their social hierarchy. 

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

It must be a leftover from the Wholesaler who injected extra water weight into the pork to make more money....Just never thought the syringe needle would break.

Water injecting to "up the weight" is common practice here... I gave up with pork years ago when trying to fry it in a pan like a steak, I'd end up with frothing scum coming out and almost boiling it !

• Sad 1

I had a similar experience at a sandwich place in Hua Hin. I bit into it, and when I happened to glance at the sandwich, there was a metal screw barely visible inside it. I told the farang owner, and he just made an "it's good to get iron from your food" joke and said it must have come from one of their appliances. No actual apology, no discount, nothing. 

That is a very strange looking needle. Certainly not something I would like to see in my pork, but doesn't look like any hypodermic, maybe a sharp probe used to poke a few holes prior to dunking in water or other solution.