Urgent help needed with new Outlook set up

xylophone

Bought new laptop and trying to transfer Outlook details and files to new one but have got into a hopeless mess with all sorts of errors.

I will pay handsomely to anyone who can assist, and think it best if I take my computers to them OR they can come to my apt in Patong (I can pick them up in my car), whichever suits. Currently using the old laptop but the battery has swollen and the laptop is old, hence the new one.

PLEASE contact me by PM and I can give my mobile number and location, and cost is not an issue, really.

AND have tried EVERY help/fix on Google to no avail.

Thank you in anticipation. Xylo

Any Techie worth his salt should be able to tackle it remotely. No need for anyone to visit. But would you trust them?

TeamViewer can be utilsed or more safely troubleshooting here.

I'm too busy to sit down for a prolonged time at the mo.

Computers can be so very frustrating!

However, I also bought a new laptop two weeks ago and Outlook was no problem at all. Is yours part of the “Microsoft 365” (was called “Office 365” I believe) subscription bundle? As far as I remember, all I had to do was log in to my Microsoft account and it all happened automatically as far as emails go. The only thing that didn’t migrate was my Task List so I had to enter those again – minor hassle.

I’m no expert, but maybe uninstall Outlook or do a System Restore and start all over again?

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Any Techie worth his salt should be able to tackle it remotely. No need for anyone to visit. But would you trust them?

TeamViewer can be utilsed or more safely troubleshooting here.

I'm too busy to sit down for a prolonged time at the mo.

Thanks and still trying to get it sorted with words like.........IMAP, POP3, Synch folders, Outlook, Outlook.com, Outlook, and others.

• Like 1

Seems to me you are just trying to configure Outlook so it can be your computer based email program. If it is that and you are trying to include your gmail adress in Outlook ( POP. Imap etc) you will have to set it up manually and give gmail permission to foreward your emails. Bit tricky but can be done.

OP stated "....trying to transfer Outlook details and files...." and so he isn't trying to set up from scratch.

I only use Gmail and set up Outlook on my previous laptop accordingly - I had to mess around endlessly with POPs and IMAPs and it was an absolute PITA as I am not a techie - in fact, I can't even remember how I eventually cracked it!

However, as I said above, all I had to do with my new laptop was sign in to my Microsoft account and it did the rest - no doubt I had to give my Gmail password at some point, but it was all very quick and straightforward.

16 hours ago, bubblegum said:

Seems to me you are just trying to configure Outlook so it can be your computer based email program. If it is that and you are trying to include your gmail adress in Outlook ( POP. Imap etc) you will have to set it up manually and give gmail permission to foreward your emails. Bit tricky but can be done.

Already have Outlook but it consistently "hangs" and keeps emails in the Outbox and I've had enough of it.....and the internet is FULL of users complaining about the same thing, going back years. Was trying to export folders etc to Gmail (web) but then I have to deal with pst and ost files, IMAP, POP3 and a couple of files have transferred but thats it, leaving my Outlook in a mess!!!

Fed up with MS and Google so now going to try ProtonMail as my email account and Ubuntu as a Windows replacement. Not only that both of those (MS and Google) have subscriptions of a few thousand baht due in a few days and want to avoid that.

15 hours ago, London Lowf said:

OP stated "....trying to transfer Outlook details and files...." and so he isn't trying to set up from scratch.

I only use Gmail and set up Outlook on my previous laptop accordingly - I had to mess around endlessly with POPs and IMAPs and it was an absolute PITA as I am not a techie - in fact, I can't even remember how I eventually cracked it!

However, as I said above, all I had to do with my new laptop was sign in to my Microsoft account and it did the rest - no doubt I had to give my Gmail password at some point, but it was all very quick and straightforward.

Nice to know...........but I have a lot of Folders in my Outlook email acct and these are where I store old emails, correspondence, pics and docs and getting them on to gmail is problematic. Then I find some has sent me a "phishing email" wanting money.... THEN my NZ Bank says that someone tried to log into my acct in Malaysia (Teneh Marah?) so the whole thing is a "fustercluck" hence trying other solutions as above.

Having said that It still looks likely that I will lose loads of history, correspondence etc if I can't transfer my folders, but maybe I will just have to live with it!

Edited by xylophone

3 hours ago, xylophone said:

Fed up with MS and Google so now going to try ProtonMail as my email account and Ubuntu as a Windows replacement. Not only that both of those (MS and Google) have subscriptions of a few thousand baht due in a few days and want to avoid that.

Good choice going with Linux (Ubuntu). You could also try Kubuntu which is a bit easier and with Libre Office included in Linux you can get whatever you want even your Windows Office files.

3 hours ago, chercheur888 said:

Good choice going with Linux (Ubuntu). You could also try Kubuntu which is a bit easier and with Libre Office included in Linux you can get whatever you want even your Windows Office files.

Thanks and trying to load Ubuntu from a usb but no joy with 3 attempts!!

On 8/5/2020 at 8:45 AM, xylophone said:

d up with MS and Google so now going to try ProtonMail as my email account and Ubuntu as a Windows replacement. Not only that both of those (MS and Google) have subscriptions of a few thousand baht due in a few days and want to avoid that.

I thought I would post an update because of the help which I have been offered not only on the site, but by PM.

I would still love to go with "Protonmail" because it is so clean and tidy, but that would mean changing my email address and I'm not sure that I could be bothered to contact all of the banks and financial institutions, not to mention government departments in my home country with regards to an email change??

Having said that, if needs must in the future, then I will go that way.

I had some great help from one of the TVF folk (and I haven't named him because he may not like that and I haven't cleared it with him anyway) and did manage to get my folders transferred from Outlook (PST folders) to Gmail (web) although not too tidily, but satisfactory all the same.

I uninstalled my Microsoft 365 office and don't intend to renew the subscription in a couple of months time, and although I did try Libre office and Google Docs, I couldn't seemed to get them seamlessly interfacing how I would like with my emails et cetera, so today I got an old Microsoft office programme installed, and also got all of the updates stopped.

At sometime in the future I would still love to go Ubuntu (or at least give it a try) but will have to see how these last efforts transpire. Failing that, I will probably opt for a free copy of both Windows 10 and Office 365 with no updates and soldier on regardless.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'm pleased to be able to say that I seem to have regained some sort of semblance of sanity and normality after almost 2 weeks of stress and hell.

PS. I had no idea that the Internet played such a major part in my life now that I'm here in Thailand, and I really missed having that interaction, so to speak.

45 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I would still love to go with "Protonmail" because it is so clean and tidy, but that would mean changing my email address and I'm not sure that I could be bothered to contact all of the banks and financial institutions, not to mention government departments in my home country with regards to an email change??

Does your current email provider have an option for automatically FORWARDING incoming email? If so then you could have some or all of your incoming email autoforwarded to any other email account you control, such as Protonmail. No need to close previous accounts.

The 'big family' has me create and manage their email accounts to use with whatever services still require them to have an email address (android phone setup, utility billing, government notices, etc.), but they can't be bothered to even check them (and neither can I), so I have ALL the various email accounts autoforward email to a single email account I can check then file the important messages into subfolders accordingly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichCor said:

Does your current email provider have an option for automatically FORWARDING incoming email? If so then you could have some or all of your incoming email autoforwarded to any other email account you control, such as Protonmail. No need to close previous accounts.

I currently use Gmail (web) and before when I had Outlook installed it used POP3 and IMAP to forward to that, but my Outlook was forever giving problems with "hanging" (plenty of complaints on the internet going back years) and had no luck trying to fix it and wanted to transfer all of my Outlook files to my Gmail acct........that's when I encountered pst and ost files and many problems!!!!! (mostly fixed with the helped of a forum member). My thanks to him.

Anyway, after the info above, are you suggesting that my Gmail acct could transfer my emails to Protonmail using POP3 and IMAP and I could keep my current address?? That would be a good move, however am getting used to Gmail now, but will investigate that option.

Thanks for replying, and if you have any more info I would be pleased to hear from you.

12 minutes ago, xylophone said:

[...] are you suggesting that my Gmail acct could transfer my emails to Protonmail using POP3 and IMAP and I could keep my current address?? [...]

"Filtering" and "Forward" options in Gmail typically only work on NEW INCOMING emails (although some 'filters' can be made to run against old previously messages). Email messages can be set to be kept -or- deleted as part of the forwarding on process.

I see your post a bit late, but like many others I have struggled with Outlook and Gmail and their various version upgrades for years. I currently settled to use an Outlook version of over 10 years old, I know it well and it still works with Gmail Pop3 and IMAP, though not sure for how long as Google constantly upgrades to new authentication protocols not supported by older versions Outlook...!

I think most Gmail users just use Gmail interface, but I hated it from day one, much prefer Outlook, but have to deal with all the issues that comes with it, over the years I must have moved many PST and OST files, to new computers or new Windows and Outlook versions..., new 365 is particularly troublesome, hence I stayed with old Outlook...

I'm glad all worked out for you, but be wary of Linux platforms too, although free it's far harder to get your head around later on..., no standard or single approach, almost millions of varieties of codes and libraries they never work together..., used it in uni for years, now I stay well away...

37 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I see your post a bit late, but like many others I have struggled with Outlook and Gmail and their various version upgrades for years. I currently settled to use an Outlook version of over 10 years old, I know it well and it still works with Gmail Pop3 and IMAP, though not sure for how long as Google constantly upgrades to new authentication protocols not supported by older versions Outlook...!

I think most Gmail users just use Gmail interface, but I hated it from day one, much prefer Outlook, but have to deal with all the issues that comes with it, over the years I must have moved many PST and OST files, to new computers or new Windows and Outlook versions..., new 365 is particularly troublesome, hence I stayed with old Outlook...

I'm glad all worked out for you, but be wary of Linux platforms too, although free it's far harder to get your head around later on..., no standard or single approach, almost millions of varieties of codes and libraries they never work together..., used it in uni for years, now I stay well away...

It looks as though we have had similar problems and have similar likes and dislikes, as I dislike the Gmail web setup as it is "messy" in my opinion, and I much preferred Outlook, but have given up because of all of the problems with it.

I have the new Windows 10 installed as well as Microsoft 365 (was the old Office program) and of course, Outlook is included in the 365 programme so I have had to uninstall it and put a very old version of office back on the computer, which seems to be working.

I had no idea of the trouble I would encounter trying to transfer files from Outlook to Gmail, but thankfully most of that is behind me now.

And thank you for the warning regarding Linux, as the last thing I need right now is more problems with my email/Internet et cetera.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

"Filtering" and "Forward" options in Gmail typically only work on NEW INCOMING emails (although some 'filters' can be made to run against old previously messages). Email messages can be set to be kept -or- deleted as part of the forwarding on process.

Thanks again........will be looking into that shortly.

Any email provider can do this.

I use Yahoo, and on my Yahoo account I can see both Yahoo and gmail., all messages. For work I use K-9 mail with imap, so my messages don't get downloaded to k-9, I am just able to see and respond. 

You are able with any mail provider to set up things however you like.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stevenl said:

You are able with any mail provider to set up things however you like.

Ah yes, that is provided that everything goes to plan................ 

For example my Gmail was set up to forward to Outlook on POP3, however when I had to reinstall Outlook because of a problem, Outlook automatically set up as IMAP and nothing I could do would change that, especially as I was constantly being asked for a password, and which password it was asking for I had no idea, although I did try many which I have used in the past, but to no avail.

The main problem was in transferring all of the folders I kept in Outlook, containing many hundreds of emails and pictures and items from the past, into Gmail, because these folders can only be opened in Outlook because they are PST files and transferring PST files is not the easiest of jobs, as several people can attest to, because they also tried on my computer and never fully got it to work properly....... and this was following the instructions given on various websites (so not just me!).

Consequently some of my files were lost and I wasn't able to find them again, however one kind soul did some research and came up with an app which I could download and which did most of the "donkey work" for me in transferring these files, which it did, although not 100%, but good enough.

None of this would have taken place had I not had so many problems with emails in Outlook just staying in the outbox, time after time, despite trying all of the suggestions, and it wasn't until I looked on the Internet to find out this problem has been going on for years, with no apparent full-time fix.

So now I am getting used to using Gmail, have uninstalled Outlook and the Microsoft 365 Office and substituted it with a 2010 version and have saved almost all of my files.

With Gmail I get no emails stuck in the outbox and am getting used to its "cluttered" appearance as compared to Outlook.

Perhaps I panicked a bit, because the thought of losing around 10 years of files and pics, held in these damn PST files was very unnerving.

Anyway for the moment it appears to be solved and in fact I am meeting the gentleman concerned this afternoon to buy him a coffee and offer a couple of bottles of good wine for his troubles and efforts. After that I will carefully think about my next move and it may well be that I can explore moving on to ProtonMail as that seems to be very efficient and very clean, not to mention ultrasafe.

All the same, thank you for your post and thanks to all of the others who responded to my call for help.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, xylophone said:

It looks as though we have had similar problems and have similar likes and dislikes, as I dislike the Gmail web setup as it is "messy" in my opinion, and I much preferred Outlook, but have given up because of all of the problems with it.

I assume you are talking about the Outlook program on your computer. It can be a bit of a pain and you don't have to use it, you can go into Internet explorer and select outlook and it will take you into Outlook.

Not sure what you mean by "transferring" as all the data should be in the system, which can be seen by going through IE.

Again I have to assume you are trying to set up the Outlook program and add services which I suspect would be computer specific.

What i consider to be one of the best features of the program is the ability to manage multiple emails, I have 6 on the go, 3 MSN and 3 Google. Normally quite easy to add, usually only need address and password and accept the defaults.

I have found some niggles, print doesn't seem to work, but I just get round it by going into IE.

I would suggest that you uninstall the app, Settings>Apps, which is named Mail and Calendar, reinstall it from the Microsoft website and try again.

Good luck.

21 hours ago, sandyf said:

I assume you are talking about the Outlook program on your computer. It can be a bit of a pain and you don't have to use it, you can go into Internet explorer and select outlook and it will take you into Outlook.

Not sure what you mean by "transferring" as all the data should be in the system, which can be seen by going through IE.

Again I have to assume you are trying to set up the Outlook program and add services which I suspect would be computer specific.

What i consider to be one of the best features of the program is the ability to manage multiple emails, I have 6 on the go, 3 MSN and 3 Google. Normally quite easy to add, usually only need address and password and accept the defaults.

I have found some niggles, print doesn't seem to work, but I just get round it by going into IE.

I would suggest that you uninstall the app, Settings>Apps, which is named Mail and Calendar, reinstall it from the Microsoft website and try again.

Good luck.

Thanks and pleased to know that you have things working well.

There is the web based outlook which is what I assume you are talking about, and the Outlook program included in Microsoft 365 Office, and this uses pst files which are not on "the system", but are within the program. So any files/folders have to be transferred to another system/program if changing......BUT the only way to access these files/folders is thru the Outlook program itself AND by using pst files to transfer, and that is where the problem started!!

Not an easy thing to do as others have found out, and a special program is needed to do so.....anyway have made the transition from Outlook to the web based Gmail with some success, thanks to help from a TVF member, so will stay with that for now.

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Thanks and pleased to know that you have things working well.

There is the web based outlook which is what I assume you are talking about, and the Outlook program included in Microsoft 365 Office, and this uses pst files which are not on "the system", but are within the program. So any files/folders have to be transferred to another system/program if changing......BUT the only way to access these files/folders is thru the Outlook program itself AND by using pst files to transfer, and that is where the problem started!!

Not an easy thing to do as others have found out, and a special program is needed to do so.....anyway have made the transition from Outlook to the web based Gmail with some success, thanks to help from a TVF member, so will stay with that for now.

From this post we are obviously at cross purposes.

What you are referring to is Office Outlook, an email client for the Office suite and I didn't know it was still around. Came across it years ago when I worked in business but was never really familiar with it.

What I thought you were referring to was Outlook.com which superseded Microsoft Hotmail.

Apologies for the confusion but I would suggest you have a look at Outlook email, proper name is Microsoft Mail and Calendar, much more user friendly than Gmail. I have 2 Gmail accounts and a Googlemail account that I have added to my Outlook email. There is also an app for your phone which can also consolidate all email accounts.

Confused as to what is Outlook, whether Outlook 2010, 2013, 2007, vs Outlook in Office 365 or Outlook.com? Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one ???? And as you have probably already discovered, the same apps and add-ins don’t always work with the various “Outlooks” out there, so it is important to figure out which Outlook you are using!

http://blog.evercontact.com/what-is-the-difference-between-outlook-office-365-how-to-choose-get-automatic-contact-updates-either-way/

Edited by sandyf
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

From this post we are obviously at cross purposes.

What you are referring to is Office Outlook, an email client for the Office suite and I didn't know it was still around. Came across it years ago when I worked in business but was never really familiar with it.

What I thought you were referring to was Outlook.com which superseded Microsoft Hotmail.

Apologies for the confusion but I would suggest you have a look at Outlook email, proper name is Microsoft Mail and Calendar, much more user friendly than Gmail. I have 2 Gmail accounts and a Googlemail account that I have added to my Outlook email. There is also an app for your phone which can also consolidate all email accounts.

Confused as to what is Outlook, whether Outlook 2010, 2013, 2007, vs Outlook in Office 365 or Outlook.com? Don’t worry, you aren’t the only one ???? And as you have probably already discovered, the same apps and add-ins don’t always work with the various “Outlooks” out there, so it is important to figure out which Outlook you are using!

http://blog.evercontact.com/what-is-the-difference-between-outlook-office-365-how-to-choose-get-automatic-contact-updates-either-way/

Thanks for replying............the "Office outlook" is still around and is included the the MS "Office suite" which includes Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint and that's what I had!

Your last para sums it up well.

I will stay with Gmail for now as it seems to be problem free, and I don't need need anything for my phone as it is a 2009 Nokia flip-phone!!! And I keep it this way as I don't want emails etc following me around.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, xylophone said:

Thanks for replying............the "Office outlook" is still around and is included the the MS "Office suite" which includes Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint and that's what I had!

Your last para sums it up well.

I will stay with Gmail for now as it seems to be problem free, and I don't need need anything for my phone as it is a 2009 Nokia flip-phone!!! And I keep it this way as I don't want emails etc following me around.

Thanks again.

I used to be an IT consultant on Sage software and haven't really seen Office since I retired in 2008. Not much use for it and I have old versions of Word and Excel that suffice.

If someone mentions Outlook, Office is not the first thing that comes to mind. Glad you are sorted.

• Thanks 1