Super-fit Solihull man battling horrific injuries after high speed motorbike crash in Thailand

rooster59

18 minutes ago, bodga said:

Thats interesting , interesting others  feel its stupid and dangerous in the  village,  but would  they still  shout that if  he drove sedately? because even at  11 years  old  its  still  too  young.

Not all the adults put up with nonsense from their kids, the neighbour who shouts at the boy has 3 young kids who are all too young to drive but do anyway. He does at least try to ensure they drive slowly (they do when he can see them).

They are all good kids though and generally well behaved and cared for.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Last night at the village shop some old guy with torch on his head (his old scooter had no lights), a dog sitting in the middle and a boy of about 10 years old on the back.

Man very drunk...orders more Lao Kai. After chat with other old guys he leaves to go home, telling the kid to get on the front of the bike and drive him and the dog home as he too drunk.

Kid, old man and dog no helmets. Kid drives off on the old bike with no lights into the road, narrowly missing another bike passing by, to which people think funny, then off they go into the darkness.

Yes I see this too everyday. It's almost like the parents want them to drive to have a designated driver. On these bike/sidecar combinations the youngest of the 5 or so people on them is always the driver. Insane.

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Super-fit Solihull man battling horrific injuries after high speed motorbike crash in Thailand

He may Have been Super fit but Not Super Smart . Not wearing a Helmet Maybe would've Void his Insurance . If he Had Renewed it

His choice to stay in Los  But Didn't Renew his Travel Insurance , After it  Expired . I am afraid it's a Self inflicted Drama.        Now in the Go fund Me Charity.

Travel Insurance :

Most travel insurance policies are designed to cover travelers from door-to-door, starting when they leave home and ending when they return home. However, there are different types of policies that provide coverage for different periods of time.

Most Single Trip Policies Last the Length of Your Trip

Single trip travel insurance policies with Trip Cancellation provide comprehensive coverage for the entire length of your trip. Typically, these policies can last up one year, however it varies by policy.

The length of your trip is one of the primary factors in determining a policy’s premium. Other factors include your total trip cost and the age of each traveler.

Trip Cancellation protects your trip expenses if you cannot take your trip for a reason covered by the policy. These policies are available up until the day before you leave for your trip, and also include Trip Interruption coverage to cover for the portions of your trip you miss if you have to return home early.

Some Single Trip Policies May Be Extended

Certain policies without Trip Cancellation are “International Medical” policies, which cover you while you are outside of your home country. These policies also last up to one year, however some can be renewed for up to 36 months if you extend your trip. In this case, your coverage will end when the renewal period expires.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

He wasn't wearing a helmet and he was on the way to the gym so i geuss a drive he did many times . He is living in thailand so he should know the risks of not wearing a helmet and for sure speading . Accidents like this happen every day here in thailand and i don't see go fund me for those people . Looking at the pictures he is living the live having a house with a pool home gym and he's a investment banker so i geuss he has more money to spend then most of us here . Sorry to be so blunt but i think they have to try to solve their own bill before asking people for money , maybe sell the house and rent something or whatever but he caused this accident by his own stupidity . I DO HOPE HE MAKES IT AND WILL RECOVER . 

Well said! Neither too much nor too little! One can disapprove without being only negative ????

When I see a farang on the road without a helmet on his scooter I think he lacks intelligence
When I see a farang  on the road without a helmet on a big motorcycle I think he's a fool.
For the Thais I don't think anything, they are too many.

• Like 2

I remember awhile back a TV member , I think Brit, had a heart problem and asked for help and a GoFunfMe was started. A bunch of TV keyboard warriors said oh it's a scam and he's dodgey ect even thought others said they knew  him and his wife Pie. Many said because he did not discuss every little detail of upcoming operation don't  contribute. He finnaly got the money from an undisclosed TV member but died from complications of the operation. I gave then and still send money sometimes to his wife , guess I'm just that kind of guy. 100% of us agree that it was stupid to not wear a helmut/gear when driving a big bike at speed but if you don;t want to contribute don't ,very simple. So far as scaming rumor/possible but no charges/warrants for him so how about we drop the hate and just move and hope he recovers and does the same. Wow so many hatefull bitter men on this site.

Edited by Tony125
spelling
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/1/2020 at 4:21 PM, Wazoo said:

Hmmm.   Seems I am not news worthy... 

Taken out by thai not looking and pulling out.

Busted pelvis,right side, shattered wrist, internal bleeding, broken fingers on both hands, dislocated right shoulder, exploded left testical, broken left foot. 1 million thb and my expat club insurance paid 220k.. oh I know why; i live here, married and have a thai family to look after..and i wore a crash helmet.. so be it.  :0) 

The Thai should've paid.

2 hours ago, Westie1 said:

This lad seems to be really flush with money(I did a quick dive on fbook) . I don't see why the family are looking for a handout

Or managed to chain a lot of debts to buy or rent stuff to show off with. 

On 8/1/2020 at 1:19 PM, Eindhoven said:
On 8/1/2020 at 12:44 PM, Crossy said:

Another GoFundMe job I'm afraid.

No lid, insurance apparently invalidated when he failed to follow UK government advice to return to the UK.

My insurance has not been invalidated.

The true test of any insurance company's  policy validity is trying to apply its coverage.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2020 at 1:05 PM, colinneil said:

What a bloody idiot, no helmet lucky he is not dead.

Now a go fund me to pay his medical bills.

Rides a motorbike, no helmet, just a clown.

You actually think that a ''Thai Motorbike Helmet'' would have saved him a 300 baht, plastic Helmet would not have helped much? could do more damage if not fitted correctly, now a imported full face to UK, European or DOT standards yes that would have helped.

Trouble is most Helmets are only for show in Thailand as in most of Asia

Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Jiggo said:

You actually think that a ''Thai Motorbike Helmet'' would have saved him a 300 baht, plastic Helmet would not have helped much? could do more damage if not fitted correctly, now a imported full face to UK, European or DOT standards yes that would have helped.

Trouble is most Helmets are only for show in Thailand as in most of Asia

Just my opinion. 

Well mate, when i had my accident, i was wearing the freebie helmet supplied by the Honda dealer, so yes a plastic Thai helmet would have saved his head. the only part of my body not injured was my head.

Edited by colinneil
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, 007 RED said:

We've all done stupid things in our life, me included, so far be it for me to 'throw the first (or last) stone.

That said something just doesn't ring right about the Go Fund Me appeal.

According to the information on the Gofundme page ( https://www.gofundme.com/f/deans-in-a-critical-condition?utm_source=facebook ) the individual had the horrific motorcycle accident in Hau Hin and was initially treated at a local hospital.  Apparently the hospital ran out of blood, so he was transferred to the private Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok.

It appears that he is currently in the intensive care unit of the Bangkok Hospital and his treatment is expected to cost in excess of 100,000 GBP.

His insurance company has refused to pay for his treatment and his family are seeking donations to pay for his treatment.

I remember very well that when I was taken to the Bangkok Hospital in Bangkok by ambulance after fracturing my ankle several years ago, I was held in the reception area for quite some considerable time, in excruciating pain, until my insurance company in the UK confirmed by fax that they would fund my treatment.

So, if the hospital’s policy is that they require proof of payment up front e.g. confirmation from insurance company or a credit card with very large credit limit before they provide treatment, how comes he is in their intensive care unit with a potentially massive bill that the insurance company refuses to pay and he/his relatives say that they cannot pay?

I somehow don't see the hospital providing the sort of treatment that he requires on the basis that his relatives hope to secure funding from public donations.  They (the hospital) are a business, not a charity.

Since his wife was with him she could have shown the hospital that they own property,condo, house , bikes , car ect and if she signed a statement to promise  to pay they would take out a lien on said property if payment was not made.

• Like 1

Sadly no more pentathlon/decathlon he may never be the same after this

you hear of thai,s doing this all the time all of us are hear to enjoy our

lives not to give them away like some thai,s do  just hope in time he gets 

some where back to what he was a fit man  now means i have to fly the flag for uk in pent/dec

21 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well mate, when i had my accident, i was wearing the freebie helmet supplied by the Honda dealer, so yes a plastic Thai helmet would have saved his head. the only part of my body not injured was my head.

Glad you where OK, depends on the severity of the impact I guess, just know I would sooner trust a helmet tested to destruction. Ride Safe

Hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds ~ pain and suffering  could have been avoided, for the cost of a 1,000 baht helmet. What an idiot. Hopefully he survives and learns that Thailand is no place to take a chance like that.

• Like 2