Trump says will ban TikTok amid pressure on Chinese owner to sell

rooster59

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

What exact regulation/laws is Trump using to ban TikTok? I've never used the thing and don't intend to, so I'm just bystander in this case, but still... is everything National Security risk?

What happens if American companies start getting banned around the World for "national security", demanding they are sold to someone else? Imagine Google or Apple or Microsoft or Amazon being forced to sell? I'm not saying anyone has guts to do that, and US is already sanctioning countries who dared to tax their online monsters, which eventually the whole World will, at ever increasing rate.

I'm just asking which specific line in international law or even US law gives Trump the right to ban or force sale of foreign companies?

Several major apps and websites are banned in the PRC, or heavily monitored in Russia. Other, smaller countries have similar restrictions. So some markets are off limits (or very limited) to some American firms.  I don't know that such banning/monitoring is dependent on international law.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AsiaCheese said:

And your competent source for that would be?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiktok+reverse+engineered+proxy+server&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

I'm controlling what apps can access. Surely a calculator requires no access to camera or call history, SMS and phone book. Whatever makes no sense is turned off, and if app breaks or demands access before letting me use it, rubbish bin gets fed.

the fun part with Android is that it allows you to restrict anything only AFTER an app requested (and received) that access. you can not install an app and restrict everything _before_ you have opened that app.

I haven't read much about latest iOS privacy functions but they look very promising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Sorry I don’t see much of evidence and this not peer reviewed by other developers. I will reserve my judgement if this just another political expediency. 

Peer review is a completely different world.  Facebook, Google, and Apple won't tell you anything, however, there is a vast hi-tech world and you can't hide anything from them. Especially open architecture apps. The problems with tic toc are well understood and are as bad as they say.

It's probably been reverse engineered many times, the guy in the news does it for a living.

Worse, it has taken over my household forcing me to become a tic-toc stage and lighting engineer. 

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

Sorry I don’t see much of evidence and this not peer reviewed by other developers. I will reserve my judgement if this just another political expediency. 

Who can you trust? The activist hacker group Anonymous. What do they say?

"A message posted by Anonymous through his Twitter account alerted users of the Tik Tok short video app after assuring that this was created to carry out massive espionage by the Chinese government, to what he suggested users delete it from their phones immediately."

https://www.web24.news/u/2020/07/the-reason-why-anonymous-asks-to-delete-the-tik-tok-application.html

• Like 1

People dont look further than.. Trump says ..... tik tok isnt what it seems, nor is Hwawie or a good number of other Chinese state backed and infiltrated global businesses..China with absolutely zero enemies has nevertheless been building is modern military up for decades, it is reaching the peak of its power it will be allowed to get without conflict with other powers

Xi has with his stunning mismanagement and impatience woken the world up to China's expansionist plan, ts growing aggressive stance and threats globally.... it took Hitler 7 years to upset the world enough to finally do something. The Anglophere, Japan, India and now looks like Russia and many other nations are increasingly taking economic and military steps regarding China.

The war already began years ago way before Orange man bad came along. Its just people havnt been paying attention. Well the world is paying attention fast now its shut down and crippled everyone's lives, for a virus that kills less than TB or Malaria or Dengue and a host of other nasty things we live with....

Wake up  and get past the Trump derangement syndrome people. Trump or Biden or whoever wins will just continue the new global policy towards China whom is at war with the world and has been for years.  

• Thanks 1

China's still-largely-state-controlled corporate sector has enough exposure to the difficulty  of survival in the ultra-competitive, heavily scrutinized, anti-trust swamped world of big tech that the top management of Bytedance know that this kind of pressure is simply untenable and it didint take much more than a shove from Trump to get a move on for China to blink and fold its chips in on this round.  

China’s ByteDance has agreed to divest the U.S. operations of TikTok completely in a bid to save a deal with the White House, after President Donald Trump said on Friday he had decided to ban the popular short-video apphttps://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tiktok-bytedance-exclusive/exclusive-bytedance-offers-to-forgo-stake-in-tiktok-to-clinch-u-s-deal-sources-idUSKBN24X3SK

Edited by englishoak

In the OP trump claims the US is not an M&A country - surely that is a false claim? The OP also says legislation is being enacted to ban Federal employees from using the app on government provided devices, one would assume the ban could be extended to all US based people in law enforcement, military, police etc from using the ap. Forcing the sale of TikTok in the US would enrich Chinese investors. Accordingly trump admin proposed actions make no sense to me.

2 hours ago, simple1 said:

In the OP trump claims the US is not an M&A country - surely that is a false claim? The OP also says legislation is being enacted to ban Federal employees from using the app on government provided devices, one would assume the ban could be extended to all US based people in law enforcement, military, police etc from using the ap. Forcing the sale of TikTok in the US would enrich Chinese investors. Accordingly trump admin proposed actions make no sense to me.

You miss the point, it's all about spying. Preventing China, from stealing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-i321sihrM

https://youtu.be/KmaH4JsetCg

(skip to about 1:00 minute to get the most valuable secrets)

Edited by rabas
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, fdsa said:

Tiktok IS an National Security risk as it runs a proxy server on users' phones, allowing chinese hackers to hack anything while hiding their identities behind these users, i.e. using american IP addresses in their attacks.

the world will become a much better place if all popular apps would stop stealing personal information in risk of being banned worldwide.

Apps stealing personal information? People put that information there and give consent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Apps stealing personal information? People put that information there and give consent.

people do not explicitly "put there" their contact lists, contents of their SMS and email messages, list of installed applications on their phones, their Wi-Fi access point name and MAC address including all neighboring Wi-Fi access points, and so on.

if an app presents itself as "share your video with the world" but reveals as "share your private information with us" then it's malpractice at least and espionage at most.

Edited by fdsa