Two new Covid-19 cases in state quarantine

rooster59

Two new Covid-19 cases in state quarantine

By THE NATION

800_7efb283c0208172.jpg

There were two new Covid-19 cases over a 24-hour period, the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration said on Saturday (August 1).

It was the 68th day without a domestic case since May.

The patients had returned from Serbia and Denmark, and were in state quarantine.

As of Saturday, the total number of confirmed cases in the country stood at 3,312 (375 in state quarantine) -- 119 are under treatment, 3,135 have recovered and been discharged, and there have been 58 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392281

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-01

With all these confirmed cases in quarantine on a daily basis is it quarantine that is infected ?

Or is it the government saying look we cant let anyone in, those who lives depend on tourism are on their own but don't protest about it we need a new plane for our essential travel though ????   

• Like 1

Two foreigners landing in Thailand have COVID-19 and are in quarantine

B46CF6C3-1F4E-45B3-8E32-6BA2B3F98E5A.jpeg

Thailand today recorded two new COVID-19 cases, both foreigners arriving from Europe and now in quarantine.

According to the CCSA, one is a Serbian footballer, arriving on a chartered flight from Serbia which landed at Buri Ram airport on July 19th.  He was cleared by Thai health officials on arrival and taken to a local quarantine facility in the northeastern province. A second test, conducted on July 27th, confirmed he is infected and he was admitted to the provincial hospital for treatment.

The other case is a Finnish engineer, arriving in Thailand on July 27th from Denmark and entering quarantine in Bangkok. He was cleared of infection in May and on July 24th, prior to embarking in Denmark for his flight to Thailand.  On July 30th, however, he tested positive for the virus and was admitted to a private hospital in Bangkok.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/two-foreigners-landing-in-thailand-have-covid-19-and-are-in-quarantine/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-08-02

24 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Almost certainly not if there were spread within the quarantine facilities the number of cases would be much more. And quarantine conditions don't lend themselves to disease spread, that is rather the point.

The number of confirmed cases is not that  large relative to the total number of returnees. And remember that, unlike foreigners,  Thais are not tested prior to return.

I have always found that last comment a bit strange.....................if not inconsistent.

I guess anyone contracting CV19 on a flight (from an untested Thai) will be picked up in either the initial, or final, quarantine testing. In which case, why bother to discriminate against foreign travellers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Almost certainly not if there were spread within the quarantine facilities the number of cases would be much more. And quarantine conditions do nto lend themselves to disease spread, that is rather the point.

The number of confirmed cases is not that  large relative to the total number of returnees. And remember that, ubnlike foreigners,  Thais are not tested prior to return.

Bearing in mind the quarantining country in question almost certainly not could well mean it certainly can also ????

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

According to the CCSA, one is a Serbian footballer, arriving on a chartered flight from Serbia which landed at Buri Ram airport on July 19th.

I guess footballers are a high priority case?

16 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Pathetic ? Really ? 99.99992% of the worlds population are NOT dead. We have grown the population by 40,000,000 more during covid, odds of dying from this virus are currently 1 in 12,000 based on population of the world. Based on 20% economic destruction , about 400,000,000 will have lost their jobs and income throughout the world. And I'm pathetic for my view  ?  You think the people entering into homelessness and starvation care about the virus more than their situation and feeding their kids ? Grow up mate, people die, some before their time, it's life. If you're - or anyone else - is worried about it, stay home. I dare say you are in a position that you do not need work anymore and can live on a nice pension - that view in my opinion is pathetic. Millions don;t have that luxury. Let the world get on with it. Mask up, get on with it. 

If you're not dead, it doesn't mean you're not affected. Some who survived are in a very bad shape, health-wise, with effect on multiple organs that exposes them to far greater danger in the future than those unaffected by the virus.

When you're comparing this with those who lost their jobs, livelihoods, and economic disaster: They are still alive, right? So it's all fine then. We'll only count them once they die of hunger.

Edited by tomazbodner
removed comparison with plane crash survivors

4 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If you're not dead, it doesn't mean you're not affected. Some who survived are in a very bad shape, health-wise, with effect on multiple organs that exposes them to far greater danger in the future than those unaffected by the virus.

It's like saying "not everyone dies in a plane crash." Having every bone broken, 2/3 of the skin burned and using a wheelchair for the rest of your life seems perfectly OK with you, I guess.

And if you're already comparing this with those who lost their jobs, livelihoods, and economic disaster: They are still alive, right? So it's all fine then. We'll only count them once they die of hunger.

I for one completely get that point but you still need to look at the numbers versus the extreme measures taken to "protect" us. Life is a game of chance, as long as you know what you're getting into, you deserve to retain the right to make adult decisions, whilst "socially distancing" to respect other people's rights.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Why would they allow entry for a Serb and a Finlander? I thought international inward travel for foreigners was not allowed.

Not so. One category of foreigner allowed are those with work permits with local Thai embassy travel approval. Possibly this was the category that allowed these two travelers to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

When you're comparing this with those who lost their jobs, livelihoods, and economic disaster: They are still alive, right? So it's all fine then. We'll only count them once they die of hunger.

About 36,000,000 die every year from starvation, I imagine that will grow with the infrastructure going due to shutdown madness - for arguments sake , call it 40 million. So basically 38,000,000 people more people will die of starvation this year more than covid allowing for 2 million deaths.

Covid will not kill half as many as it causes to suffer starvation and eventual death

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

I for one completely get that point but you still need to look at the numbers versus the extreme measures taken to "protect" us. Life is a game of chance, as long as you know what you're getting into, you deserve to retain the right to make adult decisions, whilet "socially distancing" to respect other people's rights.

I fully agree that response has been over the top in many places.

I wanted to point out that only counting numbers of dead, which can anyway be twisted one way or another that suits current agenda, ignores other effects of the virus, which seem to be completely overlooked. Many to most of survivors with symptoms have serious organ damage that would take months to years to recover, or never fully recover, especially on kidneys, liver, heart and brains/nervous system. Most cases where infection moved to lungs have severe blood clots in most of organs (possibly the cause of organ damage). These are not small problems. They can kill people through stroke/heart attack/kidney failure/liver cirrhosis. As such number of dead doesn't give the accurate picture by any means.

On how governments acted... we know some things about virus. We know some things now we didn't know 6 months back. Only time will tell what was good or bad action to take, all things considered.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

please someone tell me they test you POSITIVE and are brought to a hospital 

but you have no fever, are not sick .... so what exactly do they do ? or give as there is NO VACCINE, and pretty sure a VACCINE does not work when you already POSITIVE, right ?

Never heard of a person being brought to hospital for not being sick or fevered with covid as opposed to just isolating themselves for 14 days after positive test

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Why would they allow entry for a Serb and a Finlander? I thought international inward travel for foreigners was not allowed.

Both will have work permits. The Serb will probably be contract playing as a professional  for Buriram United ( Or would be if he wasn't  sick). The  Finn likely to be a Civil Engineer.

43 minutes ago, VBF said:

Absolutely, and I'd add to that Charles Darwin's theory of "The survival of the fittest"

And....I am on the edge of being in an "at risk" group due to health issues, yet STILL I'd rather die than put up with all the ridiculous, over-blown restrictions! When faced with the likelihood of meeting up with crowds, I either mask up or stay home (to paraphrase @RichardColeman

OK I do have the luxury of being retired but if i want to go somewhere, I think it through and make an adult decision. I also inform friends of my stance before they visit me in my home, to allow them to make similar adult decisions.

The point is let people decide for themselves whether they are willing to accept risk in order to get on with their lives!

The risk you take may have consequences for others