do you think thailand will open for westerners

nomad2019

On 8/1/2020 at 9:44 AM, ThailandRyan said:

As much as I would hope that Tourism would restart so that not only my kids could fly here for a visit but so that I could also fly back to the US and visit and then return here without any hassles, I honestly do not believe that it will occur any time before the beginning of next year.  I would hope that by then they would have these ridiculous rules they have in place resolved.  My Oldest daughter only gets two weeks of vacation and there is no way she would come and spend her vacation in quarantine and not get to visit myself and Thailand.  Pretty ridiculous as I know that most folks in the US can not take more than two weeks of vacation at one time due to the jobs they have. 

Im happy to be a chaperone for ya TR and even bring ya a Happy Meal!!! The toy is a covid mask..McMask!

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2020 at 6:26 PM, CNXexpat said:

Where do you live? I have never seen this in Chiang Mai, where 85% of the Chinese tourists are individual travelers, coming with friends or family, and spend a lot of money.

The Chinese buses used to block all streets in Pattaya. Especially second road and beach road.

• Like 1

Thai population of about 75mil, Covid cases 3,000 approx that's  .0003% and from that what approx 50 deaths so IFyou do get it the mortality rate is .02%. So you shut down the economy and livelihood of your entire population for .0000008% chance of dying , more people will die as a consequence of the shut down than the virus, suicides, murders

I feel bad for the Thai business owners here in Pattaya but to be honest it is a very good time to be in Thailand for those retired and on Pensions. I have just traveled all of northern Thailand and had a great time good fun and cheap. Good example Bangkok to Phuket for 5 Baht and tickets still to be had 

1904728701_Capture_2020-08-03-09-07-29.thumb.png.6f60ccf3bbbd2119dc272c885bd01d93.png

Having always stayed up in CNX I certainly enjoy gazing at the China Dolls in sundresses, big hats, or NY yankees caps, chuck taylors, and big sunglasses as they carry on back n forth on wechat looking for the same damn things, durian, snail white, mama cups, sim cards, wicker baskets etc....Ive showed a few around on my mbike and even dated a exchange student from China that studied at CMU..wow was she ever a cutie...

Having lived in Key West for 4 months to try the easy life, which it wasnt, crazy expensive and I struggled to pay rent to live in a remodeled laundry room and find a decent paying gig ,as its all about connections there.

But living as a "local" I too would get peeved at the "tourists", traffic, noise, loud, same as we can be to thais.

Maybe it was that I was busting my hump to simply get by, and these tourists are eating crab, seafood, happy hours, luxury hotels, boats, etc...and Im cooking a sweet potato in my crockpot and sleeping on a futon for what amounted to 23,000 baht ..was literally the size of a jail cell..but is the cost of living on a island...after 4 months I gave up and had it with crazy Floridians and tourists, so I understand the thais not wanting us there.....but on the flipside tourism is a big part of the country, and pain is a great motivator..  time will tell

4 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

I feel bad for the Thai business owners here in Pattaya but to be honest it is a very good time to be in Thailand for those retired and on Pensions. I have just traveled all of northern Thailand and had a great time good fun and cheap. Good example Bangkok to Phuket for 5 Baht and tickets still to be had 

1904728701_Capture_2020-08-03-09-07-29.thumb.png.6f60ccf3bbbd2119dc272c885bd01d93.png

Watch what that FINAL cost can be...they are the kings of nickel and diming you...proceed with caution.

I use them to fly from BKK to CNX as I can just transfer when I arrive and go thru customs...they are just like Air asia, but just tread carefully as they like to automatically add features to your final costs....

18 minutes ago, Boedog said:

Thai population of about 75mil, Covid cases 3,000 approx that's  .0003% and from that what approx 50 deaths so IFyou do get it the mortality rate is .02%. So you shut down the economy and livelihood of your entire population for .0000008% chance of dying , more people will die as a consequence of the shut down than the virus, suicides, murders

Why not try exaggeration. 

"Shut down the economy and livelihood of your entire population" ?????

You clearly have no idea what happens in Thailand. Most people outside of the tourist industry have largely seen their lives return to normal. 

You should write for the newspapers - they like sensationalism.

12 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

Watch what that FINAL cost can be...they are the kings of nickel and diming you...proceed with caution.

I use them to fly from BKK to CNX as I can just transfer when I arrive and go thru customs...they are just like Air asia, but just tread carefully as they like to automatically add features to your final costs....

270 each way less than 600 RT just checked 

On 8/1/2020 at 12:53 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Don't have any coundry in this planet whitch can close they borders for 4 to 5 years! Ok maybe North Korea but all know what happens there!

Just dont have enough money and they can't print that for ever!

Thailands enormous foreign currency reserves says otherwise. (10th highest worldwide)

On 8/1/2020 at 6:00 PM, Seagull Sam said:

Prayut / govt is claiming 95% Thais don't want us dirty farangs back. Now this is not a scientifically verified Gallup poll & I only know other farangs & those in the hospitality industry but if 100% of the people I know are screaming for the return of tourism someone's got their sums wrong.

Is there some reasoning to this or are the govt so paranoid about their tiny covid rates they are prepared to screw the tourist industry?

The conspiracy theory is that the Government do not want to open up otherwise there will be a huge pouring our of demonstrators and some say that this is their way of contolling the situation.  Fake news?   Make up your own mind.

• Confused 1

They will not allow anyone not just Westerners unless Pandemic is under control worldwide. People are still dying around the world. 

Some people with no common sense love to criticize Thai government because of strict measurements they have. These people are just ignorants or selfish ! Thailand have no domestic infections last 65 days and this is because of these strict measurements. 

People who criticize everything and anything have to turn around and look at their own countries and bitch their own governments why their people are still dying. Are Thais bitching you about your country or government? You are just a guests here in Thailand by Thai people's permission so act like a guest or you can go back to your civilized countries so you don't bitch about anything and everything if possible, no one is forcing you to live here. Just think how you feel or what you do in your own countries when immigrants are living and bitching about everything and anything about you own homeland and own government. I hate these kind of people they think they are better than Thais or their government better than Thai government.  If you know how to implant regulations or laws that will make you happier then go into politics and do it in your own country, don't interfere with Thais how they should run their own country since you are a guest here. Which is most foreigners have to live in Thailand because they can not survive in their own country with the income they have. But they think they are the king here because they can live here on 1000 US a month. These people are no different than some Thais making 10000 Baht a month because they are their own countries Thais income wise. They think they are kings and queens here but they still eat 30 Baht street food because it's  cheap. Notify is off for this reply so I will not get notifications for my reply from smart asses. Those smart asses just need to get a life. I hope Thai government bans border runs for anyone so low life kings and queens can not stay here and Thailand gets the peole who will  spend money, I mean money, not 20 USD a day.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, sencelebi said:

They will not allow anyone not just Westerners unless Pandemic is under control worldwide. People are still dying around the world. 

Some people with no common sense love to criticize Thai government because of strict measurements they have. These people are just ignorants or selfish ! Thailand have no domestic infections last 65 days and this is because of these strict measurements. 

People who criticize everything and anything have to turn around and look at their own countries and bitch their own governments why their people are still dying. Are Thais bitching you about your country or government? You are just a guests here in Thailand by Thai people's permission so act like a guest or you can go back to your civilized countries so you don't bitch about anything and everything if possible, no one is forcing you to live here. Just think how you feel or what you do in your own countries when immigrants are living and bitching about everything and anything about you own homeland and own government. I hate these kind of people they think they are better than Thais or their government better than Thai government.  If you know how to implant regulations or laws that will make you happier then go into politics and do it in your own country, don't interfere with Thais how they should run their own country since you are a guest here. Which is most foreigners have to live in Thailand because they can not survive in their own country with the income they have. But they think they are the king here because they can live here on 1000 US a month. These people are no different than some Thais making 10000 Baht a month because they are their own countries Thais income wise. They think they are kings and queens here but they still eat 30 Baht street food because it's  cheap. Notify is off for this reply so I will not get notifications for my reply from smart asses. Those smart asses just need to get a life. I hope Thai government bans border runs for anyone so low life kings and queens can not stay here and Thailand gets the peole who will  spend money, I mean money, not 20 USD a day.

A good point................................ badly made.

No doubt the unnecessary rant made you feel better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChakaKhan said:

Just looked at booking a flight to Chiang Mai, middle of the week T-F in September, promo cost below and then with there add-ons it became 3600 baht, so 1700 baht in addons that you have to pay.  So as you said you need to be aware.

Departure Flight

Departure Date: 22/09/2020 Tue 09:50
Fare: 398.00 THB
Charge: 508.00 THB
Tax: 24.71 THB
Total: 955.42 THB

Return Flight

Return Date: 25/09/2020 Fri 22:15
Fare: 398.00 THB
Charge: 508.00 THB
Tax: 24.71 THB
Total: 955.42 THB

Grand Total: 1,910.84 THB

On 8/1/2020 at 5:00 PM, Mavideol said:

very much doubt so.... with the New infections in nearby Vietnam, HK, China.... they better not

I think it would depend on the soldiers with the authority not having their income stream affected, the only way the westerners will get back in is if the authorities personal wealth is taking a hit.

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I am no racist but I can say with absolute clarity that I have not missed the Chinese one iota. 

Driving around the Pattaya area has become a far less onerous event without those buses and the lack of Chines has just made it...... well, better - nicer.

So the most important item during this pandemic is your personal driving comfort?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 9:07 PM, CorpusChristie said:

Who are the people that you ridicule for saying Thailand has wonderfully progressed in recent years ?

We all seem to be in agreement that things have taken a turn for the worse recently 

Yes, and not just recently, ever since the soldiers overthrew the elected government.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, CorpusChristie said:

LOL, are you saying that Thailand is keeping up travel restrictions just to keep sex tourists out ?

No fella show me exactly where I said that please ??  Dont twist words to suit your own agenda. Look forward to your response soonest.

In every country there are minority groups who remain xenophobic. They are a tiny minority that raise their voices when opportunities like this arise.

40 million tourists a year is too much for Thailand especially since most active tourism is focused on a few islands and a couple of cities.

thailand can use this period to reset some of it’s gnp$ to focus on other industries and services while Learning to survive on roughly 20 million tourists and the income they bring. 
the infrastructure can’t handle more than that. 
Mother Nature will rejuvenate the beauty that has been so mercilessly pounded for the past 15 years.

5 minutes ago, Chivas said:

No fella show me exactly where I said that please ??  Dont twist words to suit your own agenda. Look forward to your response soonest.

I asked you a question to clarify your post .

That isnt "twisting your words" , its asking what you words meant .