Shopping rant

bluesofa

2 hours ago, tonray said:

I don't think it was being stingy...it was being pigheaded stubborn....leave that attitude back in your home country....those behaviors are what get foreigners labeled as difficult to deal with. Go with the flow....your life will be easier and less stressful

You are right.  The further away i live from farangs the nicer the locals are to me   55

BUT ........ to be fair I have gone through the different phases of "annoyance"  that shopping for 

something can bring out .  Yes,  often the salespeople ignore us.   Sometimes they converge on us

like chinese at a lunch buffet.   Rarely do they know the products or prices.   Hey, but often they are

cute   ????  .  

Old age is a funny thing.  Sometimes one gets annoyed/ stressed so easily.   Sometimes we keep our

cool and manage to incorporate the mai pen rai  attitude.   Sometimes it depends which side of the bed I wake up on..... and how stiff (not that stiff, before the sexperts comment)  I am.

Kudos to bluesofa ..bs for short... to be able to handle the tomatoes being thrown at him with

a bit of humor.   We all can learn from that  .....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rumak said:

You are right.  The further away i live from farangs the nicer the locals are to me   55

BUT ........ to be fair I have gone through the different phases of "annoyance"  that shopping for 

something can bring out .  Yes,  often the salespeople ignore us.   Sometimes they converge on us

like chinese at a lunch buffet.   Rarely do they know the products or prices.   Hey, but often they are

cute   ????  .  

Old age is a funny thing.  Sometimes one gets annoyed/ stressed so easily.   Sometimes we keep our

cool and manage to incorporate the mai pen rai  attitude.   Sometimes it depends which side of the bed I wake up on..... and how stiff (not that stiff, before the sexperts comment)  I am.

Kudos to bluesofa ..bs for short... to be able to handle the tomatoes being thrown at him with

a bit of humor.   We all can learn from that  .....

'Kudos to bluesofa ..bs for short'

Thanks, but is that a backhanded compliment i see before me, rotten tomatoes excepted (as opposed to accepted)?

21 minutes ago, tifino said:

17 baht would have an effect on me!!

- I only ever have 30baht wallowing in my pockets...

As pedant, tell me more about how 30 Baht 'wallows' in your pockets.

How many years has this been going on, and more importantly is it the exact same 30 Baht?

• Like 1

I am with you bs  , I mean bluesofa.  About a month ago I went to the big hardware shop up here in Maechan for exactly the same reason as you. Took the old tube o lite with me so that I would get the same type .  I did get the same and they tested it , I even asked them to test the old dud one. ' No need ferlung it has black spot so kaput .'

Why would I want to come home to find I had the wrong one and have to go back ...if only 2k.

Oh . glad we have no Homepro.  A few years ago I went to Homepro for a ceiling fan. Many on display on the ceiling , all working. I said pointing at the same time " I won't that one ". After buying paint I came back and the one I pointed to was being removed from the ceiling , ok I got a discount but .............I mean really !

Oh for some above bulbs grow in the ground , lamp is better.  Well that is what I was told about 50 years ago.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

As pedant, tell me more about how 30 Baht 'wallows' in your pockets.

How many years has this been going on, and more importantly is it the exact same 30 Baht?

Mrs keeps pinching that too... so I have to keep scratching for replacement coupla coins quite often 

- it's been an ongoing (in family) joke for years (since 2013) - but I think Mrs is happy because she thinks it makes her the boss - that she can always say to others that I am poor 

- I simply now keep up the practice... in some sort of warped 'principle' way? But it now bites her back quite often when I insist on having to use the 'credit card' (her worst enemy)

• Like 1

e

31 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'Kudos to bluesofa ..bs for short'

Thanks, but is that a backhanded compliment i see before me, rotten tomatoes excepted (as opposed to accepted)?

no,  i didn't mean it that way      i kinda use everyones initials or such   like bm2,  or OD (odysseus)

very few backhands in my repertoire.     lots of tongue and cheek though

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ravip said:

A rant fully justified regarding 17 Bahts.

6 pages and #80 posts at TVF in 12 hours!

its all the same.   just a starting off point.  

some posts prime for slinging arrows

others for  calling people idiots  or  blaming a beached whale on Trump

just passing time.....................

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Id be damned embarrassed to put a story like this up. Generally the sales people are living hand to mouth.no money ...17 baht?  tip...   Christ no wonder farangs get bad reviews,its pathetic

Interesting.

There was me wanting to pay for what I'd bought, not 17 Baht more. Nothing to do with a tip, or living from hand to mouth.

The way I read that, you seem to be an apologist for being overcharged when shopping.

If you've seen the later posts, you'll see I said I didn't know if it was her money or HomePro's.

Are you happy to be overcharged? If so what's the amount where you would say something? Ten times that, or a perhaps a hundred?

As I've said a couple of times now, I didn't go in specifically complain about 17 Baht, but to change a mis-sold item. Why would customer services try to avoid paying me the money they owed me?

You probably won't want to believe this, but there was no arguing with any of the staff, no raised voices. When I was told to choose an additional product, I simply said I didn't want that, but i wanted the difference back in cash, as it wasn't me who made the mistake choosing it, but the staff sold me the item based on the sample I gave them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm not certain if it was her own money, or if it was part of some internal transaction.

I know it came out of a HomePro plastic wallet around her neck, with some other paperwork in it. For all I know, the staff member could have been the supervisor for the electrical department.

I had to sign two forms for exchanging goods, one of which went to her.

I see there's quite a few posts about the 17 Baht.

In my OP I said I took the first tube back once I'd realised it was the wrong one, and wanted to exchange it for the correct one.

I see someone even derided me over it, asking 'Who has the desire to return a bulb?' Well I do, when I wanted a white one and was given a blue-tinted one, despite having taken the old one with me to show what I wanted.

I didn't take it back purely for a refund, but in order to exchange it for the one I wanted.

Nobody has mentioned that a large store initially didn't want to refund the difference between the two items, even though they mis-sold it to me, but instead wanting me to select something additional, to avoid the refund.

I was there anyway changing the item, so the 17 Baht was part of that. It was the principle, not just the 17 Baht.

I suppose if it was 1,700 Baht, or even 170 Baht, there may have been less criticism in the replies.

The comment: 'I certainly wouldn’t ask them to test something that costs less than $2 to see if it works either.'

In the UK that wouldn't be something that's done. It's quite normal in Thailand for electrical shops to do this when you buy a lamp - without even asking.

Previously I bought a florescent fitting complete with tube, from a Lamptan distributor locally. They made a point of showing me it was working, I didn't ask them.

In HomePro the reason I asked to check was to see if the tube was warm white or daylight. If they still had the board to lest lamps, then I would have seen straight away it was blue.

when I wanted a white one and was given a blue-tinted one, despite having taken the old one with me to show what I wanted.

I didn't take it back purely for a refund, but in order to exchange it for the one I wanted.

Nobody has mentioned that a large store initially didn't want to refund the difference between the two items, even though they mis-sold it to me, but instead wanting me to select something additional, to avoid the refund.

Wasn't there ANY indication on the Lamp OR it's packing, re the specs?

Example

image.png.6b720c5f5480be6325ec1a0da09f4990.png

22 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I am with you bs  , I mean bluesofa.  About a month ago I went to the big hardware shop up here in Maechan for exactly the same reason as you. Took the old tube o lite with me so that I would get the same type .  I did get the same and they tested it , I even asked them to test the old dud one. ' No need ferlung it has black spot so kaput .'

Why would I want to come home to find I had the wrong one and have to go back ...if only 2k.

Oh . glad we have no Homepro.  A few years ago I went to Homepro for a ceiling fan. Many on display on the ceiling , all working. I said pointing at the same time " I won't that one ". After buying paint I came back and the one I pointed to was being removed from the ceiling , ok I got a discount but .............I mean really !

Oh for some above bulbs grow in the ground , lamp is better.  Well that is what I was told about 50 years ago.

Thanks.

I'm surprised to see a post in the same vein. I had trouble spotting it initially, too busy wiping the rotten tomatoes off my face.

'Why would I want to come home to find I had the wrong one and have to go back ...if only 2k'   Ha ha - there you go - fancy bringing logic into the argument.

Cheers,

I can't really get overall this angst

Guy bought tube 

They gave him tube he supposedly  wanted

They did not or couldn't wouldn't test

Tube was incorrect

He returned it and had correct replacement, there was a price difference surely shop is liable to sort this out

.....you can bet your life if replacement was 17 THB more they would have charged him

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

So they gave you a fan which had been tested as working, and a discount on top of that, what is wrong with that?

Maybe you had looked forward to getting one from the storage, and then expect them to spend some time to get it unpacked, tested, and then properly pack again?

I mean really !!